Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default painting MDF radiator covers - spray them?

SWMBO has decreed that we will have a radiator cover on the rad in the
hallway (I know, I know).

Anyway, due to the annoying size the ones that are available ready finished
in white satin aren't going to be any good (short of a custom order one for
over 100 quid!) so I'm looking at painting it myself.

Given the ones that fit are basically an mdf frame with a bit of mdf mesh
in ( http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...70748&ts=36854 sort of
thing) a roller isn't gonna work well and I'm not fancying the idea of a
painting the thing with a brush...hence spraying sounds appealing.

We want the thing finished in white satin - skirting etc is done with
the dulux waterbased realife stuff so that would be ideal but I've no
idea if it can be sprayed or what sort of sprayer I'm looking for.

Any advice? A quick look around B&Q suggests electric sprayers from 20 quid
up. Screwfix list a 60 quid one as being able to spray emulsion which sounds
more like the thing. Any ideas? ( and no, she doesn't like the mdf look
despite my efforts to convince her ;-))

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Feb 07 21:04:13 GMT, dmc wrote:

SWMBO has decreed that we will have a radiator cover on the rad in the
hallway (I know, I know).

Any advice? A quick look around B&Q suggests electric sprayers from 20 quid
up. Screwfix list a 60 quid one as being able to spray emulsion which sounds
more like the thing. Any ideas? ( and no, she doesn't like the mdf look
despite my efforts to convince her ;-))

My advice would be a fair division of labour. Your job would be to
make/buy/install the radiator cover, her job would be the arty stuff
which means painting it.
2 benefits: first of all, the problem has become someone-else's (in
management terms, we call this a "solution" :-).
Secondly, once she's had to paint all the nooks and crannies, it's
very unlikely she'll decide that you need another one anywhere else.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-25 22:26:50 +0000, Peter Lynch said:

On Sun, 25 Feb 07 21:04:13 GMT, dmc wrote:

SWMBO has decreed that we will have a radiator cover on the rad in the
hallway (I know, I know).

Any advice? A quick look around B&Q suggests electric sprayers from 20 quid
up. Screwfix list a 60 quid one as being able to spray emulsion which sounds
more like the thing. Any ideas? ( and no, she doesn't like the mdf look
despite my efforts to convince her ;-))

My advice would be a fair division of labour. Your job would be to
make/buy/install the radiator cover, her job would be the arty stuff
which means painting it.
2 benefits: first of all, the problem has become someone-else's (in
management terms, we call this a "solution" :-).
Secondly, once she's had to paint all the nooks and crannies, it's
very unlikely she'll decide that you need another one anywhere else.

Pete

Excellent. I think that she should go and buy said item as well.
That should at least delay it for a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
[...]

So you wouldn't mention the spray gun to her then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-25 22:39:23 +0000, "Jason" said:

[...]

Actually it could be a reason to buy a compressor (of course it comes
bundled with a full set of air tools and nailers) and a spray gun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Lynch wrote:

My advice would be a fair division of labour. Your job would be to
make/buy/install the radiator cover, her job would be the arty stuff
which means painting it.
2 benefits: first of all, the problem has become someone-else's (in
management terms, we call this a "solution" :-).
Secondly, once she's had to paint all the nooks and crannies, it's
very unlikely she'll decide that you need another one anywhere else.

Pete - you are a genius!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-25 23:13:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Peter Lynch wrote:

My advice would be a fair division of labour. Your job would be to
make/buy/install the radiator cover, her job would be the arty stuff
which means painting it.
2 benefits: first of all, the problem has become someone-else's (in
management terms, we call this a "solution" :-).
Secondly, once she's had to paint all the nooks and crannies, it's
very unlikely she'll decide that you need another one anywhere else.

Pete - you are a genius!

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor to
the group
actually likes the idea of radiator covers.

For those who don't, reasons why.

I'll kick it off:

- I think that they are in the same ilik of (lack of) taste as phone cosies.

- They are dirt traps

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I can't think of any benefits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I can't think of any benefits.

They reduce scalding risk when used near vulnerable people, and they can
be used to make a really ugly radiator just ugly instead ;-)

Can't say I am a fan of them... although I like radiator shelves.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
[...]

Cans of car spray paint will work..use grey or white primer to start and
sand it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-26 01:35:51 +0000, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I can't think of any benefits.

They reduce scalding risk when used near vulnerable people, and they
can be used to make a really ugly radiator just ugly instead ;-)

Can't say I am a fan of them... although I like radiator shelves.

Those do at least prevent the flow of grubby air next to the wall and
eventual discolouration for a fairly small trade in radiator efficiency.

These, and also the Bloody Awful Radiator Cabinets (as in Spike
Milligan's repeated references to the Bloody Awful Warsaw Concerto in
Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall) need to be sealed against the
wall to achieve this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-25 23:13:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Peter Lynch wrote:

My advice would be a fair division of labour. Your job would be to
make/buy/install the radiator cover, her job would be the arty stuff
which means painting it.
2 benefits: first of all, the problem has become someone-else's (in
management terms, we call this a "solution" :-).
Secondly, once she's had to paint all the nooks and crannies, it's
very unlikely she'll decide that you need another one anywhere else.

Pete - you are a genius!

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor to
the group
actually likes the idea of radiator covers.

For those who don't, reasons why.

I'll kick it off:

- I think that they are in the same ilik of (lack of) taste as phone
cosies.

- They are dirt traps

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I think they are just horrible looking. Every time we pass one in B&Q my
wife continually looks at the price and says "It is great value, I think
we'll just buy it"
The words "No way" just do the trick and we move on.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cans of car spray paint will work..use grey or white primer to start and
sand it.

So I have to have one of these things, I still have to paint it yet I
don't even get a new power tool????

Doesn't seem fair :-( Normal car primer would be ok on plain mdf then yes?

I also have a couple of shelf units to paint so a spray gun if any good would
be used elsewhere (and SWMBO was measuring up the dining room rad yesterday...)

I forgot to say in the original post, I do have (access to) a good compressor
although I suspect that's not a lot of use for spraying this sort of paint?

As for why do people have then? Well, I'm not a huge fan I admit but they
don't all look quite so awful...and some rads are ugly

Mainly though it isn't my decision ;-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor
to the group
actually likes the idea of radiator covers.

For those who don't, reasons why.

I'll kick it off:

- I think that they are in the same ilik of (lack of) taste as phone
cosies.
- They are dirt traps

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I can't think of any benefits.

You can earn a good margin making non standard size ones for people? That's
a benefit :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor
to the group
actually likes the idea of radiator covers.

SNIP

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I still can't work this one out. Where does the heat go?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:17:56 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I still can't work this one out. Where does the heat go?

It doesn't, hence the heat output is reduced by 30%. Think of what would
happen if you wrapped the radiator in insulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor
to the group
actually likes the idea of radiator covers.

SNIP

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I still can't work this one out. Where does the heat go?

Straight back to the boiler, as hot (or less cool) water!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor
to the group
actually likes the idea of radiator covers.

SNIP

- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.

I still can't work this one out. Where does the heat go?

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection. The SWMBO fashion accessory impedes both, reducing
output and the return temperture will be higher than without the
uglybox.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Much more by convection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Much more by convection.

So which part of "by radiation and more so by convection" do you find so
cryptic that you feel the need to add your own interpretation?

Out of curiosity, do you know what the approximate percentage split
between heat losses from a rad by radiation and convection are?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:04:04 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

Er... WHat did I just say, numbnuts...?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:19:50 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Much more by convection.

Did you want the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:19:50 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
m...

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Much more by convection.

Did you want the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour?

Just what does he not understand?

Any radiator cover will slow down convection and radiation.

Went down to our son's, new to him, house last Tuesday and very nearly
burnt my hand on a radiator. Am I right in saying that the lower you run
the boiler temp, the more efficient the system is?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Much more by convection.

Did you want the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour?

Just what does he not understand?

do you want te simpoel answer 'everything' or teh exahaustive
list..which would be a lifetimes work.

Things I Do Not Understand, By Dr Drivel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Went down to our son's, new to him, house last Tuesday and very nearly
burnt my hand on a radiator. Am I right in saying that the lower you run
the boiler temp, the more efficient the system is?

Yes and no ;-)

If you have a condensing boiler, then its efficiency will improve as the
temperature of the return water flowing into it from the heating circuit
gets cooler. However on the flip side, the efficiency of the rads (i.e.
amount of heat released into the room will go down). So it helps if the
rads are oversized for the room (which they probably will be on all but
the coldest days if the system was designed in the first place).

With a traditional boiler however, having a low return temp (typically
anything less than 70 degrees C) risks it condensing as well - something
that will damage a boiler not designed to cope with this.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by
convection.

Not so. More by convection.

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Much more by convection.

Did you want the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour?

Just what does he not understand?

Any radiator cover will slow down convection and radiation.

Went down to our son's, new to him, house last Tuesday and very nearly
burnt my hand on a radiator.

Aha! A benefit for covers at last.
I'm amazed with all this health and safety stuff that you can fry eggs
on your rads, and that some boilers don't have a temperature control

radiator covers? mo Home Repair 1 October 22nd 06 11:43 PM
Radiator Covers! [email protected] UK diy 9 October 15th 06 12:13 AM
Painting or Spray painting dried wild flowers michaelangelo7 UK diy 1 December 31st 05 07:05 PM
First attempt to spray MDF Sean Delere UK diy 14 June 14th 04 01:44 AM
Radiator Covers Martin UK diy 13 January 25th 04 11:47 AM