Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pull-out larder frames?

I want to fit a centre-mounted pull-out larder frame into an existing
cupboard that's only 495 deep, but the frames I can find on the web all
need 500 or 505 depth. Can anyone suggest supplier's for the
centre-mounted type?
Alternatively, any suggestions on how to make one and where to get the
runners from?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
I want to fit a centre-mounted pull-out larder frame into an existing
cupboard that's only 495 deep, but the frames I can find on the web all
need 500 or 505 depth. Can anyone suggest supplier's for the
centre-mounted type?
Alternatively, any suggestions on how to make one and where to get the
runners from?

Dave

Ah, I forgot to look at Screwfix! I really wanted 400 wide but their's
are 300 or 600; are they any good?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 16:32:34 +0000, NoSpam
wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
I want to fit a centre-mounted pull-out larder frame into an existing
cupboard that's only 495 deep, but the frames I can find on the web all
need 500 or 505 depth. Can anyone suggest supplier's for the
centre-mounted type?
Alternatively, any suggestions on how to make one and where to get the
runners from?

Dave

Ah, I forgot to look at Screwfix! I really wanted 400 wide but their's
are 300 or 600; are they any good?

Dave

The only thing is that you will end up wasting a lot of space....

Have a look also at Haefele, Woodfit and Isaac Lord

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
I want to fit a centre-mounted pull-out larder frame into an existing
cupboard that's only 495 deep, but the frames I can find on the web all
need 500 or 505 depth. Can anyone suggest supplier's for the
centre-mounted type?
Alternatively, any suggestions on how to make one and where to get the
runners from?

Dave

Ah, I forgot to look at Screwfix! I really wanted 400 wide but their's
are 300 or 600; are they any good?

Dave

The only thing is that you will end up wasting a lot of space....

Have a look also at Haefele, Woodfit and Isaac Lord

Thanks for the pointers; it looks like Isaac Lord have what I need.
Why do you make the comment about space? The idea was to make things
easier to find (compared to deep shelves) by having a large number of
baskets. I must admit the thought of having to slide-out the entire
larder contents every time seems a bit silly (and it looks like it'll be
quite expensive to buy the frame and baskets) but what's the
alternative? Two half-height frames will be difficult because of
supporting the upper one.
Wire drawers - but there's the pain of having to make/fit all the
runners (once I've found a supplier of suitable wire or plastic drawers).
Any other ideas (apart from loads of deep shelves)?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
[...]

I do think that these pull out frames are a good idea - I have
several.

The point about space was that if you are going to use them then you
want to try to find something that is as close to the size of the
cupboard as possible because using the remaining space is difficult to
impossible - I was relating this to the Screwfix 300mm unit in a 400mm
cupboard.

If you are going to use Isaac Lord, give them a call and ask about
their loyalty card. Worth 10-15% discount. If you can go there,
prices are negotiable....

Dave

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
.... snipped
I do think that these pull out frames are a good idea - I have
several.

I'm thinking of one that's 1900 tall with about 10 shelves/baskets; do
they run sufficiently freely for this to be viable? - it'll be a
significant weight.

The point about space was that if you are going to use them then you
want to try to find something that is as close to the size of the
cupboard as possible because using the remaining space is difficult to
impossible - I was relating this to the Screwfix 300mm unit in a 400mm
cupboard.

This will be going into an 800 wide built-in cupboard with double doors
and a 700 wide doorway, the idea is to leave the front of the frame open
and to have fixed shelves up one side of the cupboard. So the actual
width isn't too important.

If you are going to use Isaac Lord, give them a call and ask about
their loyalty card. Worth 10-15% discount. If you can go there,
prices are negotiable...

Very interesting. High Wycombe isn't too far away but far enough to be a
special trip - I'll give them a call.

Thanks, Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:17:59 +0000, NoSpam
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
... snipped
I do think that these pull out frames are a good idea - I have
several.

I'm thinking of one that's 1900 tall with about 10 shelves/baskets; do
they run sufficiently freely for this to be viable? - it'll be a
significant weight.

If you had a substantial enough one, yes.

However, this height and fully loaded with heavy stuff may be a
challenge.

Probably if you mix the load and put heavy stuff at the bottom it
would be OK.

If you load it top to bottom with cans of food, that would be
optimistic.

The point about space was that if you are going to use them then you
want to try to find something that is as close to the size of the
cupboard as possible because using the remaining space is difficult to
impossible - I was relating this to the Screwfix 300mm unit in a 400mm
cupboard.

This will be going into an 800 wide built-in cupboard with double doors
and a 700 wide doorway, the idea is to leave the front of the frame open
and to have fixed shelves up one side of the cupboard. So the actual
width isn't too important.

Ah, OK. Rather different.

I would try to identify a frame with high load capability. These
will be more substantial and will slide more easily under load.

If you are going to use Isaac Lord, give them a call and ask about
their loyalty card. Worth 10-15% discount. If you can go there,
prices are negotiable...

Very interesting. High Wycombe isn't too far away but far enough to be a
special trip - I'll give them a call.

Worth it but definitely call first.

The trade counter is generally populated by knowledgable old buggers
who know their stuff quite well from supplying to the furniture
industry. It would be worth describing your application, the
weights and the sizes and see what they say. It's likely that they
can source what you need even if it's not a stock item.

Thanks, Dave

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:17:59 +0000, NoSpam
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
... snipped
[...]

Thanks again Andy but SWMBO is now favouring :-( a large number of
chrome wire baskets on slides that we saw last night in Homebase; they
called them vegetable baskets. Their price is £75 for 2 so I need to
find somewhere with more sensible prices - preferably a mix of wire
baskets, trays, or drawers.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:00:31 +0000, NoSpam
wrote:

Thanks again Andy but SWMBO is now favouring :-( a large number of
chrome wire baskets on slides that we saw last night in Homebase; they
called them vegetable baskets. Their price is £75 for 2 so I need to
find somewhere with more sensible prices - preferably a mix of wire
baskets, trays, or drawers.

Dave

OK. Yes HB are very expensive for this kind of thing especially.

Smaller things probably would be more practical in terms of weight to
pull out.

The suppliers already mentioned should have this type of thing as
well.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote

Thanks again Andy but SWMBO is now favouring :-( a large number of
chrome wire baskets on slides that we saw last night in Homebase; they
called them vegetable baskets.

The advantage that 1 larder unit has over 5 drawer/baskets is that to
find something, you open just the one thing. Unless, of course, these
Homebase baskets are open at the front? In which case, everything will
get dusty.

Plus, when you're putting stuff away (shopping etc) into drawers, you'll
be forever opening and closing them. With a larder unit, you can put it
all away at once and shuffle things between shelves as required.

Don't get me wrong: drawers have their place. We have 2 sets of (closed-
fronted, flat-bottomed) drawer units -- a 3-drawer 600 one by the stove
for
(1) cooking utensils
(2) pans
(3) big pans & pots

and, across the other side of the kitchen, a 400 one under the bread
board area for
(1) cutlery
(2) jams, spreads
(3) bread and cakes.

Our larder unit is a 6 year-old not-very-expensive one from Ikea. It's
400 wide with 6 baskets and gets loaded up with (from the top)
(1) crisps, pasta, sauces
(2) 'wet' cooking ingredients (raisins, syrup etc)
(3) 'dry' cooking ingredients (flour, sugar, etc)
(4) tins
(5) more tins, glass jars & cereal bars
(6) biscuits, crackers, etc.

At Christmas, the unit is loaded to the gunwales and must weigh a ton:
nonetheless, it stills rolls in and out without protesting.

The only disadvantage I can see to larder units is when, on the top
shelf, a packet of dried spaghetti splits and distributes itself amongst
all the other shelves!

--
-blj-

Ventilating a larder Broadback UK diy 3 January 29th 07 06:29 PM
Onyx Larder Fridge Peter Andrews UK diy 3 November 16th 06 11:25 PM
Ikea pull out larder in 37 cm deep cabinet Nick UK diy 1 June 30th 06 02:42 PM
Some frames shout, pull, and recommend. Others crudely grasp. Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 0 May 15th 06 08:43 PM