Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV prog 2-3 weeks ago about new design waterwheel - anyone recall what it was?

I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for
a machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

Many thanks

GS

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Feb 13, 10:30 pm, "Great Scot"
wrote:
I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for
a machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

Many thanks

GS

Here you go:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/6221073.stm

I never saw the programme, would be interested in comments from anyone
who has more details

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:30:48 -0000, "Great Scot"
wrote:

I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for
a machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

Many thanks

GS

If you mean the one about the size of a sewing machine with the 8 inch
head, I started a thread some weeks ago.

The conclusion, after technical consideration seemed to be it would
work fine if it was 200 meters wide and at the bottom of Niagara, or
the electrician who had invented it, who didn't have any electrical
appliances at home, had been let out for the weekend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for
a machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

I didn't see a program about it, but it was reported on the BBC website
about 2 months ago - IIRC he started off using yoghurt cartons then
scaled up - you might be able to search on a number of keywords to see
if you can find it :-}

Try this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/6221073.stm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Great Scot expressed precisely :
I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for a
machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

Many thanks

GS

I think you have the revolutionary mixed up with just a program which
showed an ordinary one being built and put to use.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for
a machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

Many thanks

GS

If you mean the one about the size of a sewing machine with the 8 inch
head, I started a thread some weeks ago.

The conclusion, after technical consideration seemed to be it would
work fine if it was 200 meters wide and at the bottom of Niagara, or
the electrician who had invented it, who didn't have any electrical
appliances at home, had been let out for the weekend.

The idea seems sound in that the efficiency is multiplied due to the
fact the weight of the water stays at optimum far longer than in a
circular wheel.

The shape of the mechanism/lever? is that of caterpillar tracks. Thus
all the water in the down section is accelerating at:
1 Kgm per litre x the force of gravity.

Each bucket is tipped out at the bottom and is raised empty. Thus the
thing is similar to the wheel in that the weight of one part is
countered by the weight of an opposite part.

But it can only provide the power take off that has to come from the
head of water in the first place. A turbine or set of turbines,
running in a downtube would be just as efficient I imagine.

The idea was sweet in that no-one else had thought about it. Yet the
idea has been the basis of countless methods of raising water since
men began to use chains.

What would be interesting is finding out if something like it could be
instituted in a generator. Instead of having 4 or 6 magnets revolving
about a stator or however they work, how about a chain of them?

Sort of replacing a standard motorcycle chain with a combined drive
and electricity generating combo. I wonder if that could work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I saw a tv programme 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more, that featured a project for
a machine using a water wheel to produce power.
The efficiency of the wheel was supposedly revolutionary, pun not intended.
Does anyone here recall what the programme was or better still have a link?
No, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

Many thanks

GS

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...ro_Gener ator
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

The idea was sweet in that no-one else had thought about it. Yet the
idea has been the basis of countless methods of raising water since
men began to use chains.

What would be interesting is finding out if something like it could be
instituted in a generator. Instead of having 4 or 6 magnets revolving
about a stator or however they work, how about a chain of them?

Sort of replacing a standard motorcycle chain with a combined drive
and electricity generating combo. I wonder if that could work.

Its been thought about AFAICR.

Its like putting a chain with a set of paddles along a stream bed (you would
do the opposite and have the chain above the stream for maintenance
reasons).
The flow moves each paddle and each gets pushed by the water behind.
You have about 20 of them in the stream providing power at any one time.
I don't see how its better than having a wheel with big buckets other than
it may work at lower heads.

(In the one shown in the BBC pictures it would return a hell of a lot more
power if you tilted it up (and built a short channel and used the full water
drop.)

It would be an interesting idea to put a linear motor along the bed and put
the moving magnet part on the chain.
It reduces the moving parts so should make it more reliable.

Reliability is where its likely to fall down.. a moving chain drive is not
as reliable as wheel so the returns will be less when you take maintenance
into account.
I can't imagine having any chain wheels that last a few hundred years like
wheels do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I can't imagine having any chain wheels that last a few hundred years like
wheels do.

No water wheel ever built lasted a few hundred years.

They need regular maintenance and frequent rebuilds or they just fall
apart.
--

Dave

Prog. Thermostats Grumps UK diy 15 October 2nd 05 01:14 PM
Re prev post from me from 2 weeks ago Arthur UK diy 0 July 15th 05 10:38 PM
How to bend 1/8" plate for waterwheel buckets? zukecanoe Metalworking 17 March 30th 05 04:13 AM
That TV prog John Jardine UK diy 19 July 24th 03 03:47 AM