DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for information on how to 'backfill' a fireplace (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/188880-looking-information-how-backfill-fireplace.html)

Greystoke January 12th 07 08:05 AM

Looking for information on how to 'backfill' a fireplace

Hello all,

I have a victorian cast iron fireplace that I need to backfill, but
can't for the life of me find any information on how to do this. Does
anyone know of any websites or books that could point me in the right
direction?

Thanks in advance...

Dan January 12th 07 09:00 AM

Looking for information on how to 'backfill' a fireplace

Hi,

Just done this myself with vermiculite/micafil.

See http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/open..._fireplace.pdf for
more info.

Cheers
Dan

Greystoke January 12th 07 12:55 PM

Looking for information on how to 'backfill' a fireplace

Thanks Dan, looks like a good article. One question - did you use a
fireback, or just backfill against the fireplace directly?

Cheers,
Colin.

Richard Perkin January 13th 07 02:11 AM

Looking for information on how to 'backfill' a fireplace

"Greystoke" wrote in
ps.com:

I have a victorian cast iron fireplace that I need to backfill,
but can't for the life of me find any information on how to do
this. Does anyone know of any websites or books that could point
me in the right direction?

Browse this and nearby pages:
http://www.victorianfires.co.uk/fitt...st_iron_insert
_with_cast_iron_mantel.html

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Greystoke January 13th 07 09:59 AM

Looking for information on how to 'backfill' a fireplace

Thank you very much Richard - that is an excellent page !!

Richard Perkin wrote:
"Greystoke" wrote in
ps.com: