Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Henderson g30 sectional door, installation question.

Hi to all, Is anyone out there familiar with installing Henderson
sectional doors? I just finshed installing one on my garage but it's
operation is puzzling me. This is the TOF version with tensioning
springs above the door.

The door raises okay but gets to a point where the tensioned ropes are
at a minimum length way before the door is at the limit of it's
rearwards travel, in fact the door is not fully open. Once you push
the door past the point where the ropes are at minimum length, (i.e.
maximum amount of rope on the tensioned pulley wheel), you are then
fighting against the springs. If you push the door back far enough to
be horizontal it falls back to the point where the ropes are at minimum
length as soon as you let go of it. Because of this I am losing at
least 6" of much needed headroom at the door. Not sure if I've
described this well, but anyone familiar with this type of door will
probably know what I'm on about.

I intend motorising the door, and this will overcome the problem
because the motorised mechanism will hold the door back against the
springs okay. Meanwhile I am wondering if I have got something wrong
or is this just the way a door with front mounted springs works. I can
see that a door with a rear mounted spring option wouldn't have this
'feature'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"roundtuit" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Not an expert on this model - but it sounds like a tensioning problem. My
thinking is that a door needs to be working really well before you attempt
to motorise it. The motor will not like the dead weight of the door.

My Henderson can be lifted all the way with one finger - - well adjusted and
well lubricated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"roundtuit" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The end section usually does hang down a little. Make something to lock it
back with when it is fully open, that will also preclude an accidental close
on top of something!!

Mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks John and Mrcheerfull. The door is adjusted correctly as far as
I can tell. It is very easy to open and passes the one finger test!
Just that the top section of the door won't get as far as being
horizontal. Due to the springs winding back up once the door passes
the almost fully open point. It will go fully horizontal but not
without pushing against the force of the springs, but of course it
falls back to the almost open state as soon as you let go. I think
it's a design thing, or rather lack of! I guess when it is motorised
that the motor will pull it back that last couple of feet against the
spring, and due to the motor gearing it will hold it there.
Thanks again,