Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical requirement for Gas only Range cookers

Hi
I wish to buy a gas fueled range cooker, but am confused as to whether
it needs as much as 13amps. I think the electricity would be required
for the fan, timer and ignition. Can anyone advise if it can be
installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might
require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

Many thanks
Tracy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tracy wrote:
Hi
I wish to buy a gas fueled range cooker, but am confused as to whether
it needs as much as 13amps. I think the electricity would be required
for the fan, timer and ignition. Can anyone advise if it can be
installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might
require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

If it is heated only by gas then the electrical requirements will be
very low, as you suggest just ignition, timer, and fan (if it has one).
It will come with a 13A plug prefitted.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tracy wrote:
Can anyone advise if it can be
installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might
require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

I thought a standard socket *was* rated for 13 amps?

Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 13:47, Alex wrote:
Tracy wrote:
Can anyone advise if it can be
installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might
require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

I thought a standard socket *was* rated for 13 amps?

Alex

Thanks very much - sorry to be thick, but in my previous place, I was
advised that I need to rewire to the outlet, so wanted to avoid that.
Cheers!

Tracy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tracy wrote:

Thanks very much - sorry to be thick, but in my previous place, I was
advised that I need to rewire to the outlet, so wanted to avoid that.
Cheers!

The only time you are likely to need a dedicated supply wired to a
cooker is when you have an electric hob or electric double oven. Most
other cases are ok on an ordinary socket.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb 2007 06:54:07 -0800 someone who may be "Tracy"
wrote this:-

Thanks very much - sorry to be thick, but in my previous place, I was
advised that I need to rewire to the outlet, so wanted to avoid that.

What sort of outlet do you have at the moment?

Is there provision for an electric cooker at the moment? If there is
then there will be a large switch a bit like
near the cooker position and a cooker outlet lower down like

If that is the case then the outlet needs to be replaced by an
arrangement that provides the lower fuse value necessary for the new
cooker. Ask the supplier what these are, but I guess that the fuse
needs to be rated at 3 or perhaps 5 amps and the cooker comes with a
plug fitted. If this is the case then replacing the outlet with an
unswitched socket is all that is necessary
and the cooker can be plugged into this.

If there is not provision for an electric cooker at the moment then
the new cooker needs to be connected to a suitable socket or spur.
We need more information to advise on this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb 2007 05:12:52 -0800, "Tracy" wrote:

|Hi
|I wish to buy a gas fueled range cooker, but am confused as to whether
|it needs as much as 13amps. I think the electricity would be required
|for the fan, timer and ignition. Can anyone advise if it can be
|installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might
|require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

You really need too read the instruction leaflet.
I have just installed (grabs leaflet) a *gas* fuelled, six burner 2 oven
gas which along with the fans, Ignition and timer mentioned, has a warming
compartment rated at .22kw, and demands a *3* amp fuse. None of the
publicity bumpf mentioned this. But a 3 amp supply will probably do.

Look at the leaflet which comes with the cooker, or demand of the sales
person a written statement of the electrics required.
---
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
also PG Nos 2888, 3232, 17472, 17799
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Tracy wrote:
I wish to buy a gas fueled range cooker, but am confused as to whether
it needs as much as 13amps. I think the electricity would be required
for the fan, timer and ignition. Can anyone advise if it can be
installed using a standard socket, as installing a 13 amp socket might
require me to rewire, and lift polished floorboards

What sort of outlet do you have at the moment? If you already have a
cooker electrical point, that is far more than 13 amps and only needs
suitable (lower) fuse protection for the new cooker electrics.

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.