DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/193041-anyone-who-thinks-home-wind-turbines-good-idea.html)

[email protected] February 22nd 07 12:23 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

Robert Laws February 22nd 07 12:48 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

On Feb 22, 12:23 pm, "
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

You'd think the Times would bother to get the units right. "kw" is
not only spelled wrong (it should be "kW") but it is not the irght
unit anyway. I guess they meant kiloWatt hours.

grumpy,
Cambridge

wattie February 22nd 07 01:36 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 22, 12:23 pm, "
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

You'd think the Times would bother to get the units right. "kw" is
not only spelled wrong (it should be "kW") but it is not the irght
unit anyway. I guess they meant kiloWatt hours.

grumpy,
Cambridge

"but it is not the irght unit"
What does 'irght' mean?

Andy Hall February 22nd 07 04:46 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

On 2007-02-22 12:23:47 +0000, "
said:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

I love it. Onanism par excellence.

I think I'll drop a note to the Times exposing solar panel ROI while
they're at it.

Dwayne & Angela February 22nd 07 05:23 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

He spent £13000 for a windturbine that only give 9 pence worth of leccy a
week????
surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

Ed Sirett February 22nd 07 07:24 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:23:30 +0000, Dwayne & Angela wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

He spent £13000 for a windturbine that only give 9 pence worth of leccy a
week????
surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer. It would be a lamentable but plausible fact if a general member
of the public was conned (by the marketing, innumerate prose, band wagons
etc.). It says a lot uncomplimentary things about the victim that
was sold this toy who could not evaluate the suitablility of equipment
costing £13k.

To those who say "the device will pay for it's energy of manufacture
and installation", I have no disagreement in principle. It's just what
damage the £10k+ profit shared out along the way will do the environment,
how many foreign holidays, 4X4s, garden jacussis and patio heaters will
that pay for?

Andy Hall February 22nd 07 08:52 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

On 2007-02-22 17:23:30 +0000, "Dwayne & Angela"
said:

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

He spent £13000 for a windturbine that only give 9 pence worth of leccy a
week????
surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

You would think, wouldn't you?

Have you ever read about the king's suit of clothes?

Andy Hall February 22nd 07 08:56 PM

On 2007-02-22 19:24:38 +0000, Ed Sirett said:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:23:30 +0000, Dwayne & Angela wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

He spent £13000 for a windturbine that only give 9 pence worth of leccy a
week????
surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer. It would be a lamentable but plausible fact if a general member
of the public was conned (by the marketing, innumerate prose, band wagons
etc.). It says a lot uncomplimentary things about the victim that
was sold this toy who could not evaluate the suitablility of equipment
costing £13k.

Ah.. but if you believe in it so much and really want it to work then
failure is not on the list of options...

until reality sets in of course.

To those who say "the device will pay for it's energy of manufacture
and installation", I have no disagreement in principle. It's just what
damage the £10k+ profit shared out along the way will do the environment,
how many foreign holidays, 4X4s, garden jacussis and patio heaters will
that pay for?

Quite a few. Such is the cynicism of the purveyors of these goods.

Joe February 23rd 07 11:17 AM

On 2007-02-22 19:24:38 +0000, Ed Sirett said:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:23:30 +0000, Dwayne & Angela wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398220.ece

He spent £13000 for a windturbine that only give 9 pence worth of
leccy a
week????
surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer. It would be a lamentable but plausible fact if a general member
of the public was conned (by the marketing, innumerate prose, band wagons
etc.). It says a lot uncomplimentary things about the victim that
was sold this toy who could not evaluate the suitablility of equipment
costing £13k.

Ah.. but if you believe in it so much and really want it to work then
failure is not on the list of options...

until reality sets in of course.

An attitude which might equip someone for many possible careers, but
engineering isn't one of them. Politics would seem to beckon...

Grow Your Own Energy February 23rd 07 12:15 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

Grow Your Own Energy, a UK consumer advisory service on domestic
renewable energy agrees with the main premise that urban small wind is
a niche market. The vast majority of urban sites, especially for
building mounted turbines are likely to be unsuitable. We'd encourage
those considering a wind turbine to visit our web site and use the
Technology Choice Questionnaire to see if the technology would be
viable for your home. www.growyourownenergy.co.uk
or give us a call on 0845 257 9 257

Andy Dingley February 23rd 07 02:05 PM

On 22 Feb, 19:24, Ed Sirett wrote:

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer.

He's not just "an engineer", he's an engineer who lives in Woolwich
and is called John Large.
Can you guess who it is yet?

Not to suggest that any particular John Large might have a certain
_agenda_ behind energy issues!

Ed Sirett February 23rd 07 05:55 PM

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 06:05:25 -0800, Andy Dingley wrote:

On 22 Feb, 19:24, Ed Sirett wrote:

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer.

He's not just "an engineer", he's an engineer who lives in Woolwich
and is called John Large.
Can you guess who it is yet?

Not to suggest that any particular John Large might have a certain
_agenda_ behind energy issues!

Sorry I'm not up to speed on the identities of John Large and his agendas
hidden or otherwise.

Adam Aglionby February 23rd 07 07:44 PM

On 23 Feb, 17:55, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 06:05:25 -0800, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 22 Feb, 19:24, Ed Sirett wrote:

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an
Engineer.

He's not just "an engineer", he's an engineer who lives in Woolwich
and is called John Large.
Can you guess who it is yet?

Not to suggest that any particular John Large might have a certain
_agenda_ behind energy issues!

Sorry I'm not up to speed on the identities of John Large and his agendas
hidden or otherwise.

Guess its the same John large often cited as an independent nuclear
consultant.

Adam

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Gas Fitting Standards Docs hehttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards

raden February 23rd 07 08:32 PM

For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

In message .com, Grow
Your Own Energy writes
Grow Your Own Energy, a UK consumer advisory service on domestic
renewable energy agrees with the main premise that urban small wind is
a niche market.

Yeah, but where does it stand on fully blown fart gas ?

Does your site have figures for the calorific value?

Do you ever stop plugging it ?

--
geoff

Andy Wade February 24th 07 01:08 PM

Ed Sirett wrote:

Sorry I'm not up to speed on the identities of John Large and his agendas
hidden or otherwise.

First two hits on Google:
http://www.expertsearch.co.uk/cgi-bin/find_expert?2800
http://www.largeassociates.com/