Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling

Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a
bathroom?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a
bathroom?

Mitred tile trim is the only neat way. You may need masking tape to hold
it in place if your corners aren't perfectly square
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
John wrote:
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in
a bathroom?

Mitred tile trim is the only neat way. You may need masking tape to hold
it in place if your corners aren't perfectly square

Is that the stuff that has a radius and an edge that sticks under a row of
tiles? If so, I have bought some - is it best to put it under the wall
tiles - or the window recess tiles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
John wrote:
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess
in a bathroom?

Mitred tile trim is the only neat way. You may need masking tape to hold
it in place if your corners aren't perfectly square

It isn't the only way. You can also overlap the insides with the wall.
Make sure the cut edges are not visible tho. If they are natural stone
or edge glazed this is very effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:07:32 GMT, John wrote:

Is that the stuff that has a radius and an edge that sticks under a row
of tiles?

Probably but there are different types...

If so, I have bought some - is it best to put it under the wall tiles -
or the window recess tiles?

I've just done a recess with it under the recces tiles. This is so that
the face is flat. I had thin tiles and they fitted into the trim, leaving
a step. I felt that the action of wiping the walls down could snag on
this step and also force muck into the corner between tile and trim. With
the step facing into the recess if muck does accumulate your less likely
to see it and wiping is likely to be less vigourous across the trim being
more up/down.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in
a bathroom?

Mitred tile trim is the only neat way. You may need masking tape to hold
it in place if your corners aren't perfectly square

Is that the stuff that has a radius and an edge that sticks under a row of
tiles? If so, I have bought some - is it best to put it under the wall
tiles - or the window recess tiles?

That's the stuff. I don't think it matters which way the flat bit goes
as long as all 4 are the same. You're effectively framing the window
opening so nice tight mitres are the priority, even if you have to use a
bit more grout to make that possible
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a
bathroom?

I am about to experiment with cutting the tiles with a 45 degree edge, so
that they mitre together instead of showing a square edge.

I am a bit wary about creating sharp edges, but a combination of fine
abrasive paper and grout should hopefully do the trick.

We shall see ;-)

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:19:20 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

|"John" wrote in message
| Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a
| bathroom?
|

|I am about to experiment with cutting the tiles with a 45 degree edge, so
|that they mitre together instead of showing a square edge.
|
|I am a bit wary about creating sharp edges, but a combination of fine
|abrasive paper and grout should hopefully do the trick.
|
|We shall see ;-)

I really would not wish to fall against such an edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in
a bathroom?

Use the window as the 'centre' for the tiling on that wall. It's also
sometimes easier to adjust the ledge height and the position of the
reveals etc to avoid needing tiny strips of tiles. Purpose made beading
for the corners can look good especially in a contrasting colour - like
say chrome. Other thing to consider is, say, a hardwood sill if the
window features heavily.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|"John" wrote in message
| Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a
| bathroom?
|

|I am about to experiment with cutting the tiles with a 45 degree edge, so
|that they mitre together instead of showing a square edge.
|
|I am a bit wary about creating sharp edges, but a combination of fine
|abrasive paper and grout should hopefully do the trick.
|
|We shall see ;-)

I really would not wish to fall against such an edge.

Its not bad of you use abrasives to blend it off. It chips easily
though. I prefer to overlap.. I hate edgings. Muck collectors and ugly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a
bathroom?

I am about to experiment with cutting the tiles with a 45 degree edge, so
that they mitre together instead of showing a square edge.

That "experiment" has been done before. If the walls are perfectly flat,
and the mitres 100% perfect, it will be a razor edge. If not, it'll be
jagged AND look a mess.
Plastic edging is a godsend round windows because it allows you to
correct discrepancies and create straightness

I am a bit wary about creating sharp edges, but a combination of fine
abrasive paper and grout should hopefully do the trick.

We shall see ;-)

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:07:32 GMT, John wrote:

Is that the stuff that has a radius and an edge that sticks under a row
of tiles?

Probably but there are different types...

If so, I have bought some - is it best to put it under the wall tiles -
or the window recess tiles?

I've just done a recess with it under the recces tiles. This is so that
the face is flat. I had thin tiles and they fitted into the trim, leaving
a step. I felt that the action of wiping the walls down could snag on
this step and also force muck into the corner between tile and trim. With
the step facing into the recess if muck does accumulate your less likely
to see it and wiping is likely to be less vigourous across the trim being
more up/down.

You could build up with adhesive or cement/sand so that there is no
step. Also, I make sure the concave section of the trim is mostly
filled in with tile adhesive, since you see a lot of bathrooms where
the grout around the trim has caved in, presumably since there was
empty space left in there.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Or get the right size trim :-)

Tiling Leo Home Repair 3 December 6th 06 04:08 AM
Tiling John UK diy 4 October 2nd 06 04:40 PM
New to Tiling GeorgeH Home Repair 0 February 27th 06 04:19 AM
Tiling ? Richard UK diy 3 December 6th 04 06:26 PM
Tiling HELP nillybum UK diy 3 November 24th 04 08:19 PM