Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concealing the wiring for an electric inset fire

I'm probably going to fit one of those inset electric fires into an
existing fireplace - basically just for decorative purposes as there is
CH in the room.

Something like this: http://tinyurl.com/2h4vus (or
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins/popups/gen_el_pop_from_gensku.jsp?PRODID=7520211&SKUID=75 20211&CATID=8530237&ref=detail&startIndex=1&referr er=%2Fbq%2Fnav%2Fnav.jsp%3Faction%3Ddetail%26fh_se condid%3D7520211%26fh_reftheme%3Dpromo_50931852%25 2cseeall%252c%252f%252fcatalog01%252fen_GB%252fcat egories%253c%257b8530236%257d%252fcategories%253c% 257b8530237%257d%26fh_sort_order%3D1%26fh_sort_by% 3D_price_rrp_min%26fh_location%3D%252f%252fcatalog 01%252fen_GB%252fcategories%253c%257b8530236%257d% 252fcategories%253c%257b8530237%257d%252fspecifica tionsProductType%253e%257belectric_fires%257d%26fh _eds%3D%25c3%259f%26fh_refview%3Dlister%26ts%3D116 9631766372&null&IsError=no)

What is the normal way of providing power to these? They are usually
supplied with a flex plus 13A plug emerging from the rear; and you
really don't want to have a flex emerging from the side of the fire and
trailing across the hearth to the nearest socket - and I'm sure that's
not intended.

Now in the past when I've fitted these beasts I've solved this by
drilling a long hole from the outside of the chimney breast into the
fireplace; threading the flex down said hole; and connecting up to a
socket on the side of the chimney breast. However, in the current case,
the fireplace is actually on a totally flat wall, with the chimney
breast in the adjacent room, which seems a bit unusual, and which makes
concealing the flex awkward. So:

Option (1): I drill my hole as before, but this means the flex will pass
through the chimney breast to connect to a socket in the adjacent room
(still in my property, obviously!)

Option (2): I install a spurred socket on the firebrick *inside* the
fireplace, behind the electric fire.

In either case, I could use an FCU instead if that would be better, but
even so, both the above options seem a bit dodgy practice to me. Apart
from other considerations, this will need to pass a future electrical
inspection, so needs to be right! What do the experts think?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:59:56 GMT someone who may be Lobster
wrote this:-

However, in the current case,
the fireplace is actually on a totally flat wall, with the chimney
breast in the adjacent room, which seems a bit unusual, and which makes
concealing the flex awkward. So:

Option (1): I drill my hole as before, but this means the flex will pass
through the chimney breast to connect to a socket in the adjacent room
(still in my property, obviously!)

Option (2): I install a spurred socket on the firebrick *inside* the
fireplace, behind the electric fire.

Assuming it is on a ring main, or radial circuit, which also feeds
the living room, drill through the wall from the adjacent room and
fit a switched fused connection unit on the totally flat wall as a
spur. This might be a suitably fancy metal one rather than a plastic
one. Run a cable from this to a cord outlet inside the fireplace and
connect the flex up to this. Ensure flex is not trapped when putting
the fire back, ensure the temperature inside the fireplace does not
rise above what the cable and accessories can cope with.

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/Dea...n_Units_6.html
has plastic examples of the two bits.

If you are short of sockets then for little extra effort a ring main
could be extended into the living room, with extra sockets in the
adjacent room and living room. These can also be installed simply as
a way of getting cables into acceptable zones.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

OK, that makes sense: a variation on Option (2) then. With the ring
main I've just installed, there's no problem in principle cabling up that.

So, positioning a cable outlet inside the fireplace like this would
definitely be regarded as "OK"?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:19:29 GMT someone who may be Lobster
wrote this:-

So, positioning a cable outlet inside the fireplace like this would
definitely be regarded as "OK"?

Few things are definite. If the surface inside the fireplace is
suitable and if the temperature at the back of the fire is not too
great then I would be happy to argue it is fine. In essence it is no
different to a cooker connection unit.

An alternative would be to put some plastic conduit between the
switched fused connection unit and the fireplace and thread the
cable from the fire through that.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dinnae install an inset electric fires into thy existing fireplace for
decorative purposes. Dinnae dinnae dinnae.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anita Palley wrote:
Dinnae install an inset electric fires into thy existing fireplace for
decorative purposes. Dinnae dinnae dinnae.

Because because because....?

Can improper wiring actually cause a fire? Toller Woodworking 149 January 6th 07 02:37 PM
Board in hearth of inset gas fire Alan Kennedy UK diy 2 December 17th 05 09:56 PM
Inset Fire Andrew UK diy 2 May 2nd 05 11:19 AM
Electric Subpanel fire Seawulf Home Repair 25 March 8th 05 03:54 AM
Wiring/Fire Code Around Chimneys? Doug White Metalworking 0 September 19th 04 04:27 PM