Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Header Tank Culture

Hi all

Discovered recently that there was something dodgy in my header tank.
This has occurred since a heating upgrade in October last year.
Strange beige coloured scum on the surface and very murky water so you can't
see the bottom of the tank (even with a torch).

Applied some Fernox AF10 having cleaned out the tank as thoroughly as
possible.
As I baled out the tank it was like there very decomposed shreds of
newspaper coming out with the water.

The question is, will the rest of the water in the system be affected this
way, or is this localised to the header tank?
If it recurrs, the advice on the AF10 bottle was to that the system may need
steralising.
Anyone know what's involved in steralising a CH header tank?

Any other experiences of this stuff welcome.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 9:02 am, "TheScullster" wrote:

The question is, will the rest of the water in the system be affected this
way, or is this localised to the header tank?
If it recurrs, the advice on the AF10 bottle was to that the system may need
steralising.
Anyone know what's involved in steralising a CH header tank?

Usually confined to the header tank, I believe. The high temperatures
in the heating flow and return pipes will kill any organisms, but the
temperatures in the F&E tank and the nutrients will encourage the
proliferation of any bugs that get in. I think a scrub out with
bleach, wearing PPE (gloves, goggles, respirator) was recommended.

I had similar problems but switched to a sealed system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"TheScullster" wrote
Hi all

snip

Anyone know what's involved in steralising a CH header tank?

Any other experiences of this stuff welcome.

When I had this problem a few months ago I replaced
the header tank. Not a difficult job and cheap.

I had the system drained down for other reasons
and made sure a bottle of AF10 went into the rads
when refilling. Also added a bottle to the header tank.

The Fernox technical support team were very helpful.
Might be worth giving them a call.

Roy