Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom floor tips please

I am considering vinyl tiles or sheet for a small bathroom - on first floor.
The floor is T&G with some gaps and a bit of unevenness.

I guess I need to cover the floor with ply or hardboard next. What are the
pros and cons and what spec should I buy?

How should I fix it down and should I consider anything between the boards
and the ply or hardboard.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:44:49 GMT, "John"
wrote:

I am considering vinyl tiles or sheet for a small bathroom - on first floor.
The floor is T&G with some gaps and a bit of unevenness.

I guess I need to cover the floor with ply or hardboard next. What are the
pros and cons and what spec should I buy?

How should I fix it down and should I consider anything between the boards
and the ply or hardboard.

Thanks

Get sheet. You can bin it and replace at regular intervals. Use the
old as a template for cutting the replacement.

Tiles you have to live with and the scuffs and crap on them that has
to be cleaned off is ridiculous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know this might sound excessive, but if you can cope with the
thickness then 9mm ply is best. 6mm is ok for vinyl, but over time
will shape to profile of t&g if it is cupped. Other advantage of 9mm
is that it can be tiles over at a later date if desired (though 12mm
is best if that is the case). Unfortunately, no matter what material
you chose, you will have to screw it down every 6 inches.
Good luck
Calum Sabey
NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this might sound excessive, but if you can cope with the
thickness then 9mm ply is best. 6mm is ok for vinyl, but over time
will shape to profile of t&g if it is cupped. Other advantage of 9mm
is that it can be tiles over at a later date if desired (though 12mm
is best if that is the case). Unfortunately, no matter what material
you chose, you will have to screw it down every 6 inches.
Good luck
Calum Sabey
NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Are any adhesives suitable as an alternative to lots of screws?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote

Are any adhesives suitable as an alternative to lots of screws?

No, no, no.........always leave the option to lift the floor!
Particularly important for bathrooms where there are services and potential
leaks as well as wiring below the floor most likely.
IMHO avoid tiles and stick with lino/cushion floor, unless you like a cold
slippy surface that collects dirt and unmentionables in grout lines.

Phil

laminate floor tips? [email protected] Home Repair 9 November 14th 06 12:33 AM
Varnishing Pine Bathroom Door - Tips? David Smithz UK diy 10 March 9th 06 06:55 PM
Time Saving Bathroom Cleaning Tips CRCoupons.com Home Ownership 0 September 22nd 05 09:41 PM
Floor tiling tips kd UK diy 2 September 11th 05 08:27 PM
Floor sanding tips Christian McArdle UK diy 4 August 23rd 04 05:15 PM