Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flaky ceiling

Hi,

A few years ago I stripped the ceiling in my kitchen back to the
plaster (it was flaky) and painted it again, with ceiling paint
(homebase's own, IIRC). Within 3 months it had started to flake again.
I guess it is something to do with condensation, but basically, the
paint isn't gripping the plaster of the ceiling at all. (I have since
installed central heating which helps a lot with the condensation
problem.)

Now I'm trying to do something about it, and am in the process of
stripping the flaky paint. The question is, what next?
My options seem to be:

1. Skim the ceiling then paint again

2. Paper the ceiling then paint again

3. Apply some sort of sealant/undercoat then paint again

4. Paint again

(1 and 2 would involve paying someone else to do part of the job).

Any ceiling painting advice gratefully received,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:52:07 +0000 (UTC), "hannah d."
wrote:

[...]

When I had a plasterer look at a crappy artexed ceiling last year he
said it would be cheaper, quicker and easier to board over it and skim
it, and give a much better and longer lasting finish. That and
skimming the walls (15ft x 12ft ish) cost me £450.

Mike E
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 11:52, "hannah d." wrote:
[...]

seal the ceiling with polybond(pva adhesive) first then paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apply battens 50mm x 25mm at 450 centres and overboard with plasterboard
use 1800mm x 900mm for ease of use, screws rather than nails and finish with
plaster skim or artex,when painting the new plaster make sure you size the
plaster first,end of flaky ceiling.

Fixing flaky buttons Hamad bin Turki al Salami Electronics Repair 20 January 27th 07 02:05 AM
Flaky secuurity PIR light - replaced - still flaky Clive UK diy 1 May 29th 06 12:07 PM
DMM acting flaky ed Electronics Repair 3 February 15th 06 05:49 PM
Fixing flaky paint [email protected] UK diy 0 October 31st 05 03:15 PM
Prime Flaky Paint ? Neil Home Repair 3 August 17th 04 07:22 PM