Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dishwasher softener problem

Hi,
I have a zanussi aquasave des-959 dishwasher,
I have a softener salt problem, the salt light came on so I put some more
salt in,
after the next wash the light still stayed on so I put tons more in,
now the light is still on AND everything has a salty taste to it !!!!

I dont know much about how the softener works other than it uses salt lol,
and theres aparently two chambers although I only remember seeing one there
is a large plastic upright tray with lots of water channels in it and 2
solenoids wich make a lot of noise.
although Im an electronics engineer, but I couldnt see anything other than
plastic tubes going to the tub with the salt in.

anyone got any ideas what it might be ?
I gues the easiest fix would to be syphon the salt out and use tablets with
softener/salt in them.

I had to delve into it once before as the drain pump impeller lost all its
fins,
I glued on some fiber glass fins but they came off too,
eventually I made up something out of tin wich wasnt fins but like a star
shape pastry cutter,
this seems to work fine and any debris that easily gets through the poorly
designed filters wont get jamed so hard it breaks stuff,
I also had to put some wire in a ring around it to further keep debris out.

ofc its possible I disturbed something else.

thanks
Colin =^.^=

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:06:31 GMT, "colin"
wrote:

I have a zanussi aquasave des-959 dishwasher,
I have a softener salt problem, the salt light came on so I put some more
salt in,
after the next wash the light still stayed on so I put tons more in,
now the light is still on AND everything has a salty taste to it !!!!

The most common cause of this is the top of the salt container where
you put the salt in springing a leak either because it isn't on
properly or the seal is damaged/missing.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a zanussi aquasave des-959 dishwasher,
I have a softener salt problem, the salt light came on so I put some more
salt in,
after the next wash the light still stayed on so I put tons more in,
now the light is still on AND everything has a salty taste to it !!!!

The most common cause of this is the top of the salt container where
you put the salt in springing a leak either because it isn't on
properly or the seal is damaged/missing.

Ive checked that seems to be on tight and seal is ok,
water did start to come out when I took the top off
wich it never used to though, thanks

Colin =^.^=