Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a letter box

A letter box was fitted for me - but it's loose (it rattles in the
door - the bolts can't be tightened sufficiently). I think it should
have some kind of spring loaded screw to hold it close to the door.
Does anyone know what this kind of fitting is called/where to get one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spencer wrote:
A letter box was fitted for me - but it's loose (it rattles in the
door - the bolts can't be tightened sufficiently). I think it should
have some kind of spring loaded screw to hold it close to the door.
Does anyone know what this kind of fitting is called/where to get one?

If the whole thing rattles i.e. not just the flap, sounds like the bolts
are too long. You could maybe use washers if the gap isn't too big
Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"spencer" wrote in message
ups.com...
A letter box was fitted for me

By whom. If you paid a company to fit it get them back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spencer wrote:

A letter box was fitted for me - but it's loose (it rattles in the
door - the bolts can't be tightened sufficiently). I think it should
have some kind of spring loaded screw to hold it close to the door.
Does anyone know what this kind of fitting is called/where to get one?

The bolts are obviously too long for the thickness of the door, and need
either shortening (preferred option) or packing with washers (bodge).
Unless, of course, they won't tighten because they've been cross-threaded -
in which case the threads in the letterbox itself have probably been wrecked
and the whole thing will need replacing.

Did you *pay* someone to fit it? If so, get them back to sort it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spencer wrote:
A letter box was fitted for me - but it's loose (it rattles in the
door - the bolts can't be tightened sufficiently). I think it should
have some kind of spring loaded screw to hold it close to the door.
Does anyone know what this kind of fitting is called/where to get one?

You mean a letter plate I expect, with two bolts through the door? If
so, if you take it off, the bolts should unscrew easily from the plate,
whereupon they can be shortened as required.

Hang on, assuming you paid for someone to do this - get them back to
sort it out!

David