Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reversed thermostat?

June has got herself a shiny new 6 ring two oven cooker, with a 5kw Wok
burner, with hood and external ventilation kit. When she is using it the
kitchen gets very hot.

Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust fan
when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but they must
exist.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
June has got herself a shiny new 6 ring two oven cooker, with a 5kw Wok
burner, with hood and external ventilation kit. When she is using it the
kitchen gets very hot.

Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust fan
when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but they must
exist.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
European Convention on Human Rights http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html
Then sign this petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Ban-Sharia

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SATLX2356.html has changeover contact
rated at 2A

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
June has got herself a shiny new 6 ring two oven cooker, with a 5kw Wok
burner, with hood and external ventilation kit. When she is using it the
kitchen gets very hot.

Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust fan
when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but they must
exist.

Most 230v central heating room stats have a call and satisifed (for heat)
connection. You use the satisfied connection for this.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
June has got herself a shiny new 6 ring two oven cooker, with a 5kw Wok
burner, with hood and external ventilation kit. When she is using it
the kitchen gets very hot.

Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust fan
when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but they must
exist.

Pretty well any 'old fashioned' electro mechanical central heating room
thermostat.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
June has got herself a shiny new 6 ring two oven cooker, with a 5kw
Wok burner, with hood and external ventilation kit. When she is
using it the kitchen gets very hot.

Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust
fan when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but
they must exist.

Pretty well any 'old fashioned' electro mechanical central heating
room thermostat.

Doesn't need to be old fashioned - or mechanical! My Honeywell CM67
programmable stat has change-over contacts and can be used for cooling
rather than heating if desired.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust
fan when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but
they must exist.

Pretty well any 'old fashioned' electro mechanical central heating
room thermostat.

Doesn't need to be old fashioned - or mechanical! My Honeywell CM67
programmable stat has change-over contacts and can be used for cooling
rather than heating if desired.

Yes - but rather OTT cost wise for this application?

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the
exhaust fan when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen
one but they must exist.

Pretty well any 'old fashioned' electro mechanical central heating
room thermostat.

Doesn't need to be old fashioned - or mechanical! My Honeywell CM67
programmable stat has change-over contacts and can be used for
cooling rather than heating if desired.

Yes - but rather OTT cost wise for this application?

Agreed, but I was just pointing out that you could simply have said "pretty
well any central heating room thermostat". Whereas an old fashioned
mechanical stat is adequate, it isn't the *only* type which will do the job.

It's certainly the most cost effective, though! When I fitted the RM67 to my
CH, I re-deployed the old mechanical stat inside my computer case to switch
on a mains-powered fan when it gets too hot - precisely the sort of thing
which the OP wants to do.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:53:31 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
mused:

June has got herself a shiny new 6 ring two oven cooker, with a 5kw Wok
burner, with hood and external ventilation kit. When she is using it the
kitchen gets very hot.

Can anyone recommend a reverse thermostat to switch *on* the exhaust fan
when the kitchen gets *too* hot. I have never seen one but they must
exist.

I'd look at a hunmidistat aswell if it's as bad as it sounds in there.
Any normal stat and 8 pin octal relay with base would do, but as
others say, they're not as uncommon as you think. Bear in mind though
that the older style mechanical stats are slower and slightly less
accurate so might not actually be a great deal of use. If it were me
I'd use a decent humidistat and thermostsat and if they don't have the
required outputs then use a relay.
--
Regards,
Stuart.