Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

Default Information required please

Building will start in two weeks on an extension to my house. All the
planning and building regs., have been done. I have found a builder and
signed a contract, i.e. staged payments etc. What should I look out for as
the build starts and continues. How will I know if the job is being done
correctly. I have to inform the local council at various stages of the
build. Will they inspect and check the job is being done to correct
standards. Being an ex-shipwright I have problems when I watch other trades
doing their stuff. I am now to old to DIY so I just watch. Any feedback
will be helpful
Joe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Joe" wrote in message
Building will start in two weeks on an extension to my house. All the
planning and building regs., have been done. I have found a builder and
signed a contract, i.e. staged payments etc. What should I look out for
as the build starts and continues. How will I know if the job is being
done correctly. I have to inform the local council at various stages of
the build. Will they inspect and check the job is being done to correct
standards. Being an ex-shipwright I have problems when I watch other
trades doing their stuff. I am now to old to DIY so I just watch. Any
feedback will be helpful
Joe

The _contract_ should place an obligation on the contractor/builder to
notify the BCO at the required stages and not to proceed without the BCO
approval.
{There's little yellow card issued by the Building Regulations Dept of the
council for this purpose and 'my' council ,at least,, permits email
notification]
Unless you're the 'Project Manager' , with responsibility for the
notification/approval stages, it _should_ be the contractors responsibility.
Check you're contract for details and make certain who has this
responsibility.

And; yes, the BCO should check that the job is 'being done' to the standards
_shown_ on the approved drawings. {The approved drawings should be compliant
with the 'correct standards'.
- this is a bit of a moving target as your approved drawings will have a
three year 'window' to be transformed into a building and 'correct
standards' may change within the three years. But the BCO will certify that
the works comply with the drawings.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would advise not to watch or you will just aggravate your builders,nothing
****es them of more than having someone watching them all the time,by all
means inspect the work and discuss any problems you have with quality.

These concerns would have been better aired with the builder before
contracts where signed,|I would recommend that you discuss with the builder
before work starts.