Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Loft Insulation ?

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:32:02 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"the_constructor" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

I was thinking of using the Space Blanket DIY Loft Insulation sold by B&Q,
Homebase and Focus. 200mm thick.

http://www.space-blanket.co.uk/movie.asp

I would like to know what peoples view on this are please and if anyone
has
used it did or have they come across any problems. I obviously don't want
fit it to find out that I have paid good money out for nothing.

Would i be better going for fibre glass blanket which is not protected or
something different.

It's just Rockwool in a plastic wrapping. Which is the main reason I
used it to top up my loft insulation. The silver face makes it a
little better, but not enough to be bothered with.

As to whether you are better going for a glass (or mineral) fibre
blanket which is not protected depends on the cost relative to how
much you want to avoid that all-pervasive itchy feeling.
--
Hugo Nebula

I was also wondering if the silver and plastic around the rockwool would
contirbute to condensation, as oposed to the rockwool just being laid by
itself
--
the_constructor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
[...]

IME the itchy thing has been a bit overstated. My son and I did his loft
recently and neither of us had any problems. Mask and marigold gloves
was all we used. We both forgot about that open bit above the buttons on
the shirtsleeves though

loft insulation Tricia UK diy 16 August 25th 06 01:07 PM
Loft insulation. soup UK diy 12 January 11th 06 10:13 AM
loft insulation Ron UK diy 0 September 15th 05 07:31 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
Loft insulation? Mogweed UK diy 26 March 30th 05 07:19 PM