Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking microwave?

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

other than encasing the microwave in lead, there is noway you are gonna keep
all the microwaves in. If the microwave is undamaged, then it will be ok to
use.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you.
Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

woodglass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"woodglass" wrote in message
k...

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you.
Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

Then you would be a polyorchid. Personally I would worry more about having
less than two.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-13 20:36:11 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"woodglass" wrote in message
k...

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you.
Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

Then you would be a polyorchid. Personally I would worry more about
having less than two.

Adam

Didn't you know?

Most people have three....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-04-13 20:36:11 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"woodglass" wrote in message
.uk...
egroups.com...

That's a load of ******** ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-13 20:36:11 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"woodglass" wrote in message
k...

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you.
Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

Then you would be a polyorchid. Personally I would worry more about
having less than two.

Adam

Didn't you know?

Most people have three....

Hitler only had one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-13 20:36:11 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"woodglass" wrote in message
k...

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you.
Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

Then you would be a polyorchid. Personally I would worry more about
having less than two.

Adam

Didn't you know?

Most people have three....

Hitler only had one.

Nobody seems to know whether this had anything to do with Eva warming
pizzas in the microwave at the Berghof.

Was it that she looked over the Alps to Bolzano with its pizzas cooked
in a wood burning oven, but then decided that it wasn't quite sanitary
for her Fuehrer. Perhaps it was that she turned up the power level on
that first radar/microwave cooker as he stood in front of the waveguide.

She needn't have worried. In teutonic tradition, Dr, Oetker has
stepped into the breach in his white coat with his full range of
clinically sterile "Italian" food. http://www.oetker.com. One can
use a conventional oven, a microwave, a blowtorch or any other form of
calorific enhancement. The outcome will be the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , woodglass
writes

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you.
Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

He might still be waiting for them to drop ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

The crackles are probably coming from the motor which drives the turntable.

You are probably safe enough!

(borrow a microwave detector from your local secondary school if you are
really worried)

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:34:47 GMT, "John E"
wrote:

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

The crackles are probably coming from the motor which drives the turntable.

You are probably safe enough!

(borrow a microwave detector from your local secondary school if you are
really worried)

Bluetooth works in exactly the same frequency band as microwave ovens
(around 2·45 GHz). Bluetooth uses extremely low power, so any minute
radiation from the oven (running at ca. 1kW?) will very likely
overload a nearby Bluetooth device.
I wouldn't worry.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:04:12 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Bluetooth works in exactly the same frequency band as microwave ovens
(around 2·45 GHz). Bluetooth uses extremely low power, so any minute
radiation from the oven (running at ca. 1kW?) will very likely
overload a nearby Bluetooth device.

Yep, I wondered if anyone else would say that. In fact I'm rather
disappointed that this wasn't one of the first comments but I guess people
just don't know how things work these days.

With 1kW of 2.4GHz RF about even -60dB of leakage is 1W which is roughly
100 times that of a Bluetooth device. Oh and the 1W of leakage is nothing
to worry about, your mobile phone will pump out 1W of RF and you hold that
right next to your brain...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...

With 1kW of 2.4GHz RF about even -60dB of leakage is 1W which is roughly
100 times that of a Bluetooth device. Oh and the 1W of leakage is nothing
to worry about, your mobile phone will pump out 1W of RF and you hold that
right next to your brain...

But the 900MHz/1800MHz of a mobile phone doesn't have much interaction with
your brain and most of the 1W just passes through.
The 1W from a microwave is absorbed by the brain (to a depth of 2-3cm IIRC).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:21:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

But the 900MHz/1800MHz of a mobile phone doesn't have much interaction
with your brain and most of the 1W just passes through.

Try telling the newspapers that. B-)

The 1W from a microwave is absorbed by the brain (to a depth of 2-3cm
IIRC).

2.4GHz is one of the resonant frequencies of the water molecule, which is
how a microwave oven works.

What ever, 1W of RF at 0.9/1.8/2.4GHz at a few feet isn't going to hurt
you.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:13:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:04:12 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Bluetooth works in exactly the same frequency band as microwave ovens
(around 2·45 GHz). Bluetooth uses extremely low power, so any minute
radiation from the oven (running at ca. 1kW?) will very likely
overload a nearby Bluetooth device.

Yep, I wondered if anyone else would say that. In fact I'm rather
disappointed that this wasn't one of the first comments but I guess people
just don't know how things work these days.

Exactly. People expect all these 'wireless' gadgets, such as
Bluetooth, 802.11 LANs, all sorts of remote controls such as garage
door openers, house alarms, videosenders, 'walkie-talkies' and so on,
to happily coexist within a narrow uncoordinated frequency band...

The worst offenders are the broadband devices such as microwave ovens
and videosenders (often several MHz bandwidth).

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Look into "802.11g router microwave interference" on google, or...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2007 11:40:35 -0700, "Martin Pentreath"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Our new and in good condition Phillips microwave used to *flatten*
reception on the ordinary analogue telly we had in the kitchen.

Don't worry about it.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Derek Geldard
writes
wrote:

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Our new and in good condition Phillips microwave used to *flatten*
reception on the ordinary analogue telly we had in the kitchen.

That does sound rather serious!..

Don't worry about it.

DG

Well..

I saw some vegetables that had been partially rotted when left for a few
days next to a real leaky microwave.. but that was a rather old one..

Yes they can leak..

But as stated bloo-tooth uses the 2.4 band as well as a lot of other
devices and there is going to be some radiation, but I rather doubt that
its going to cause you to suffer your molecules to alter
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
Our new and in good condition Phillips microwave used to *flatten*
reception on the ordinary analogue telly we had in the kitchen.

That does sound rather serious!..

Well they shouldn't have put the telly in the microwave.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

I understand your worry, why not just move away when it is on. I won't
stand in front of mine.

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

clean the door. Apparently this can cause problems if its dirty...
rent or hire or borrow a microwave detector or pop it to the microwave
repair centre if they still exist...) but for instant peace of mind 20
quid gets you a new one.
--
http://wwww.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
http://wwww.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mogga
writes
wrote:

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

clean the door. Apparently this can cause problems if its dirty...
rent or hire or borrow a microwave detector or pop it to the microwave
repair centre if they still exist...) but for instant peace of mind 20
quid gets you a new one.

Or ...

dance round the apple tree naked singing a gnostic chant

this is guaranteed to work

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Mogga
writes
wrote:

[...]

Only under a blue moon & in the company of nine virgins! (Dunno which is
rarer tho')

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Aldi have a Draper microwave tester / screwdriver / continuity checker
in this week (from 12th onwards). £2.99

Or I'm pretty sure that B&Q sell them for £1.99, but they are a no-name
brand with screwdriver blade of terrible quality.

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-13 23:42:11 +0100, Brian L Johnson said:

Martin Pentreath wrote

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Aldi have a Draper microwave tester / screwdriver / continuity checker
in this week (from 12th onwards). £2.99

Or I'm pretty sure that B&Q sell them for £1.99, but they are a no-name

brand with screwdriver blade of terrible quality.

Both high reliability solutions. Light doesn't come on so it must be OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath laid this down on his screen :
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

Perfectly normal, there is always some small amount of leakage. Check
the case is undamaged and the door shuts cleanly.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Martin Pentreath writes
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Yeah, you'll prolly die in a few months

personally, I'd recommend removing the bluetooth ear piece, which would
a) make the problem go away and b) make you look less of a ****

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-14 00:10:45 +0100, raden said:

In message .com,
Martin Pentreath writes
Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

Yeah, you'll prolly die in a few months

personally, I'd recommend removing the bluetooth ear piece, which would
a) make the problem go away and b) make you look less of a ****

Didn't you like Uhura?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Martin Pentreath writes
I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

My Bluetooth headset has a specific bit in the instructions that
mentions that microwaves may cause signal interference.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr, 19:40, "Martin Pentreath"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

RFI is not a safety issue.
Microwaves can be checked for leakage by checking the door closes
fully, and its not misaligned or bent, and that there are no rust
holes in the cooking cavity.

Or you can follow the 'other' advice, ditch a good machine and buy a
£20 crappy one, and waste another couple of quid on a gimmick that
claims to detect microwave leakage.

Its only 1970s and earlier nukes that may leak significantly without
being damaged.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Or you can follow the 'other' advice, ditch a good machine and buy a
£20 crappy one, and waste another couple of quid on a gimmick that
claims to detect microwave leakage.

Gimmick?

Even if you think that part of it's a gimmick, it's still a circuit-
tester / fuse-checker / screwdriver / neat toy with flashing lights.

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid.

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian L
Johnson writes
wrote

Or you can follow the 'other' advice, ditch a good machine and buy a
£20 crappy one, and waste another couple of quid on a gimmick that
claims to detect microwave leakage.

Gimmick?

Even if you think that part of it's a gimmick, it's still a circuit-
tester / fuse-checker / screwdriver / neat toy with flashing lights.

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid.

But do you understand what it's actually telling you ?

I don't think so

A free with a packet of cornflakes microwave tester lighting up doesn't
necessarily mean that you're being fried, If I remember correctly, there
is a "near field" which is significantly different from the stable E-M
field displayed at a distance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid.

But do you understand what it's actually telling you ?

I don't think so

A free with a packet of cornflakes microwave tester lighting up doesn't
necessarily mean that you're being fried, If I remember correctly, there
is a "near field" which is significantly different from the stable E-M
field displayed at a distance

And IIRC the EM can't exist without the near field.

So it works.

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr, 23:19, Brian L Johnson wrote:
raden wrote

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid.

But do you understand what it's actually telling you ?

I don't think so

A free with a packet of cornflakes microwave tester lighting up doesn't
necessarily mean that you're being fried, If I remember correctly, there
is a "near field" which is significantly different from the stable E-M
field displayed at a distance

And IIRC the EM can't exist without the near field.

So it works.

Thats optimistic, many dont work at all. Of those that do function,
they dont tell you what level the field is, and dont distinguish
between one freuency and another from somewhere else, making them of
little use.

And the fact that theyre an irrelvance to start with makes them even
less use. Leakage testers were appropriate technology back in the 70s,
but not today. Microwave oven design has left that issue behind
decades ago.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian L
Johnson writes
Or you can follow the 'other' advice, ditch a good machine and buy a
£20 crappy one, and waste another couple of quid on a gimmick that
claims to detect microwave leakage.

Gimmick?

Even if you think that part of it's a gimmick, it's still a circuit-
tester / fuse-checker / screwdriver / neat toy with flashing lights.

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid.

I tried one. I put it in the microwave and when I turned it on the LED
lit briefly followed by a loud bang and it went on fire.

Does this mean the microwaves safe?

--
Betty Bigbaps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive Mitchell
writes
In message , Brian L
Johnson writes
Or you can follow the 'other' advice, ditch a good machine and buy a
£20 crappy one, and waste another couple of quid on a gimmick that
claims to detect microwave leakage.

Gimmick?

Even if you think that part of it's a gimmick, it's still a circuit-
tester / fuse-checker / screwdriver / neat toy with flashing lights.

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid.

I tried one. I put it in the microwave and when I turned it on the LED
lit briefly followed by a loud bang and it went on fire.

Does this mean the microwaves safe?

Dunno, but it certainly sounds like the tester is

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if
I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave
on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with
the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I
would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for
£19.99 from Argos.

Why on earth would you get another? Microwave ovens use a very
simple and extraordinarily reliable method of stopping things leak
out of the door. It is called a choke seal and relies upon the
distance from the oven cavity to body edge. It is therefore very
robust - apart from physically bending the door to create a gap it
will work. All the stories you hear about dirt on the seal are daft
(unless its a pizza trapped in the door).

That said, all leak a little bit and that trivial leakage is usually
enough to disturb Bluetooth which is very low power to begin with.

A new oven would probably do exactly the same.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/