Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default novice wallpaper troubles

Novice has just emptied bedroom of furniture prior to having it recarpeted.
The walls have wallpaper on them that have been re-painted with white
emulsion.

The person who originally put on this second layer of wallpaper has
wallpapered *around* a flat mirror that was screwed to the wall. (instead
of undoing four screws and taking it off the wall to wallpaper the whole
wall ).

Consequently there is a big square patch of the first wallpaper. I have
never done any wallpapering and my neighbour has given me the Readers Digest
' Repair Manual' ( printed 1976 ). Reading all the complications it lists,
is enough to put off this novice, and anyway I just dont have the time for
this work.

At the moment all I can think of to solve the problem, is to sandpaper the
edge of the outermost wallpaper and smear on the good old polyfilla, to try
to get a reasonable flat finish to the edges to emulsion over.

Is this the best way to go ? without the too onerous task of a lot of fresh
wallpapering. thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a textured wallpaper or just "flat"? To be honest I think I would just
strip the wallpaper (maybe just from the one wall), then lining paper if
necessary, or just paint. I wouldn't even think about with sanding, filling,
feathering etc: it will just show through unless you use a lot of time,
effort, and skill. Stripping wallpaper with a steam stripper is really
easy. Or paint and put up with the "frame" until redecorating properly. Or
put up a big poster or picture over it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

torge conrad maguar wrote:
[...]

Don't try to unbodge a bodge, you'll be sorry! You'll end up having to take
the wall paper off with one layer of polyfilla. Or end up 'living' with the
bodge and it will annoy you every time you look at it.

Take all the wall paper off. It's the best way. Then you can paint, fill,
sand, & paint the wall and be proud!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

[...]

Wallpaper over the patch with a distinctively different paper and edge with
a border roll. Repeat a couple of times elsewhere in the room and call it a
feature.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

torge conrad maguar wrote:
[...]

Don't do it!

If you do you will regret it later.

It is very difficult to make a good job when there is old wallpaper and
your attempts at sanding and filling will make a bad job even worse...

I'm afraid to say that you really need to bite the bullet and start afresh.

Sorry!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
DIY DIY is offline

"torge conrad maguar" wrote:
[...]

If you don't have time to do a proper job then that leaves three options, do
another diy bodge, get someone in to do it for, or get something to hide the
area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
"torge conrad maguar" writes:
The person who originally put on this second layer of wallpaper has
wallpapered *around* a flat mirror that was screwed to the wall. (instead
of undoing four screws and taking it off the wall to wallpaper the whole
wall ).

I bought my first house from a decorator. He and his wife were
telling me how they hadn't realised until the day they moved
in 4 years before, that the previous owned hadn't carpeted
under the bed or the wardrobe or the sideboard, so they'd had
to start by getting the carpets replaced. Well, guess what?
When I moved in I discovered the _decorator_ hadn't papered
behind the wardrobe! Funny how it was comically stupid not to
carpet under one, yet perfectly OK not to decorate behind one...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Many thanks to all. Of all the suggestions, (one that i'm assuming didn't
involve me having to put up any paper) and which addressed the whole wall
was:

Take all the wall paper off. It's the best way. Then you can paint, fill,
sand, & paint the wall and be proud! ....... Vodkajelly

I had to peel a bit of wallpaper away and underneath was what i'm assuming
was 'lining' paper.

If i was to try to use some polyfilla to smooth off the whole wall without
using lining paper, what is the best polyfilla to use please?

There are so many variations on the shelves of diy shops and i know from
experience some pollyfillas are very hard to sand down.

So is it feasible to forget lining paper and emulsion straight on to a
'filled and sanded' plastered wall? If so what type of polyfilla to go for
please? thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:20:14 GMT, "torge conrad maguar"
wrote:

Many thanks to all. Of all the suggestions, (one that i'm assuming didn't
involve me having to put up any paper) and which addressed the whole wall
was:

Take all the wall paper off. It's the best way. Then you can paint, fill,
sand, & paint the wall and be proud! ....... Vodkajelly

I had to peel a bit of wallpaper away and underneath was what i'm assuming
was 'lining' paper.

If i was to try to use some polyfilla to smooth off the whole wall without
using lining paper, what is the best polyfilla to use please?

There are so many variations on the shelves of diy shops and i know from
experience some pollyfillas are very hard to sand down.

So is it feasible to forget lining paper and emulsion straight on to a
'filled and sanded' plastered wall? If so what type of polyfilla to go for
please? thanks again.

Not sure that Vodkajelly didn't mean paper after removing the old
paper then to paint it but dunno. If you take off the old paper you'll
be left with plaster and who knows what condition it will be in so you
will need to fill any blemishes in that and thats what lining paper is
for ...to give you a surface suitable for emulsioning .

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

[...]

I had a tatty wall that I wanted to paint and am very pleased with the
results of using Polycell's Smoothover. It was easy to apply and did the
job fine. You may have to buy an applicator tool as well although I used a
rubber squeegee type thing meant for grouting. Here is a link to
Smoothover
http://tinyurl.com/3yrwd8
--
Keith Willcocks

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:20:14 GMT, "torge conrad maguar"
mused:

Many thanks to all. Of all the suggestions, (one that i'm assuming didn't
involve me having to put up any paper) and which addressed the whole wall
was:

Take all the wall paper off. It's the best way. Then you can paint, fill,
sand, & paint the wall and be proud! ....... Vodkajelly

I had to peel a bit of wallpaper away and underneath was what i'm assuming
was 'lining' paper.

Or the backing of the wallpaper you peeled half of off?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
DIY DIY is offline

"torge conrad maguar" wrote:
[...]

Filler is not meant for whole walls, it is for filling holes and cracks. For
a whole wall you need something like Polycell SmoothOver or one-coat
plaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

DIY wrote:
"torge conrad maguar" wrote:
[...]

The Wickes versions of these plaster substitutes are much better value.
I think the OP would be better putting a picture on the wall rather than
trying to match the surrounding wall texture. No chance, whatever you use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

torge conrad maguar wrote:

I had to peel a bit of wallpaper away and underneath was what i'm assuming
was 'lining' paper.

You will find it very difficult to remove just one layer of paper unless
the top coat is one that delaminates easily (like some vinyl papers)

If i was to try to use some polyfilla to smooth off the whole wall without
using lining paper, what is the best polyfilla to use please?

Polyfilla is ok for small cracks and blemishes. Personally I prefer some
of the ultra lightweight fillers you can get since they are over
paintable in 5 mins.

A tub of ready mixed artex makes for a very cheap and easy to sand
filler. Same goes for the filler designed for dry lining (15kg bag for
about £10). It goes on easily and is designed to be sanded.

So is it feasible to forget lining paper and emulsion straight on to a
'filled and sanded' plastered wall?

It is, but you will need to assess the state of the wall once the paper
is off. Then decide if the effort in patching is greater than in lining
etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Treadmill Troubles [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 1st 07 08:28 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
Dishwasher Troubles Barbara Devaney Home Repair 2 November 11th 05 08:13 PM
Novice Richard Clements Woodworking 11 August 28th 04 10:01 PM
Lathe Troubles Donald Vivian Woodturning 8 July 22nd 04 08:12 AM