Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas fire goes out

I have used a Cannon Caress gas fire for several years without any
problem. It's now taken to going out, quite suddenly, after anywhere
from fifteen minutes to an hour or more on any setting. It can be
blazing away cheerfully on the highest setting, for example, then give
a slight 'clunk' or click and its off ! I turn the gas off , just to
be on the safe side but its then some time before it is willing to
restart.

Any advice gratefully received.

Harry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart B" wrote

I have used a Cannon Caress gas fire for several years without any
problem. It's now taken to going out, quite suddenly, after anywhere
from fifteen minutes to an hour or more on any setting. It can be
blazing away cheerfully on the highest setting, for example, then give
a slight 'clunk' or click and its off ! I turn the gas off , just to
be on the safe side but its then some time before it is willing to
restart.

Any advice gratefully received.

If this is a modern appliance it could also have a safety thermocouple
arrangement (can't remember correct terminology).
This senses the presence of a flame and if the flame is lost, drops the
burner valve out.
If this goes faulty it can cause the main valve to close thinking that the
flame has gone when it hasn't.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 17:26, "TheScullster" wrote:
"Stuart B" wrote

I have used a Cannon Caress gas fire for several years without any
problem. It's now taken to going out, quite suddenly, after anywhere
from fifteen minutes to an hour or more on any setting. It can be
blazing away cheerfully on the highest setting, for example, then give
a slight 'clunk' or click and its off ! I turn the gas off , just to
be on the safe side but its then some time before it is willing to
restart.

Any advice gratefully received.

If this is a modern appliance it could also have a safety thermocouple
arrangement (can't remember correct terminology).
This senses the presence of a flame and if the flame is lost, drops the
burner valve out.
If this goes faulty it can cause the main valve to close thinking that the
flame has gone when it hasn't.

Phil

Thanks Phil and StuartB. It hasn't been serviced so I think thats the
way to go.
Cheers

Harry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used a Cannon Caress gas fire for several years without any
problem. It's now taken to going out, quite suddenly, after anywhere
from fifteen minutes to an hour or more on any setting.

If this is a modern appliance it could also have a safety thermocouple
arrangement (can't remember correct terminology).
This senses the presence of a flame and if the flame is lost, drops the
burner valve out.

I'm no expert, but I think they have oxygen depletion sensors too, which
have the same effect (our fire did the same for a while, got someone
out, and IIRC all they needed to do was blast some air at it to clear
away fluff).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 02:08:31 -0800, dognme22 wrote:

I have used a Cannon Caress gas fire for several years without any
problem. It's now taken to going out, quite suddenly, after anywhere
from fifteen minutes to an hour or more on any setting. It can be
blazing away cheerfully on the highest setting, for example, then give
a slight 'clunk' or click and its off ! I turn the gas off , just to
be on the safe side but its then some time before it is willing to
restart.

Any advice gratefully received.

Harry.

It sounds like the Oxygen depletion sensor is tripping.

This could be due to any one of a number of reasons some of which are
trivial and some of which are potentially serious cause for concern.
It could be the pilot flame is dirty or the fire could be tring its best
not to kill you.

I suggest you get professional help in forthwith.

Gas Fire - Fire basket and gas engine or just a simple Valor gas fire? Farouq UK diy 2 March 6th 06 11:04 PM
New gas Fire Davao UK diy 1 February 1st 06 08:35 PM
New Gas Fire .... Alwoods UK diy 5 November 20th 05 02:15 PM
Gas Fire Mr Pounder UK diy 4 September 20th 04 08:28 PM
gas fire logized UK diy 2 August 10th 04 11:16 PM