Mike Atkinson {reply address in .sig}

Default Power screwdriver recommendation?

My trusty B&D driver doesn't hold charge anymore, and needs replacing
(although I haven't yet investigated options as to getting the battery
replaced). Can anyone recommend a replacement? Similar questions have
been asked before, but previous threads seem to soon diverge into
discussing the merits of cordless drill/driver combinations.

I'm looking for a *light* driver with torque control. Although this will
be used for driving into wood, etc, more often than not it'll be used
around the house. I lose track of the number of times that I've been
using this fully stretched or in tight corners, and so for this reason I
*don't* want a combination drill/driver - just a standard straight or
angled driver.

Given that this tool has been by far the most useful tool I've ever
bought, I'm prepared to spend to get the right replacement. Previous
threads have mentioned the Matabo at (gulp) ~£70. Does this have
variable speed (trigger sensitive I presume)? Variable speed is the only
thing I miss on my existing driver. Is it possible to get this feature
on a standard driver?

Many thanks in advance for any response,
Mike.

--
Dr. Michael Atkinson, GeoQuest Simulation Software Development
Note that email address in the headers is cleared monthly and NOT read.
druid

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:09:35 +0100, "Mike Atkinson {reply address in
..sig}" wrote:

I'm looking for a *light* driver with torque control. Although this will
be used for driving into wood, etc, more often than not it'll be used
around the house. I lose track of the number of times that I've been
using this fully stretched or in tight corners, and so for this reason I
*don't* want a combination drill/driver - just a standard straight or
angled driver.

Mike.

I realise that you don't want to spend too much but sometimes it pays
to buy a better product if it really does last a lot longer, I have
had lots of drill/drivers over the last 25 years for both work and
home use but only one stands out as being superb and that is the
Makita 6095 (now the 6096 £99.99 at Screwfix) I bought this tool many
years ago and it is still going strong and is in regular use.

The driver comes with two batteries so one is never stuck when the
power runs out and it always does the jobs I give it to do, I have
several cheaper models IMHO they are useless after using the 6095.

The Makita has outlasted all of my other drill/driver purchases and
TBH I am considering buying the 6096 as a second tool.

I am not 'knocking' other good makes of driver such as Dewalt etc and
they are probably as decent as the Makita, but I have not tried them.

John.

Fake labelled Power Tools StealthUK UK diy 3 September 12th 03 10:37 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM
Power to Garage and Shed/workshop Eric the Red UK diy 3 August 29th 03 06:22 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM
Power sockets in brick shed Andy Jeffries UK diy 9 July 31st 03 09:53 AM