DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Double ended fixings (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/189702-double-ended-fixings.html)

Mark A January 19th 07 05:04 PM

Double ended fixings

Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones that
have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not large,
something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Cheers

Regards

Mark

[email protected] January 19th 07 05:37 PM

Double ended fixings

Mark A wrote:

Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones that
have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not large,
something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Cheers

Regards

Mark

screwfix.com, probably toolstation.com as well.

NT

George January 19th 07 05:40 PM

Double ended fixings

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mark A wrote:

Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones that
have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not large,
something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Cheers

Regards

Mark

screwfix.com, probably toolstation.com as well.

NT

But have you actually seen these? cos I havn't.

Peter Andrews January 19th 07 05:42 PM

Double ended fixings

"Mark A" wrote in message
Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones that
have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not large,
something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Cheers

Regards

Mark

Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=VHIJAZN2NZTKACSTHZOCF FY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=6020

Part 16020 but be aware they only have 10mm of threaded M6, not equal
amounts as their picture - I would have sent them back but it wasn't worth
the bother!

Peter

Mark A January 19th 07 05:49 PM

Double ended fixings

Peter Andrews wrote:

Part 16020 but be aware they only have 10mm of threaded M6, not equal
amounts as their picture - I would have sent them back but it wasn't
worth the bother!

Hmm, the picture looks to be exactly what I'm after, but 10mm would
not be enough, dang it!

Cheers for looking though.

Regards

Mark

Tony Bryer January 19th 07 05:51 PM

Double ended fixings

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:04:47 +0000 Mark A wrote :
Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones
that have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not
large, something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Do you mean a wood screw at one end and threaded at the other like a
stud. Screwfix sell them and IIRC you can find them in sheds with
staircase parts and fittings.

Cicero January 19th 07 06:01 PM

Double ended fixings

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:49:41 +0000, Mark A wrote:

Peter Andrews wrote:

Part 16020 but be aware they only have 10mm of threaded M6, not equal
amounts as their picture - I would have sent them back but it wasn't
worth the bother!

Hmm, the picture looks to be exactly what I'm after, but 10mm would not be
enough, dang it!

Cheers for looking though.

Regards

Mark

===============================
Strangely enough the M4 x 40 has 20mm of each thread:

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Mark A January 19th 07 06:29 PM

Double ended fixings

Cicero wrote:

Strangely enough the M4 x 40 has 20mm of each thread:

That'd do me. I guess a quick nip to Screwfix is in order.

Cheers!

Regards

Mark

Stuart Noble January 19th 07 06:56 PM

Double ended fixings

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:04:47 +0000 Mark A wrote :
Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones
that have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not
large, something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Do you mean a wood screw at one end and threaded at the other like a
stud. Screwfix sell them and IIRC you can find them in sheds with
staircase parts and fittings.

Aren't they called dowel screws?
http://www.a2a4.co.uk/acatalog/DOWEL_SCREWS_A_2.html

Mark A January 19th 07 07:18 PM

Double ended fixings

Stuart Noble wrote:

Aren't they called dowel screws?

Would seem so. That explains why I didn't get much from trying to search
Screwfix with "double ended screws".

Regards

Mark

wannabe January 19th 07 10:25 PM

Double ended fixings

Mark A wrote:
Anyone know where you can get double ended fixings? I'm after ones that
have a wood screw at one end, and a bolt at the other. Not large,
something like a size eight with a 6mm bolt, or so.

Cheers

Regards

Mark

handrail bolts sound like the type of things you want.. B&Q do them,
also in the screwfix catalouge

steve

Andy Wade January 20th 07 01:10 AM

Double ended fixings

Mark A wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Aren't they called dowel screws?

Would seem so. That explains why I didn't get much from trying to search
Screwfix with "double ended screws".

Usage varies no doubt, but in my book a 'dowel screw' is a double-ended
woodscrew. The item with a woodscrew at one end and a parallel thread
machine screw at the other is called a 'speaker screw' - presumably from
its original use for fixing loudspeaker drive units into wooden cabinets.

--
Andy