Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radial circuit question

I'm rewiring the house and whilst most socket outlets will be on the RCD
side of the split load CU, there are one or two things I don't want
protected by the RCD so I intend making use of a radial circuit for these.

I've used a 20A MCB and I've run 2.5mm T&E to a single socket on one kitchen
wall for the fridge, then over to the opposite wall for a single socket for
the freezer. I've then taken it up into the loft to an FCU (fused at 3A)
feeding the boiler and a single socket feeding a TV distribution amplifier -
a total run of approximately 17 metres.

My question is, can I extend it a further 3 meters to drop down into the
bathroom and feed a fan heater, such as this one:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXFX20V.html

At 2kW, that would be the highest rated load and it would be right at the
end of the cable run so would this be OK?

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 15:41, "John" wrote:
[...]

Should be fine. Max length for a 20A MCB fed radial in 2.5mm is 33m.
This assumes there is no derating due to running through insulation or
bunching with other cable. As a socket circuit it is assumed that you
might plug anything in at any point so the standard circuit should
cover for this. I got the length from another web-forum (careful
searching) but will check in the OSG tonight. It will be somewhere in
Table 7.1 (I think that's the one).

Alternatively someone who has learnt the OSG by rote may be able to
confirm quicker than this.

Fash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 17:41, "Fash" wrote:
On 1 Feb, 15:41, "John" wrote:

[...]

Fash- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to add there is also the caveat about only supplying a 20sqm
area in total. You should be OK on this. You may want to check that
you aren't likely to end up pulling more than the rated 20A if
everything is going though.

Fash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fash" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 1 Feb, 17:41, "Fash" wrote:
On 1 Feb, 15:41, "John" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Fash, all noted.

John.

2.5mm radial circuit? John UK diy 4 August 9th 06 06:12 PM
Radial Circuit SantaUK UK diy 5 April 28th 06 07:48 PM
kitchen radial circuit Cuprager UK diy 7 April 24th 06 03:37 PM
Is this allowed for a radial circuit? John UK diy 10 October 8th 05 08:09 PM
Convert radial (cooker) circuit to socket circuit Chi UK diy 3 December 23rd 03 05:48 PM