Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Gas supply disconnected due to debt by previous owner

I purchase a house about a month ago.

Info from seller was that electric was NPower (prepayment), and Gas on a
standard meter from British Gas.

Sent British Gas a letter when moving in, notifying them of details and
meter reading. Not heard from them or received bill.

Received no letters to me or occupier, or anything which isnt junk mail.

I am not living at the property at the moment, whilst I renovate, and turn
up tonight to find the central heating not working.

I then find a letter in the back room, stating that "officers of Powergen
called and were unable to obtain payment and have therefore disconnected the
gas under section 2B of the Gas Act"

They are now claiming warrant costs of £230, plus the balance, plus the cost
of a corgi engineer to make safe the supply before reconnection.

They appear to have gained entry through the back door, as one of the bolts
in the multilock mechanism (upvc) is broken. The lock in this door has not
yet been changed (but the gate to the rear of the house is), but where would
they have obtained the key? and should they have not notified me, before
gaining access? if this is the case?

I cant talk to anyone as it is late, but when I start calling in the morning
what action should I take?

I assume I can get the gas reconnected as the debt is not mine? Can I then
claim the costs (i.e corgi engineer, time off work for reconnection, damage
to door) from the Seller?

Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Sent British Gas a letter when moving in, notifying them of details and
meter reading. Not heard from them or received bill.
Received no letters to me or occupier, or anything which isnt junk mail.

IANAL but work in the electric industry (not in a debt dept.)

Contact Energywatch in the first instance http://www.energywatch.org.uk
and lodge a formal and "very unhappy customer" complaint. Energywatch
complaints are normally dealt with very switfly (at least _ours_ are)

They would normally need a warrant afaik to enforce access rights, and
if you've already informed them of the change of tenancy they should not
have taken any action to disconnect for non-payment.

If you do have to speak to BG, I think i'd have to insist on it being:

a) a supervisor you speak to (get their names, times of calls etc)
b) record the call (and let them know you're recording it)
c) ask them for a copy of all correspondence they will undoubtedly
allege to have sent - but they may wriggle and say they can't under the
terms of the data protection act once they realise they've disconnected
the wrong person
d) insist on a copy of the warrant - to be faxed immediately
e) ask them to agree to repair all damages to the property,
alternatively, who and where to serve a small claims action against them
for damage to property - and do it !

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

BG - dream on!

We can live in hope :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:09:31 GMT someone who may be "Clive"
wrote this:-

Sent British Gas a letter when moving in, notifying them of details and
meter reading. Not heard from them or received bill.

Do you have a copy of this letter?

Received no letters to me or occupier, or anything which isnt junk mail.

They will undoubtedly claim that they sent letters, ask them for
copies of them.

As well as what others have said here are some ideas:

1) ask the usual range of "consumer" television and radio programmes
if they are interested

2) contact the local CAB

3) they have presumably given misleading information to the kangeroo
court, or lied to them. Find out what information was given to the
court and then start challenging it. Try and make sure that the
Hutton who was involved is made aware of the results of their
actions, it may make them a little more questioning in the future.

4) take steps to repair the damage they will have done to your
credit rating

5) claim for all of this

Large faceless organisations hope that people will be too tired to
fight them. Don't be a victim.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Colin Wilson wrote:
Sent British Gas a letter when moving in, notifying them of details and
meter reading. Not heard from them or received bill.
Received no letters to me or occupier, or anything which isnt junk mail.

IANAL but work in the electric industry (not in a debt dept.)

Contact Energywatch in the first instance http://www.energywatch.org.uk
and lodge a formal and "very unhappy customer" complaint. Energywatch
complaints are normally dealt with very switfly (at least _ours_ are)

They would normally need a warrant afaik to enforce access rights, and
if you've already informed them of the change of tenancy they should not
have taken any action to disconnect for non-payment.

If you do have to speak to BG, I think i'd have to insist on it being:

a) a supervisor you speak to (get their names, times of calls etc)
b) record the call (and let them know you're recording it)

And make sure they put a note on their system regarding the nature of your
complaint.

c) ask them for a copy of all correspondence they will undoubtedly
allege to have sent - but they may wriggle and say they can't under the
terms of the data protection act once they realise they've disconnected
the wrong person
d) insist on a copy of the warrant - to be faxed immediately
e) ask them to agree to repair all damages to the property,
alternatively, who and where to serve a small claims action against them
for damage to property - and do it !

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

They will undoubtedly claim that they sent letters, ask them for
copies of them.

I have spoken to them this morning.

1) They claim that they have not received my letter advising them of the new
owners details and opening meter reading when I completed on the property.
2) They acknowledge that they have NOT sent ANY correspondance to the
property since a "site visit" in mid December where they noted that the
property was for sale.
3) The are aware of the date of completion (end Jan 07) and buyers details,
but say that they couldnt write to the property to advise the owner (i.e me)
that there is a problem due to "data protection".
4) They are therefore FULLY aware that a) The debt is attached to a previous
occupier and b) I CANNOT have any any prior notification of a problem or
intention to disconnect the supply. Consequently the first I know is a entry
to the property (apparantly by a reputable locksmith), but causing damage to
a bolt in a upvc door.

3) they have presumably given misleading information to the kangeroo
court, or lied to them. Find out what information was given to the
court and then start challenging it. Try and make sure that the
Hutton who was involved is made aware of the results of their
actions, it may make them a little more questioning in the future.

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message . ..
BG - dream on!

We can live in hope :-}

Naive hope - custom hostility training keeps the company mission pure...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message , Clive
writes
[...]

If this is true they are admitting to deliberately disconnecting someone
whom they knew was the new owner of a property with whom they had no
contact in advance. I can't see how they even got a warrant. It's
appalling.

Did they apologise and agree to re-connect at no cost to you? Have you
spoken with Energy watch yet?

--
Mike_B
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Clive wrote:
[...]

I imagine a quick call to NPower should resolve the situation. If the
previous owners didn't notify them (or you), how could they have known
the house had changed hands? A call to your solicitors (assuming the
conveyancing was fixed price!) might also be in order. IIRC the previous
owner would have signed something to say that all these odds and ends
were in order

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Mike_B wrote:
In message , Clive
writes
[...]

Other places to try.

Your insurance company.
Your MP
Ombudsman
A lawyer

I suspect a strongly worded letter by the latter claiming damage to
property and criminal actions could net you an apology and some cash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I imagine a quick call to NPower should resolve the situation.

No, NPower have nothing to do with the gas. The debt was (apparently) to
Powergen but the OP contacted British Gas. There are two seperate issues.
Shouldn't have happenned but not entirely surprising in the circumstances.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:22:39 GMT someone who may be "Clive"
wrote this:-

They will undoubtedly claim that they sent letters, ask them for
copies of them.

I have spoken to them this morning.

Get it in writing, before contacting them again as when they realise
the implications of their actions they will clam up. At the very
least make a detailed note about this conversation now.

1) They claim that they have not received my letter advising them of the new
owners details and opening meter reading when I completed on the property.

You are not responsible for the failure of the post office to carry
out the job you have paid them to do. Anyway, generally if a large
organisation claims they have not received a letter it means that
they have lost it.

2) They acknowledge that they have NOT sent ANY correspondance to the
property since a "site visit" in mid December where they noted that the
property was for sale.

Excellent.

3) The are aware of the date of completion (end Jan 07) and buyers details,
but say that they couldnt write to the property to advise the owner (i.e me)
that there is a problem due to "data protection".

Then they presumably didn't tell the kangaroo court this. That means
they have lied to the court, try and have them prosecuted.
Alternatively the Hutton ignored this fact, try and have them
disciplined/dismissed.

4) They are therefore FULLY aware that a) The debt is attached to a previous
occupier and b) I CANNOT have any any prior notification of a problem or
intention to disconnect the supply. Consequently the first I know is a entry
to the property (apparantly by a reputable locksmith), but causing damage to
a bolt in a upvc door.

Indeed. However, don't alert them to this just yet.

When are they going to put you back into the state you were in
before their actions? Ask that those responsible for their actions
are made to come, watch and apologise personally to you. The same if
anyone in the kangaroo court has done something wrong. It is called
restorative justice and is quite popular, though the arrogant people
in large organisations (including the kangaroo courts) are only keen
on it when they are not held to account this way themselves.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message
news

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I imagine a quick call to NPower should resolve the situation.

No, NPower have nothing to do with the gas. The debt was (apparently) to
Powergen but the OP contacted British Gas. There are two seperate
issues. Shouldn't have happenned but not entirely surprising in the
circumstances.

The information from the seller (in the utilities questionnaire) was that
supply was by British Gas. Hence a reliance on the information provided by
the seller, to my solicitor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Jim Alexander wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I imagine a quick call to NPower should resolve the situation.

No, NPower have nothing to do with the gas.

I do get the 2 confused :-)

The debt was (apparently) to
Powergen but the OP contacted British Gas. There are two seperate issues.
Shouldn't have happenned but not entirely surprising in the circumstances.

I guess he contacted BG based on info from the previous owner. It's a
muddle, but a straightforward one to sort out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

If this is true they are admitting to deliberately disconnecting someone
whom they knew was the new owner of a property with whom they had no
contact in advance. I can't see how they even got a warrant. It's
appalling.

Did they apologise and agree to re-connect at no cost to you? Have you
spoken with Energy watch yet?

Quite.

Yes they have agreed to reconnect at no cost (but not until Friday). When
pushed for an earlier appointment, was told no, either accept Friday, or
call back when you want to rearrange reconnection.

No apology, then have said that it is "my fault that I did not sent them
confirmation of the sale from my solicitor" - even though they have made NO
ATTEMPT to contact me or ask for this information. A simple letter address
to the property, would have established that the supply was from Powergen,
and that there was a problem which was easy to resolve.

The are fully aware that the property was sold from speaking to the agent
(prior to disconnection, and even had my name on file), and was therefore
FULLY AWARE that the debt was attached to a previous owner, and yet still
acted in using a warrant to enter a property.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:37:33 GMT someone who may be "Clive"
wrote this:-

Yes they have agreed to reconnect at no cost (but not until Friday). When
pushed for an earlier appointment, was told no, either accept Friday, or
call back when you want to rearrange reconnection.

Pursue them for the inconvenience of this, as well as the damage to
your reputation.

No apology, then have said that it is "my fault that I did not sent them
confirmation of the sale from my solicitor" - even though they have made NO
ATTEMPT to contact me or ask for this information.

Make sure all this goes to Energywatch and your MP.

The are fully aware that the property was sold from speaking to the agent
(prior to disconnection, and even had my name on file), and was therefore
FULLY AWARE that the debt was attached to a previous owner, and yet still
acted in using a warrant to enter a property.

If the kangeroo courts didn't contact you before acting you might
like to ask them and your MP how this complies with Article 6 of the
European Convention on Human Rights. "1 In the determination of his
civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge against him,
everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a
reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal established
by law." What is fair about something where you were unable to give
your side? http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Clive wrote:
I have spoken to them this morning. 4) They are therefore FULLY
aware that a) The debt is attached to a previous occupier and
b) I CANNOT have any any prior notification of a problem or
intention to disconnect the supply. Consequently the first I
know is a entry to the property (apparantly by a reputable
locksmith), but causing damage to a bolt in a upvc door.

Have you logged a crime report with your local police for
breaking and entering?

That what I wondered.......

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Feb, 12:38, Owain wrote:
Clive wrote:
I have spoken to them this morning.
4) They are therefore FULLY aware that a) The debt is attached to a previous
occupier and b) I CANNOT have any any prior notification of a problem or
intention to disconnect the supply. Consequently the first I know is a entry
to the property (apparantly by a reputable locksmith), but causing damage to
a bolt in a upvc door.

Have you logged a crime report with your local police for breaking and
entering?

Owain

BG being part of Centrica soon to be consumed by Gazprom is a private
company. How would you feel about Sainsburys breaking into your home
because they believed the previous owner shoplifted items?

Report to cops and insist on an incident number, cops will be less
than interested but it is by any measure breaking and entering, see
how you got on if you levered your way into someones home on flimsy
pretext, just because BG is a company and you an individual the law
does not change, escalate if necessary.

They have been very very naughty and its time to slap them very very
very hard.

Remember to pull your credit record and see if theyv`e left any black
marks, to do so would be an offence against Section 13 of the Data
Protection act and they would be liable to punitive damages on that
count alone.

Sue them until they have difficulty remembering their own name, as a
succession of small claims for preference as they cant attempt to
claim costs.

Had problems with Scottish Power some time ago over Powercard meters,
lot of bull**** was fed my way, more mistakes they make , bigger hole
they dig themselves. After some months of causing SP grief had the
great pleasure of having one of their directors on a very short lead,
had him called out of meetings several times to answer the most inane
of questions :-)

Make sure that BG feel full heat right up the chain and pay heavily
for their mistakes. They have done wrong , you have not, do not give
up.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Clive" wrote in message

Yes they have agreed to reconnect at no cost (but not until Friday). When
pushed for an earlier appointment, was told no, either accept Friday, or
call back when you want to rearrange reconnection.

Well that's progress of sorts even if not the end of the matter so go for
it.

No apology, then have said that it is "my fault that I did not sent them
confirmation of the sale from my solicitor" - even though they have made
NO ATTEMPT to contact me or ask for this information. A simple letter
address to the property, would have established that the supply was from
Powergen, and that there was a problem which was easy to resolve.

The are fully aware that the property was sold from speaking to the agent
(prior to disconnection, and even had my name on file), and was therefore
FULLY AWARE that the debt was attached to a previous owner, and yet still
acted in using a warrant to enter a property.

Just discount everything you have heard from a call centre bod. Even if
strictly they are speaking for their company I doubt they have access to the
whole picture and don't speak with much knowledge or authority.

You have described unreasonable behaviour by Powergen but typical process
failure by British Gas. Two distinct and separate failures. Keep calm and
go through the written route trying to give them as much rope as possible.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Clive" wrote in message

[...]

This might be the regs. Go through it line by line and see if you can find
ANY contravention of the process.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1996/Uksi_19962535_en_1.htm

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1996/Uksi_19962535_en_1.htm

Jim A

I think those Regs cover entry for safety. I think the Rights of Entry
(Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 (as amended) deals with entry for
other purposes. But as others have said, the fault seems to lie in the
process of your buying the property.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Clive" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I get both gas and electric from British Gas. The bills arrive separately
but at about the same time and get paid at the same time when I do my online
banking. In Jan I sat down at the pc to pay the two current ones. Did the
electric one and then spotted that my customer reference number had been
changed although no warning of this was given anywhere. That's part of the
info set up on my online banking but too late to worry about it now. Before
paying the gas one I started to amend the ref number in the payee details
but got interupted part way through, the bills look almost identical and
stupidly I ended up putting the new electric ref number into the payee
details for the gas bill.

So I ended up paying the electric bill on the old electric ref number and
the gas one on the new electric ref number. I immediately realised this
would cause huge problems for a monolithic brainless corporation like BG and
that I'd end up with a £200 credit on my electric bill which they'd do
nothing about and an apparently unpaid gas one and that they'd never be able
to reconcile the two identical contra amounts.

Next morning I phoned them. Explained the situation to a call centre chap
and told him they needed to put a simple contra through between the two
accounts and all would be well. He said he'd do that and put a note on file
so I wouldn't get any nasty letters about unpaid bills.

A week or so later a letter arrived saying horrible things would occur if I
didn't pay this bill soon. I phoned them again. Went through the whole saga
again with a woman who said she'd sort it out and not to worry. Another note
would be put on file to make sure no more nasty letters arrive. Ten days
later a letter arrives saying my supply will now be cut off shortly if this
bill is not paid and warrant costs plus other things will be charged to me.

I phone them and ask to speak to a manager. All the managers in BG, every
single one of them, is apparently on a course but one will phone me back. No
one does. I phone again a couple of days later. All the managers in BG,
every single one of them, is apparently in a meeting but one will phone me
back. Later that day this actually happens.

Very apologetic chap who explains that with their old computer system a
contra entry was a 5 second job that anyone could do. In the new multi
million pound system just installed it requires a request form to be raised
which goes off for approval, gets stamped, goes somewhere else, gets put
into a queue and finally gets actioned 4 weeks later. In the meantime he'd
listen to the tape recordings, find out why two separate customer service
reps had failed miserably to make a simple note on file to stop nasty
letters being sent to me or get the contra entry process started. I'd also
get a £25 rebate for my trouble and stress.

I have no doubt that if I'd been away on business I could easily have come
back to a house with no heating and a broken door like you for a bill that
had been paid a month earlier. Dealing with these people is like farting
against thunder. No one hears you and nothing sensible gets done.

I've now swapping my gas and electric supply to different companies.
Scottish Power for electric and Atlantic for gas. At least this way I'll A)
get cheaper bills and B) not end up with one company unable to reconcile a
credit on one account with an identical debit on the other.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Had exactly the same problem with the local water company. They
threatened to take me to court and I ended up paying the bill again. I
tried to get back the money paid on the old account but have now let the
matter lapse due I cannot be doing with the hassle.

In article , Dave Baker
writes

"Clive" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Robin" wrote in message
k...

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1996/Uksi_19962535_en_1.htm

Jim A

I think those Regs cover entry for safety. I think the Rights of Entry
(Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 (as amended) deals with entry for
other purposes. But as others have said, the fault seems to lie in the
process of your buying the property.

Thanks for putting me right on that. Here is a more useful link for the OP

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-ri...y_boards.shtml

or

http://tinyurl.com/rhzmy

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Clive ] said:
They will undoubtedly claim that they sent letters, ask them for
copies of them.

I have spoken to them this morning.

1) They claim that they have not received my letter advising them of the new
owners details and opening meter reading when I completed on the property.

Next time, phone them instead of writing. If you must write, chase for a
reply if you haven't received one in a couple of weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Well so much for the manager who supposedly sorted everything out last week.
Today another letter arrives saying legal action is now being arranged and
my supply will be cut off on the 19th March. They will also tell a credit
reference agency I'm a bad payer.

The amount they are chasing has however dropped from £198.91 to £173.91 so
obviously the credit of £25 he said he'd give me for my trouble has been
processed but their ****ing stupid system still doesn't realise this bill
was paid over a month ago.

It's clearly a waste of bloody time speaking to these people so I'll just
wait for it to get to court then I'll counterclaim.

Avoid British Gas like the plague is my advice. They must be the most
incompetent bunch of cretins it's ever been my misfortune to deal with.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 28 Feb, 12:37, "Clive" wrote:
[...]

You need to get a new accounts set up as soon as you buy/move
property, notifying
the Utility Cos of the readings. Usually the bill is an account #
tied to a person, not just
the property.

And you should always phone as well as write. The arrogance and
incompetence
of utility Cos means that even this may not be sufficient. Certainly
I found the same with council tax (although they did quickly
apologise).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:02:37 -0000 someone who may be "Dave Baker"
wrote this:-

It's clearly a waste of bloody time speaking to these people so I'll just
wait for it to get to court then I'll counterclaim.

That is where letters come in handy.

Avoid British Gas like the plague is my advice. They must be the most
incompetent bunch of cretins it's ever been my misfortune to deal with.

Their accounts bunch certainly are.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

You need to get a new accounts set up as soon as you buy/move
property, notifying the Utility Cos of the readings. Usually the bill
is an account # tied to a person, not just
the property.

The OP did write to the the company with the meter details etc - but they
appear not to have acted upon this (claimed not received etc etc)

Despite being aware of the sale (including the date of completion), they
continue to exercise a warrant and enter the property.

You can be certain that they never told the court of the facts when applying
for the warrant.

i.e we wish to apply for a warrant for disconnection due to a debt. The
property was for sale and been sold (confirmed by the agent) so we know that
the person owning the debt is no longer the owner of the property, but we
havent actually written a letter to the property prior to disconnection
(because we dont need to).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Clive" wrote in message
. uk...
You need to get a new accounts set up as soon as you buy/move
property, notifying the Utility Cos of the readings. Usually the bill
is an account # tied to a person, not just
the property.

The OP did write to the the company with the meter details etc - but they
appear not to have acted upon this (claimed not received etc etc)

No, you wrote to the wrong company. You needed to sign a supply agreement
with your supplier of choice, not just give what you thought was the
existing supplier, but which wasn't, the readings. Its not surprising this
went pear shaped as British Gas had no supply agreement for the premises.

Despite being aware of the sale (including the date of completion), they
continue to exercise a warrant and enter the property.

You can be certain that they never told the court of the facts when
applying for the warrant.

How can we be certain? What did the warrant say?

i.e we wish to apply for a warrant for disconnection due to a debt. The
property was for sale and been sold (confirmed by the agent) so we know
that the person owning the debt is no longer the owner of the property,
but we havent actually written a letter to the property prior to
disconnection (because we dont need to).

I still think the fundamental problem is that you didn't take out a supply
agreement with (any) supplier of (your) choice.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 1 Mar, 16:57, David Hansen wrote:
On 1 Mar 2007 08:21:07 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

And you should always phone as well as write.

Why?

Because you KNOW they have recieved the information. With a letter
you
never know until you get the reply.

If they are unable or unwilling to deal with a letter then they are
even less unable or unwilling to deal with a telephone call.

They are not usually unwilling they just have a shambolic
organisation.
For standard things they do close issues.

Anything that deviates in the smallest way from their script is
usually
a problem.

If you move house you need to be pro-active: tell them the readings
and
get the new accounts set up on the day. And confirm in writing, then
follow up until you have written confirmation.

Not too difficult when you have done it 20 times :-(

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 28 Feb, 12:37, "Clive" wrote:

And you should always phone as well as write. The arrogance and
incompetence
of utility Cos means that even this may not be sufficient. Certainly
I found the same with council tax (although they did quickly
apologise).

TBO, a phone call is a waste of time, you end up talking to a droid who
generally has about a list of 10 things that they are allowed to say. And
generally you talk to a chap 3000 miles away on some 0845 number.

Much better, by a mile, is to send a short succinct letter and use the Royal
Mail's 'signed for' service. (costs about £1.00)

I've just had a battle with United Uts. In the end they threatened to take
me to court and so I promised to meet them there and make them all look
sillybillies. They swiftly changed their minds, put my account on hold and
agreed to do the work that I had previously requested ASAP. This was after
they realised that I would have a very good case, and they certainly
couldn't deny receiving any correspondence from me.

Julian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Julian" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 28 Feb, 12:37, "Clive" wrote:

And you should always phone as well as write. The arrogance and
incompetence
of utility Cos means that even this may not be sufficient. Certainly
I found the same with council tax (although they did quickly
apologise).

TBO, a phone call is a waste of time, you end up talking to a droid who
generally has about a list of 10 things that they are allowed to say. And
generally you talk to a chap 3000 miles away on some 0845 number.

If its complicated I agree, but one of the 10 things they can do is the
transfer of supply workflow. Its a proven and frequently exercised
workflow. In this case if the OP had phoned it would have become clear that
the supplier phoned had no agreement to supply the premises. Whether they
would have initiated the new supply process is another matter as hey it was
British Gas. But that said it is also one of 10 things they can do.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:46:12 GMT, "Julian" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On 28 Feb, 12:37, "Clive" wrote:

And you should always phone as well as write. The arrogance and
incompetence
of utility Cos means that even this may not be sufficient. Certainly
I found the same with council tax (although they did quickly
apologise).

TBO, a phone call is a waste of time, you end up talking to a droid who
generally has about a list of 10 things that they are allowed to say. And
generally you talk to a chap 3000 miles away on some 0845 number.

I had a letter from BG threatening disonnection if I didn't pay them
49 quid for gas. I faxed them pointing out that while I was in debit
49 for gas I was in credit 84 for electric. Got an apology and a 10
pound credit. Then went over to powergen 2 months later.