DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   No more filament bulbs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/195011-no-more-filament-bulbs.html)

Mike Clarke March 17th 07 10:52 PM

No more filament bulbs

David Hansen wrote:

However, low powered dusk to dawn lights are better at
deterring criminals.

They might be a better deterrent but not necessarily a sound environmental
solution. The 60W PIR light outside our door is on for about 2 to 3 minutes
at a time every hour or so. To satisfy the environmentalists I'll have to
replace it with a 11W CFL running continuously for several hours per night.
I suppose it makes sense to the politicians.

--
Mike Clarke

Andy Hall March 17th 07 11:10 PM

No more filament bulbs

On 2007-03-17 22:52:17 +0000, Mike Clarke said:

David Hansen wrote:

However, low powered dusk to dawn lights are better at
deterring criminals.

They might be a better deterrent but not necessarily a sound environmental
solution. The 60W PIR light outside our door is on for about 2 to 3 minutes
at a time every hour or so. To satisfy the environmentalists I'll have to
replace it with a 11W CFL running continuously for several hours per night.
I suppose it makes sense to the politicians.

Of course.

It will come in a plastic blister pack because it's a high priced item,
whereas the filament bulb will come in a cardboard box.

David Hansen March 18th 07 12:56 PM

No more filament bulbs

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:17:26 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm
wrote this:-

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

In what location do you have lamps at -10C?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen March 18th 07 12:58 PM

No more filament bulbs

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:22:50 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

concerned about candle bulbs.

Noting in
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...t.asp?Prod=105 that
suits?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Jim Alexander March 18th 07 01:13 PM

No more filament bulbs

wrote this:-

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

In what location do you have lamps at -10C?

Above my front door - but only when it's -10 outside.

Jim A

John Rumm March 18th 07 03:00 PM

No more filament bulbs

wrote this:-

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

In what location do you have lamps at -10C?

My fridge...

or outside in the winter some days (of half the year in some countries)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher March 18th 07 05:04 PM

No more filament bulbs

wrote this:-

concerned about candle bulbs.

Noting in
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...t.asp?Prod=105 that
suits?

er - I implied that I wasn't worried about them :-)

The existing ones don't look like candles ...

Mary

Mary Fisher March 18th 07 05:05 PM

No more filament bulbs

"John" wrote in message

I am very happy to try and recycle, to save energy, to use timeswitches,
but why force me to use a bulb which "probably" costs more energy to
make AND recycle than a cheapo one?

What makes you think that?

If it's true, how much more energy does it take?

Mary

Mary Fisher March 18th 07 05:07 PM

No more filament bulbs

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:42:32 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as
undimmed ones.

But they do allow you to vary the lighting depending upon your
requirements
of the moment, such as when entering our children's bedroom when one of
them wakes at night and only putting on a dim light, enough to see by,
without waking the other child or for mood lighting.

Mood lighting?

Mary

Mary Fisher March 18th 07 05:09 PM

No more filament bulbs

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

My guess is that a future phasing-out of incandescent lamps will start
with standard BS/ES fittings, where the vast bulk of the savings are to
be made, and the more esoteric types will follow quite some time later.

Yes, but that sounds like The Voice of Reason ... you can't expect folk to
agree with it. They'll say you've been got at, brainwashed by the Green
Police or somesuch :-)

Mary

The Natural Philosopher March 18th 07 05:29 PM

No more filament bulbs

wrote this:-

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

In what location do you have lamps at -10C?

Its very possible for outside lights in this country.

I've seen -15C on occasions.

The Natural Philosopher March 18th 07 05:30 PM

No more filament bulbs

wrote this:-

concerned about candle bulbs.

Noting in
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...t.asp?Prod=105 that
suits?

Fabulous. When my existing stock of bulbs runs out, those go in the non
dimmable holders..

The Natural Philosopher March 18th 07 05:31 PM

No more filament bulbs

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:42:32 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as
undimmed ones.

But they do allow you to vary the lighting depending upon your
requirements
of the moment, such as when entering our children's bedroom when one of
them wakes at night and only putting on a dim light, enough to see by,
without waking the other child or for mood lighting.

Mood lighting?

As in 'lighting that puts you in a bad mood'

Mary

Derek Geldard March 18th 07 05:39 PM

No more filament bulbs

wrote this:-

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

In what location do you have lamps at -10C?

Its very possible for outside lights in this country.

I've seen -15C on occasions.

I encountered -20c for several nights on the run once.

My car had been in for a repair and had been refilled without enough
antifreeze in the coolant and would freeze up and overheat if driven
over about 35 mph, I had to blank off the radiator grille and bonnet
top with a piece of carpet.

DG