Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windsceen sealer

What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type car
windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body? It's not silicone based.
I've tried two motor factors and only been offered silicone based stuff.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type car
windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body?

Years ago one of our customers used to manufacture the stuff and
applicator machines, they were called "Gurit-Essex" but have now been
bought by Dow, but could give you a starting point ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2007 14:54, Andy Burns wrote:

they were called "Gurit-Essex"

I believe this is the system
http://automotive.dow.com/materials/...seal/index.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type car
windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body?

Years ago one of our customers used to manufacture the stuff and
applicator machines, they were called "Gurit-Essex" but have now been
bought by Dow, but could give you a starting point ...

Probably black butyl putty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type car
windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body? It's not silicone based.
I've tried two motor factors and only been offered silicone based stuff.

I've used such stuff. I've a feeling it was called Dum Dum ........ ????????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:28:10 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type
car windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body?

I suspect it the same as the stuff called black tack in our industry.

BT use it as a non-setting cable sealant. Horrible stuff really, leaves
marks, but is good flexable non-setting sealant.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type car
windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body? It's not silicone based.
I've tried two motor factors and only been offered silicone based stuff.

Are you thinking of black Bostik adhesive? I think that it does set fairly
hard. It's very messy stuff, but I believe that petrol (or paraffin) is the
solvent to use.

Sylvain.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the non setting black gunge pros use to seal between old type
car windscreens with a rubber mounting and the body? It's not silicone
based. I've tried two motor factors and only been offered silicone
based stuff.

Are you thinking of black Bostik adhesive? I think that it does set
fairly hard. It's very messy stuff, but I believe that petrol (or
paraffin) is the solvent to use.

The stuff they use these days grabs well initially so a vertical screen
would hold, but never goes hard. Excess rubs off glass or hands easily
with a dry cloth.

It's clever stuff.

I've ordered up the 3M type after a recommendation in uk.cars. maintenance.

http://www.3monline.co.uk/acatalog/Sealers.html

It's at the bottom of the page.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Grout Sealer Sawdusty Home Repair 4 April 29th 06 10:25 AM
Sealer Choice 15 Stone Sealer Question miamicuse Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 02:48 PM
Non-toxic Sealer JGS Woodworking 8 September 26th 05 12:01 PM
Grout Sealer Bishoop Home Ownership 1 April 30th 05 01:17 PM
New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 23rd 05 02:59 PM