Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaky roof

Went up the loft to find that a lot of stuff was going mouldy. In a
couple of placed there are nails coming through the lining and these do
have water on them, although when it rained a lot recently there ws
beaded water all over the inside, not just by the nails.

Also the roof is covered in moss and really needs a good clean.

A roof report we had done in the summer when it was nice and hot and
dry everywhere said there were no problems and the roof was in a good
state.

Can anyone offer advice at steps to take?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"RichGK" wrote:
Went up the loft to find that a lot of stuff was going mouldy. In a
couple of placed there are nails coming through the lining and these do
have water on them, although when it rained a lot recently there ws
beaded water all over the inside, not just by the nails.

Also the roof is covered in moss and really needs a good clean.

A roof report we had done in the summer when it was nice and hot and
dry everywhere said there were no problems and the roof was in a good
state.

Can anyone offer advice at steps to take?

If the roof report was correct, and the roof is definitely not leaking, the
only other explanation is that you have a condensation problem due to poor
ventilation in the loft. The current cold wet weather will make this
worse.We need a bit more info, such as is it gable end with air bricks, if
so, are these clear, and are there any ventilation points in the soffits?
Does it seem draughty in the loft? If this is a recent problem then that
could point to ventilation being OK and you now have a leaking roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jan, 13:41, "DIY" wrote:
"RichGK" wrote:
Went up the loft to find that a lot of stuff was going mouldy. In a
couple of placed there are nails coming through the lining and these do
have water on them, although when it rained a lot recently there ws
beaded water all over the inside, not just by the nails.

Also the roof is covered in moss and really needs a good clean.

A roof report we had done in the summer when it was nice and hot and
dry everywhere said there were no problems and the roof was in a good
state.

Can anyone offer advice at steps to take?If the roof report was correct, and the roof is definitely not leaking, the

only other explanation is that you have a condensation problem due to poor
ventilation in the loft. The current cold wet weather will make this
worse.We need a bit more info, such as is it gable end with air bricks, if
so, are these clear, and are there any ventilation points in the soffits?
Does it seem draughty in the loft? If this is a recent problem then that
could point to ventilation being OK and you now have a leaking roof.

We moved into the property last August so I'm not sure about whether
its recent or not. However there is a carpet in the loft and it smelt a
bit old and with hindsight it has a smell that you could attribute to
having been damp in the past.

The loft does have a slight draught however I can't see any actual air
bricks in the construction.

The damp was worse on the really cold days where it also rained and it
did look like all over the inside condensation rather than more
localised leaks.

Do tiles (as opposed to slates) allow more cold through so are more
susseptable to condensation?

Also to the person that suggests I leave the moss - thanks! It's one
less thing to worry about :-)

Leaky roof? balboni Home Repair 2 March 14th 06 10:07 PM
Leaky Garage Roof Rob Convery UK diy 4 November 11th 05 01:06 PM
leaky roof fix no_spam UK diy 1 July 5th 03 09:03 PM
leaky roof fix no_spam UK diy 1 July 5th 03 02:46 PM
leaky roof fix no_spam UK diy 0 July 5th 03 08:05 AM