Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Going rate for adding a radiator to existing system?

Hi,

I'm looking at adding a radiator to my existing (pressurised) system.
It looks to me like a fairly simple job (there is a plinth heater not
far away, and all the piping could be run under kitchen cupboards and
then straight through the wall), but I've been quoted anything between
£200 and £280 for the job.

Are these reasonable prices? Given that the radiator itself seems
fairly cheap (45ish from Screwfix for a 600x800 convector) this seems
high - but I've never had a plumber in before. I'm increasingly
tempted to have a go myself. The plinth heater is in series with the
existing pipework and has some kind of push-fit connection with
flexible hoses - so I presume I could just tap off somehow? One
problem is that is not clear whether the connectors are re-usable or
not.

I'd be grateful for any pointers / opinions.

Thanks

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Mar, 23:26, wrote:
[...]

If it is such a simple job then d.i.y
Look at it as a 1 day job ... tradesman (outside home counties)
around £125.
Add to that materials..
Fit rad, drain system, route in pipes, splice into system, make
joints, flush, refill, add inhibitor ... test ... and warranty the
work.
Incl. time taken to come to site to view job, and then time to get
materials, transport.etc.

Remember you may view this as less than a full day ... but he is
unlikely to do another job that day so needs to cover day rate.

£200 seems pretty fair ...

I wouldn't do it for less.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for these, very helpful.

I think I'll either go for the £200 quote or else do it slowly myself
over the Summer!

Thanks again

James