Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Barge and fascia board replacement price check

Hi

The barge and fascia boards on the front of our 1930's Surrey house
are rotten and I plan to have them replaced with black uPVC. The gable
is 4m wide and the fascia stretch is 4.5m. A local firm has quoted
£1195 (inc VAT) to replace them and the soffits in black uPVC. Another
firm has quoted more than £1300. The first firm expects to complete
the work in a day. £1195 seems a lot of money for this. Please will
someone give me a sanity check and say whether or not this is
excessive?

Actually, the soffits look sound but I guess it is prudent to replace
them at the same time. Would you agree?

The more expensive firm's process is to fit a tanalised timber backing
board behind the fascia boards. They say this is necessary because
uPVC on its own cannot handle the load bearing requirement imposed by
the overhanging roof tiles, the gutters and the soffits. The cheaper
firm does not fit such timber and they say they have never heard of
any firm doing this. Please will someone advise whether a timber
backing is required?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 14, 8:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sounds ludicrous. Ask them how many people they'll have on the job,
look up an approximate price for the materials, and work out an hourly
rate.

Get a quote for sticking new timber up. It'll look better (more in-
keeping) and (with straightforward occasional maintenance) last
longer. Plus it's way more environmentally friendly. It should also
cost much less than £1300, but will have the required strength.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The barge and fascia boards on the front of our 1930's Surrey house
are rotten and I plan to have them replaced with black uPVC. The gable
is 4m wide and the fascia stretch is 4.5m. A local firm has quoted
£1195 (inc VAT) to replace them and the soffits in black uPVC. Another
firm has quoted more than £1300. The first firm expects to complete
the work in a day. £1195 seems a lot of money for this. Please will
someone give me a sanity check and say whether or not this is
excessive?

It could certainly be worse... a neighbour paid something over £2000 for
similar work although that did include gutter replacement.

When I did all my fascias, soffits (including a large bay window with
bonnet roof overhang), and gutters, the materials came to £400 ish.

Actually, the soffits look sound but I guess it is prudent to replace
them at the same time. Would you agree?

What are the existing ones made from? In a 30's property it would be
quite common for them to be made from asbestolux.

The more expensive firm's process is to fit a tanalised timber backing
board behind the fascia boards. They say this is necessary because
uPVC on its own cannot handle the load bearing requirement imposed by
the overhanging roof tiles, the gutters and the soffits. The cheaper

Unless you have particularly widely spaced rafters this seems unlikely.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb, 20:35, wrote:

The barge and fascia boards on the front of our 1930's Surrey house
are rotten and I plan to have them replaced with black uPVC.

Evil stuff. How about a cement-based board like Viroc? Lasts longer
than wood, but it's still paintable so it has a longer lifetime than
UPVC. Black UPVC is far better than white: it doesn't look quite so
chavvy when new, but it still looks scruffy after a few years and
there's no way to refurbish it without replacement.

A local firm has quoted
£1195 (inc VAT) to replace them and the soffits in black uPVC.

Impossible to comment without seeing it. This could quite justifiably
be 300 quid to do it and 900 quid just to get up there. Ask around for
other quotes and ask for breakdowns of where the price comes from.
1200 because it really is a lot of access work is one thing, but 1200
for man+boy to do it within a day sounds implausible, because they
can't create that much extra value in that short a time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Just to clarify, £1200 included
guttering, scaffolding and waste disposal.

How can I tell if the soffits are asbestolux?

If it is asbestolux, is it best left, or should we replace with uPvc?