Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lining a shed.... suggestions please ?

Hi All

Mr Shedman has finally managed to erect the sides & roof of my new
shed - aka Stained Glass studio.

Apart from a minor up-cock due to the temporary plastic covering on
the roof blowing off in a F8 Gale and soaking the new mdf flooring
(yes, I know, I shouldn't be so impatient !) - I'm now considering how
best to line out the inside of the studio.

Main aim is to have a internal surface that can be easily decorated,
to get the maximum amount of light....

Currently there's just the studwork and black damp-proof membrane
visible - and the place looks like a bit of a cave !

I was considering using plasterboard on the walls. There will be
things like kilns, blowtorches and soldering irons in use - so a
(reasonably) non-combustible lining material would seem like a good
plan - I was also going to re-use some recycled ceramic tiles around
and underneath the area where the kiln is sited.

Can't think of a better material than plasterboard - but though I'd
ask just in case anybody has any better suggestions g

Many thanks in advance
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:48:58 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

[...]

I've internally lined a brickbuilt garage, a cabin and a shed.

For all of them, I either used pressure treated timber or a solvent
based preservative first - not the mimsy watery stuff. Clear Cuprinol
is good for this.

I then used 50mm Celotex between the studs making sure of a 25mm gap
behind for ventilation. This has a vapour barrier both sides. In
order to allow ventilation for the gap, I fitted small round
ventilators into soffits and near the bottoms of the walls. If there
were no membrane immediately behind the outer wood, it wouldn't be
necessary since the gaps in the timber would provide enough
ventilation.

For the garage and the shed, I clad the walls internally with 18mm ply
and then painted it white. I also wanted plenty of reflection of
light. The advantage of ply vs. plasterboard is not only general
strength but also that one can fit small to medium sized items
directly to it without consideration of the strength of fixing.

Heavier items like cupboards and shelves are fitted to studs.

Heaviest items, such as my dust extractor (130kg) are bolted to
substantial horizontal timber members in turn bolted to the studs.

I don't see a particular flammability problem provided that one
protects the areas around items that are going to get hot and remain
so when you aren't there. You could overlay the ply with Masterboard
or Knauf fire retardent board for those areas, or ceramic tiles.

For wall cupboards and shelves, I have used a modular system to build
them, whereby they are in units of 1,2,3 and so on wide. They are
attached to the walls using French cleats to allow for wuick
relocation if I need to alter layout or design.
These are easy to do. A strip of wood is ripped on the table saw at
45 degrees and one length fitted to the wall screwed to the studs.
The other is cut and fastened to the backs of the cupboards and shelf
units at the top. An additional length of wood of the same depth
timber is cut and fixed at the bottoms as spacers. The units can
then be hung and removed from the wall very easily.

For electrical services, I have gone for surface mounting everything
using a combination of three compartment trunking and 20 and 25mm
conduit. This allows for easy addition and change of outlets and
there is zero risk of anything being screwed through a cable.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
[...]

P-board isn't suitable for sheds - moisture in the air causes it to fall
apart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

Thanks for the comments....

wrote:

[...]

Interesting.
In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any
insulation......

For the garage and the shed, I clad the walls internally with 18mm ply
and then painted it white. I also wanted plenty of reflection of
light. The advantage of ply vs. plasterboard is not only general
strength but also that one can fit small to medium sized items
directly to it without consideration of the strength of fixing.

I'd thought about ply - but had reservations on the grounds of cost.
I suppose OSB is an alternative - but does not have such a good
surface finish.....

Heavier items like cupboards and shelves are fitted to studs.

Heaviest items, such as my dust extractor (130kg) are bolted to
substantial horizontal timber members in turn bolted to the studs.

I don't see a particular flammability problem provided that one
protects the areas around items that are going to get hot and remain
so when you aren't there. You could overlay the ply with Masterboard
or Knauf fire retardent board for those areas, or ceramic tiles.

Yes - my thinking also

For wall cupboards and shelves, I have used a modular system to build
them, whereby they are in units of 1,2,3 and so on wide. They are
attached to the walls using French cleats to allow for wuick
relocation if I need to alter layout or design.
These are easy to do. A strip of wood is ripped on the table saw at
45 degrees and one length fitted to the wall screwed to the studs.
The other is cut and fastened to the backs of the cupboards and shelf
units at the top. An additional length of wood of the same depth
timber is cut and fixed at the bottoms as spacers. The units can
then be hung and removed from the wall very easily.

Sounds clever !
I was planning something much simpler.
Shelving on the back wall, salvaged kitchen units & kitchen worktop
under the front windows.

Other storage to be free-standing

For electrical services, I have gone for surface mounting everything
using a combination of three compartment trunking and 20 and 25mm
conduit. This allows for easy addition and change of outlets and
there is zero risk of anything being screwed through a cable.

Yes - same plan here..

Many thanks for the comments / suggestions

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Phil

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:06:49 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
[...]

Hmm

I'm hoping that (once I've dried out the studio from the
aforementioned cock-up) it's not going to be damp in there....
May even end up with a certian level of backrgound heat - and plety of
ventilation.

Back in the UK we used (foil-backed) plasterboard on treated studwork
with a proper dpm to make a previously uninhabitable basement room in
our Church into a nice, dry, warm room. This was on the advice of our
builder - and the building control people...

I do understand that plasterboard in very damp conditions will fall
apart - but I hope that's not going to be the case here...

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Hmm

I'm hoping that (once I've dried out the studio from the
aforementioned cock-up) it's not going to be damp in there....
May even end up with a certian level of backrgound heat - and plety of
ventilation.

if this is the case then you may get away with it, but PB draws moisture out
of the air, and this includes the air behind it.

Back in the UK we used (foil-backed) plasterboard on treated studwork
with a proper dpm to make a previously uninhabitable basement room in
our Church into a nice, dry, warm room. This was on the advice of our
builder - and the building control people...

foilbacked may work but it's twice the price of regular PB, as is moisture
resistant PB...saying that, they are still probably cheaper than plywood or
OSB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I'd thought about ply - but had reservations on the grounds of cost.
I suppose OSB is an alternative - but does not have such a good
surface finish.....

You could use OSB for strength and something that you can easily screw
into, and then PB over the top for an easy to decorate surface with some
more fire protection.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 23:40:45 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

I'd thought about ply - but had reservations on the grounds of cost.
I suppose OSB is an alternative - but does not have such a good
surface finish.....

You could use OSB for strength and something that you can easily screw
into, and then PB over the top for an easy to decorate surface with some
more fire protection.

Hmm - 'spose I could..... but it sounds a bit like doing the job twice

Somebody else suggested OSB with 'local' fire resistance - in the
areas where problems could occur (mostly around the kiln and where
open flames / soldering irons are in use).

A few months ago I was researching combined public liability &
premises insurance - and the lady on the other end of the phone went
all twittery and nervous when I admitted that soldering irons might be
in use in the studio - her concern was the potential fire hazard....

I guess a couple of remote-indicating smoke detectors might be a wise
precaution...

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Phil

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:21:45 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Hmm

I'm hoping that (once I've dried out the studio from the
aforementioned cock-up) it's not going to be damp in there....
May even end up with a certian level of backrgound heat - and plety of
ventilation.

if this is the case then you may get away with it, but PB draws moisture out
of the air, and this includes the air behind it.

True....
It's looking more like OSB then -
To be honest - I prefer working with OSB, and I can always use filler
or even wooden battens to cover the joints between boards....

Now the $64,000 question - is it worth the additional hassle of lining
out the ceiling.....?? g

Currently I'm thinking 'no' - just because my builder's mate & I are
getting to the age where holding sheets of OSB up in the air has lost
some of novelty value - and I could just as easily paint the underside
of the timber that they've used for the roof.....

I would need to devise some boxing in for the steelwork - but that
looks fairly do-able....

Thanks again
Adrian

Back in the UK we used (foil-backed) plasterboard on treated studwork
with a proper dpm to make a previously uninhabitable basement room in
our Church into a nice, dry, warm room. This was on the advice of our
builder - and the building control people...

foilbacked may work but it's twice the price of regular PB, as is moisture
resistant PB...saying that, they are still probably cheaper than plywood or
OSB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes

A few months ago I was researching combined public liability &
premises insurance - and the lady on the other end of the phone went
all twittery and nervous when I admitted that soldering irons might be
in use in the studio - her concern was the potential fire hazard....

I guess a couple of remote-indicating smoke detectors might be a wise
precaution...

There is a *factories and warehouse guide* for fire safety at
www.communities.gov.uk/pub/395 etc. you will have to dig around the
site for the pdf. the full version is 2.5mb!

Also an online form to assess compliance at
http://www.fire.gov.uk/Workplace+saf...alObligations/

Fairly basic stuff but it helps to keep your insurers happy.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Tim

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:46:23 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes

A few months ago I was researching combined public liability &
premises insurance - and the lady on the other end of the phone went
all twittery and nervous when I admitted that soldering irons might be
in use in the studio - her concern was the potential fire hazard....

I guess a couple of remote-indicating smoke detectors might be a wise
precaution...

There is a *factories and warehouse guide* for fire safety at
www.communities.gov.uk/pub/395 etc. you will have to dig around the
site for the pdf. the full version is 2.5mb!

Also an online form to assess compliance at
http://www.fire.gov.uk/Workplace+saf...alObligations/

Fairly basic stuff but it helps to keep your insurers happy.

regards

Thanks for the links - I'll go have a look....

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Interesting.
In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any
insulation......

Depends what you want to keep in there. Occasional condensation might be
acceptable if it's just a shed, but from what you are saying, this will
actually be a workshop... or even a studio.

When building a workshop in a very similar climate - mild, but very wet
and windy - I fitted panels of 50mm of styrofoam into the 100x50
framing, leaving another 50mm breathing space behind the insulation.
However, the insulation was not added until I had seen how the outside
walls performed in a storm or two, and had caulked any gaps where water
had been driven in.

Then the walls were clad internally, to finish off the draught-proofing
and provide good surfaces for shelving.

I tend to agree with others that it probably doesn't make sense to line
the entire space with plasterboard for fireproofing reasons, given that
it's a wooden structure anyway. However, only you can assess the real
operating risks there.

For the garage and the shed, I clad the walls internally with 18mm ply
and then painted it white. I also wanted plenty of reflection of
light. The advantage of ply vs. plasterboard is not only general
strength but also that one can fit small to medium sized items
directly to it without consideration of the strength of fixing.

I'd thought about ply - but had reservations on the grounds of cost. I
suppose OSB is an alternative - but does not have such a good surface
finish.....

OSB doesn't look as pretty as ply, but it will be OK from a strictly
functional point of view (provided of course that the exterior
waterproofing is good). On the other hand, if this is actually a studio
where you might want to invite customers, a higher standard of finish
might be a good idea.

So it all depends what you really want this building to be. Is it only a
humble shed... or a workshop... or a studio... or in your heart of
hearts, is it really your Winter Palace?

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Ian

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:02:25 +0000, Ian White
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Interesting.
In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any
insulation......

Depends what you want to keep in there. Occasional condensation might be
acceptable if it's just a shed, but from what you are saying, this will
actually be a workshop... or even a studio.

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

When building a workshop in a very similar climate - mild, but very wet
and windy - I fitted panels of 50mm of styrofoam into the 100x50
framing, leaving another 50mm breathing space behind the insulation.
However, the insulation was not added until I had seen how the outside
walls performed in a storm or two, and had caulked any gaps where water
had been driven in.

I'm not certain about the insulation - we may end up putting the
heat-pump in there - in which case the 'heat leakage' from that will
do nicely to keep the chill off the place. The outside walls are thick
shiplap on 1000-gauge black dpm - and seem to have stood up pretty
well to the gales we've had in recent days.

Then the walls were clad internally, to finish off the draught-proofing
and provide good surfaces for shelving.

I tend to agree with others that it probably doesn't make sense to line
the entire space with plasterboard for fireproofing reasons, given that
it's a wooden structure anyway. However, only you can assess the real
operating risks there.

Yes - I'm thinking more towards OSB rather than plasterboard..

For the garage and the shed, I clad the walls internally with 18mm ply
and then painted it white. I also wanted plenty of reflection of
light. The advantage of ply vs. plasterboard is not only general
strength but also that one can fit small to medium sized items
directly to it without consideration of the strength of fixing.

I'd thought about ply - but had reservations on the grounds of cost. I
suppose OSB is an alternative - but does not have such a good surface
finish.....

OSB doesn't look as pretty as ply, but it will be OK from a strictly
functional point of view (provided of course that the exterior
waterproofing is good). On the other hand, if this is actually a studio
where you might want to invite customers, a higher standard of finish
might be a good idea.

Difficult balance.
Painted OSB might have just the right blend of 'smart' with 'rustic
crafty' g.....

So it all depends what you really want this building to be. Is it only a
humble shed... or a workshop... or a studio... or in your heart of
hearts, is it really your Winter Palace?

Made me laugh out loud !
Discounting the 4th possibility (reluctantly !) - I guess it falls
somewhere between workshop and studio. I'm selling my glass at a
couple of local markets, plus one-off fairs - so it'd be not all that
often that a customer would need to visit the studio. I see a 'clean
area' where finished items can be stored or even displayed - and a
'working area' where things are made. I guess if I go for OSB for
starters then a certain amount of 'tarting up' can always be done
later, if time / finances / need allows...

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:18:29 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Having looked at your web site, I think that you could position
yourself as having a workshop or having a studio.

It depends on what you see your market as being. Is this really a
hobby for the most part and you are mainly selling at small craft
fairs, or are you trying to make more of a business out of it?

If it's the former, then it doesn't really matter. If you would
like to move it onto more of a business footing (even if still small
scale), then I think several things:

- A studio, not a workshop.

- Web site taken from being in the first person (suggests small time
hobby) to third person and collective (i.e. "we" referring to the
business) and if you are mentioned, done in the third person (i.e.
Adrian learned about stained glass at... )

- Worth looking at what others like potteries do. There seem to be a
myriad of them in Kinsale for example

- Have you thought about teaching how to do stained glass stuff? That
plus some local accommodation close by could add up to a nice
holiday...

Difficult balance.
Painted OSB might have just the right blend of 'smart' with 'rustic
crafty' g.....

Trouble is, that it isn't. It looks industrial/building site/boarded
up shop front.

So it all depends what you really want this building to be. Is it only a
humble shed... or a workshop... or a studio... or in your heart of
hearts, is it really your Winter Palace?

Made me laugh out loud !
Discounting the 4th possibility (reluctantly !) - I guess it falls
somewhere between workshop and studio. I'm selling my glass at a
couple of local markets, plus one-off fairs - so it'd be not all that
often that a customer would need to visit the studio.

They could, if you wanted it that way and marketed appropriately.

I see a 'clean
area' where finished items can be stored or even displayed - and a
'working area' where things are made. I guess if I go for OSB for
starters then a certain amount of 'tarting up' can always be done
later, if time / finances / need allows...

Perhaps John Rumm's idea of plasterboard over OSB would be a way to do
this.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Interesting.
In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any
insulation......

Depends what you want to keep in there. Occasional condensation might be
acceptable if it's just a shed, but from what you are saying, this will
actually be a workshop... or even a studio.

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Facility?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Interesting.
In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any
insulation......

Depends what you want to keep in there. Occasional condensation might be
acceptable if it's just a shed, but from what you are saying, this will
actually be a workshop... or even a studio.

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Facility?

That's what 'Merkins call it. They call people 'resources' as well.

So going to work is 'meeting the resources at the facility'

I still prefer 'studio'

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Interesting.
In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any
insulation......

Depends what you want to keep in there. Occasional condensation might be
acceptable if it's just a shed, but from what you are saying, this will
actually be a workshop... or even a studio.

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Facility?

That's what 'Merkins call it. They call people 'resources' as well.

So going to work is 'meeting the resources at the facility'

I still prefer 'studio'

I quite agree. If it's true artistic work, 'studio' is entirely
appropriate.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

wrote:

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Having looked at your web site, I think that you could position
yourself as having a workshop or having a studio.

It depends on what you see your market as being. Is this really a
hobby for the most part and you are mainly selling at small craft
fairs, or are you trying to make more of a business out of it?

I've got modest ambitions g -
certainly don't want another full-blown business at this moment...

If it's the former, then it doesn't really matter. If you would
like to move it onto more of a business footing (even if still small
scale), then I think several things:

- A studio, not a workshop.

Yes - agreed

- Web site taken from being in the first person (suggests small time
hobby) to third person and collective (i.e. "we" referring to the
business) and if you are mentioned, done in the third person (i.e.
Adrian learned about stained glass at... )

Not sure about that - though I do appreciate your 'angle'....
It's another 'balancing act' - don't want to appear to be what the
Americans call a 'basement bandit' (lovely phrase !) - but don't want
to get too 'corporate' either.

- Worth looking at what others like potteries do. There seem to be a
myriad of them in Kinsale for example

I'm sure there are g - Kinsale's where all the rich people from Cork
go to spend their money at the weekend..... or so I'm told...

- Have you thought about teaching how to do stained glass stuff? That
plus some local accommodation close by could add up to a nice
holiday...

Yes - there's a potter down in the village who also happens to run the
Youth Hostel - and has been running a fairly comprehensive marketing
push to get people to come & pot at his studios. Wouldn't want to make
anything large-scale out of it - but a few courses a year might be a
thought. It's only our first year over here - got quite a few demands
on our time in addition to glasswork....

Difficult balance.
Painted OSB might have just the right blend of 'smart' with 'rustic
crafty' g.....

Trouble is, that it isn't. It looks industrial/building site/boarded
up shop front.

You're probably right !

So it all depends what you really want this building to be. Is it only a
humble shed... or a workshop... or a studio... or in your heart of
hearts, is it really your Winter Palace?

Made me laugh out loud !
Discounting the 4th possibility (reluctantly !) - I guess it falls
somewhere between workshop and studio. I'm selling my glass at a
couple of local markets, plus one-off fairs - so it'd be not all that
often that a customer would need to visit the studio.

They could, if you wanted it that way and marketed appropriately.

Yes - the option is there.....

I see a 'clean
area' where finished items can be stored or even displayed - and a
'working area' where things are made. I guess if I go for OSB for
starters then a certain amount of 'tarting up' can always be done
later, if time / finances / need allows...

Perhaps John Rumm's idea of plasterboard over OSB would be a way to do
this.

Yes - it's a distinct possibility......

Thanks for your thoughts

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Frank / Andy

wrote:

Adrian wrote:
[...]

Yes - I must stop being so modest g

Certainly not 'facility' - yeuch !

When I worked for a branch of GEC, his Lorship (Arnie Weinstock) had a
habit of referring to employees of the corporation as 'costs walk in
on two feet' - what a great way of making your people feel loved....!

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:27:52 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

When I worked for a branch of GEC, his Lorship (Arnie Weinstock) had a
habit of referring to employees of the corporation as 'costs walk in
on two feet' - what a great way of making your people feel loved....!

Adrian

Didn't do him any good in the end, though, did it?

I can always remember, some years ago making a visit to GEC
Telecommunications at Coventry.

The address sounded impressive - New Century Park - until one
discovered that they were referring to the 20th century.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

wrote:

When I worked for a branch of GEC, his Lorship (Arnie Weinstock) had a
habit of referring to employees of the corporation as 'costs walk in
on two feet' - what a great way of making your people feel loved....!

Adrian

Didn't do him any good in the end, though, did it?

Possibly not in the end - but he didn't do too bad along the way g

I can always remember, some years ago making a visit to GEC
Telecommunications at Coventry.

The address sounded impressive - New Century Park - until one
discovered that they were referring to the 20th century.

I used to do some work with the people up there - they claimed that
it was actually the 19th Century that was being referenced....

There was another site I used to visit on an all-too-regular basis -
up in Nottingham. Great sprawling area, had little 'shops' everywhere
- each with their own specialism, like metal-plating, carpentry,
painting, engraving - there was even rumour that they used to blow
their own glass valves at one time.....

I suspect that was sold for housing eventually - great people in the
workforce - but utterly awful management, all the way up !

Eeeh - takes me back g

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I worked for a branch of GEC, his Lorship (Arnie Weinstock) had a
habit of referring to employees of the corporation as 'costs walk in
on two feet' - what a great way of making your people feel loved....!

Adrian

Didn't do him any good in the end, though, did it?

Possibly not in the end - but he didn't do too bad along the way g

I can always remember, some years ago making a visit to GEC
Telecommunications at Coventry.

The address sounded impressive - New Century Park - until one
discovered that they were referring to the 20th century.

I used to do some work with the people up there - they claimed that
it was actually the 19th Century that was being referenced....

Exactly. Depends which way you look. The buildings were certainly
mainly early c.20 at best.

There was another site I used to visit on an all-too-regular basis -
up in Nottingham. Great sprawling area, had little 'shops' everywhere
- each with their own specialism, like metal-plating, carpentry,
painting, engraving - there was even rumour that they used to blow
their own glass valves at one time.....

I suspect that was sold for housing eventually - great people in the
workforce - but utterly awful management, all the way up !

Eeeh - takes me back g

It seemed to be full of fiefdoms.

Then there were the acquired pieces of Plessey and the Edge Lane
empire. Politics were so great because the stakes were so small.

Where are they now?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

wrote:

When I worked for a branch of GEC, his Lorship (Arnie Weinstock) had a
habit of referring to employees of the corporation as 'costs walk in
on two feet' - what a great way of making your people feel loved....!

Adrian

Didn't do him any good in the end, though, did it?

Possibly not in the end - but he didn't do too bad along the way g

I can always remember, some years ago making a visit to GEC
Telecommunications at Coventry.

The address sounded impressive - New Century Park - until one
discovered that they were referring to the 20th century.

I used to do some work with the people up there - they claimed that
it was actually the 19th Century that was being referenced....

Exactly. Depends which way you look. The buildings were certainly
mainly early c.20 at best.

Yes - shame that they'd settled on such a grandiose title when there
was so little there to praise ....

There was another site I used to visit on an all-too-regular basis -
up in Nottingham. Great sprawling area, had little 'shops' everywhere
- each with their own specialism, like metal-plating, carpentry,
painting, engraving - there was even rumour that they used to blow
their own glass valves at one time.....

I suspect that was sold for housing eventually - great people in the
workforce - but utterly awful management, all the way up !

Eeeh - takes me back g

It seemed to be full of fiefdoms.

Ah - you were there....
Arnie decreed that Beeston would be our major source for manufacturing
- 'to keep the money inside the business'

This meant that they had to switch from TXE4-technology to
Surface-mount FPGAs in a very short space of time -
it wasn't the easiest of transitions.......

The stories I could tell......

Then there were the acquired pieces of Plessey and the Edge Lane
empire. Politics were so great because the stakes were so small.

That's true - never thought of it like that

Where are they now?

Another good question - the engineers must be out there somewhere.....
I was involved with a spin-off from one of the Thames-valley-based
companies - they experienced meteoric growth and profitability for
about 4 years then got bought out by venture capitalists, who killed
the business and made a fortune from selling off the premises !

....... nice !

Ah well - all water under the bridge now......

Looks like OSB is the way to go - 11mm OSB 8x4's at 12 euro plus
vat....

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I then used 50mm Celotex between the studs making sure of a 25mm gap
behind for ventilation. This has a vapour barrier both sides. In
order to allow ventilation for the gap, I fitted small round
ventilators into soffits and near the bottoms of the walls. If there
were no membrane immediately behind the outer wood, it wouldn't be
necessary since the gaps in the timber would provide enough
ventilation.

Is the external vapour barrier directly behing the external cladding, or
does there need to be an air gap?. If what space would be required?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:29:38 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

Looks like OSB is the way to go - 11mm OSB 8x4's at 12 euro plus
vat....

That's not bad. You can easily augment it later if you want to do
so.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:35:27 +0000 (UTC), "Lawrence Zarb"
wrote:

I then used 50mm Celotex between the studs making sure of a 25mm gap
behind for ventilation. This has a vapour barrier both sides. In
order to allow ventilation for the gap, I fitted small round
ventilators into soffits and near the bottoms of the walls. If there
were no membrane immediately behind the outer wood, it wouldn't be
necessary since the gaps in the timber would provide enough
ventilation.

Is the external vapour barrier directly behing the external cladding, or
does there need to be an air gap?. If what space would be required?

It's on the back face of the Celotex, then there's a gap, then the
cladding. The important thing is ventilation of the cold side.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Andy

wrote:

Looks like OSB is the way to go - 11mm OSB 8x4's at 12 euro plus
vat....

That's not bad. You can easily augment it later if you want to do
so.

Yes - that's what I thought....

Now if it would just stop raining & blowing a gale....
....then Shedman could come back and fix the proper,
torched-on roofing felt, and fit the door and windows....

.....which would mean that I could finish fitting the floor and then
sort out the interior wall cladding.....

....and we could shift all the 'stuff' that should be in the Studio
out of the 'Sunroom'.......

Isn't life complicated ??

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Owain

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:37:18 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Facility?

Maison, as in "Verre Maison Adrian"?

Pretentious --- moi ?? g

Bothy?

Bit too 'peat fires & hand-knitted sheep'

But'n'ben?

Lost me on that one.... sorry !

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:06:43 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

....which would mean that I could finish fitting the floor and then
sort out the interior wall cladding.....

Both Spain and Ireland are in receipt of EU money for various projects
especially in relation to transport.

To this end, the ministers of transport make visits to each other's
country to see how this works out in practice.

Both are bemoaing how long it takes to get things done.

The Spanish minister of transport is fairly relaxes about all of this
and explains that they have the perfect word to describe the
situation.

Manana.

The Irish minister thinks for a moment and replies:

" Sure we don't have a word that means anything as urgent as that"

...and we could shift all the 'stuff' that should be in the Studio
out of the 'Sunroom'.......

Isn't life complicated ??

Be honest.

You're sold on the idea of a studio, aren't you.

TBH, I think you can if you want to,

How far away is Kinsale?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Facility?

Depending on the geography you could call it the *...* wing:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Looks like OSB is the way to go - 11mm OSB 8x4's at 12 euro plus
vat....

That's not bad. You can easily augment it later if you want to do
so.

I think when I did my shed I was able to get interior CDX ply for about
£7/sheet...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Andy

wrote:

....which would mean that I could finish fitting the floor and then
sort out the interior wall cladding.....

Both Spain and Ireland are in receipt of EU money for various projects
especially in relation to transport.

To this end, the ministers of transport make visits to each other's
country to see how this works out in practice.

Both are bemoaing how long it takes to get things done.

The Spanish minister of transport is fairly relaxes about all of this
and explains that they have the perfect word to describe the
situation.

Manana.

The Irish minister thinks for a moment and replies:

" Sure we don't have a word that means anything as urgent as that"

Heard it before - but it's 100% accurate.
When we first moved here I made the mistake of saying '...but there's
no rush' to a tradesman...

After about 2 months, phoned him to enquire about progress -
"Ah - but you said there was no rush......"

Not the right thing to say - as the normal pace of life out here is
somewhat slower than the UK - so 'no rush' approximates to 'sometime
before I get really old and lose all of my hair'

...and we could shift all the 'stuff' that should be in the Studio
out of the 'Sunroom'.......

Isn't life complicated ??

Be honest.

You're sold on the idea of a studio, aren't you.

I think it's got the right 'ring' to it....
have to go round and 'up' all the prices though -
got to be consistent with the right image g

TBH, I think you can if you want to,

How far away is Kinsale?

Over towards Cork - we're waay west of there...
According to the RAC, Kinsale's only 50 miles away - (we're near
Ballydehob) but it takes about 1 hour 20 from here - the Irish roads
aren't exactly the fastest in the world, but it does wonders for your
fuel economy. Was averaging 25mpg in the UK - now av = 35mph....

All very relaxing g

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi JOhn

wrote:

Looks like OSB is the way to go - 11mm OSB 8x4's at 12 euro plus
vat....

That's not bad. You can easily augment it later if you want to do
so.

I think when I did my shed I was able to get interior CDX ply for about
£7/sheet...

Ah - didn't think to ask about ply prices - will have to
phone them again tomorrow......

Mind - the way the weather's looking this week, it'll be some time
beofor they get the roof finished, and I don't really want to be
playing interior cladding until that's completely finished.....

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Tim

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:26:38 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

Can't decide what to call it....
If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them
what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if
not actually creepy !).
Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on
ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ?? g

Facility?

Depending on the geography you could call it the *...* wing:-)

That's a thought.... g

There was a studio I found somewhere in the States -
rejoiced in the name of 'Kiss my glass'......

You have to admire the sheer cheek of it g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:54:19 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

Heard it before - but it's 100% accurate.
When we first moved here I made the mistake of saying '...but there's
no rush' to a tradesman...

After about 2 months, phoned him to enquire about progress -
"Ah - but you said there was no rush......"

Not the right thing to say - as the normal pace of life out here is
somewhat slower than the UK - so 'no rush' approximates to 'sometime
before I get really old and lose all of my hair'

In connection with the eclipse, I guess you know the one about the
moon mission.

...and we could shift all the 'stuff' that should be in the Studio
out of the 'Sunroom'.......

Isn't life complicated ??

Be honest.

You're sold on the idea of a studio, aren't you.

I think it's got the right 'ring' to it....
have to go round and 'up' all the prices though -
got to be consistent with the right image g

Have a look at a few web sites of small operations in the area. In
reality they are not bigger than you.

Point is that you can position yourself to more of an art profile
without significant cost.

Actually you could do both this and a craft/workshop positioning with
different products and see what works.

TBH, I think you can if you want to,

How far away is Kinsale?

Over towards Cork - we're waay west of there...
According to the RAC, Kinsale's only 50 miles away - (we're near
Ballydehob) but it takes about 1 hour 20 from here - the Irish roads
aren't exactly the fastest in the world, but it does wonders for your
fuel economy. Was averaging 25mpg in the UK - now av = 35mph....

All very relaxing g

Neighbours. For someone on a holiday that's not unreasonable. Ply
them with stories about the Reeks

Regards
Adrian

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

wrote:

Heard it before - but it's 100% accurate.
When we first moved here I made the mistake of saying '...but there's
no rush' to a tradesman...

After about 2 months, phoned him to enquire about progress -
"Ah - but you said there was no rush......"

Not the right thing to say - as the normal pace of life out here is
somewhat slower than the UK - so 'no rush' approximates to 'sometime
before I get really old and lose all of my hair'

In connection with the eclipse, I guess you know the one about the
moon mission.

No - go on then....

...and we could shift all the 'stuff' that should be in the Studio
out of the 'Sunroom'.......

Isn't life complicated ??

Be honest.

You're sold on the idea of a studio, aren't you.

I think it's got the right 'ring' to it....
have to go round and 'up' all the prices though -
got to be consistent with the right image g

Have a look at a few web sites of small operations in the area. In
reality they are not bigger than you.

Point is that you can position yourself to more of an art profile
without significant cost.

Actually you could do both this and a craft/workshop positioning with
different products and see what works.

Yes - we'll have to see what works..

TBH, I think you can if you want to,

How far away is Kinsale?

Over towards Cork - we're waay west of there...
According to the RAC, Kinsale's only 50 miles away - (we're near
Ballydehob) but it takes about 1 hour 20 from here - the Irish roads
aren't exactly the fastest in the world, but it does wonders for your
fuel economy. Was averaging 25mpg in the UK - now av = 35mph....

All very relaxing g

Neighbours.

We are ??

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Mind - the way the weather's looking this week, it'll be some time
beofor they get the roof finished, and I don't really want to be
playing interior cladding until that's completely finished.....

Indeed, CDX would probably delaminate if you got it wet!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes

There was a studio I found somewhere in the States -
rejoiced in the name of 'Kiss my glass'......

You have to admire the sheer cheek of it g

Crystal Palace?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Tim

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 08:25:00 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes

There was a studio I found somewhere in the States -
rejoiced in the name of 'Kiss my glass'......

You have to admire the sheer cheek of it g

Crystal Palace?

Didn't that burn down ?? g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:34:20 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

HI Andy

In connection with the eclipse, I guess you know the one about the
moon mission.

No - go on then....

The Irish Space Agency called a press conference to announce its first
mission.

Members of the press were keen for details and began asking
questions..

"Where are you going"

(impressively) "We're going to the sun!"

"But you'll burn up!!! "

(more impressively) "Ah but we're going to go at night!! "

TBH, I think you can if you want to,

How far away is Kinsale?

Over towards Cork - we're waay west of there...
According to the RAC, Kinsale's only 50 miles away - (we're near
Ballydehob) but it takes about 1 hour 20 from here - the Irish roads
aren't exactly the fastest in the world, but it does wonders for your
fuel economy. Was averaging 25mpg in the UK - now av = 35mph....

All very relaxing g

Neighbours.

We are ??

To be sure....

--

..andy

planning for my new shed, foundation suggestions Tater Home Repair 17 December 31st 06 01:33 PM
thermal lining a wall of a wooden shed flumaxed UK diy 3 April 15th 06 05:10 PM
Chimney Lining... Gordon Henderson UK diy 22 December 17th 05 12:23 PM
Lining paper...... mo UK diy 4 July 4th 04 12:53 PM
Shed conversion - dry lining and ceiling Stephen Gilkes UK diy 1 February 23rd 04 04:52 PM