Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smoke Alarm Batteries

Need a new battery (PP3) and saw in Aldi, a choice of;

Alkaline £1.49
Rechargeable £1.99

Are rechargeable's NOT to be used in Smoke Alarms.

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(paul wrote:
Need a new battery (PP3) and saw in Aldi, a choice of;

Alkaline ?1.49
Rechargeable ?1.99

Are rechargeable's NOT to be used in Smoke Alarms.

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

Personally - I got
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/100809 - and keep
the spares in the fridge.
These will be fine for a smoke alarm - and have a 4 fold or so longer
shelf life in the fridge.

Rechargables are not especially good in low drain applications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul S (Paul wrote:
Need a new battery (PP3) and saw in Aldi, a choice of;

Alkaline £1.49
Rechargeable £1.99

Are rechargeable's NOT to be used in Smoke Alarms.

Not recommended as they self discharge too quickly.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Paul S wrote:
Need a new battery (PP3) and saw in Aldi, a choice of;

Alkaline £1.49
Rechargeable £1.99

Are rechargeable's NOT to be used in Smoke Alarms.

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

Personally I find the nuisance of being woken in the middle of the night
by a failing battery more of a problem than the cost of a new one. So I
go for the 10-year lithium battery type of detector (£14.18 from CPC).

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Personally I find the nuisance of being woken in the middle of the night
by a failing battery more of a problem than the cost of a new one. So I
go for the 10-year lithium battery type of detector (£14.18 from CPC).

I came to the same conclusion but was surprised to find that when I got
a lithium 9v battery ( can't remember the brand now, but there aren't
many ) it wouldn't fit. When I compared it to a Duracell, it was
scarcely one mm or so bigger.

In most equipment that wouldn't have mattered, but with this particular
device it couldn't be made to fit because the tolerances were too tight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul S" wrote in message
Need a new battery (PP3) and saw in Aldi, a choice of;

Alkaline £1.49
Rechargeable £1.99

Are rechargeable's NOT to be used in Smoke Alarms.

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

I have 3 smoke alarms bought from Screwfix. I use good alkaline batteries
(not Duracell), and find that they last little more than 1 year. If
Duracell's "blurb" is genuine, their batteries still won't last more than 18
months.
Perhaps other smoke alarms are more economical?
I buy my batteries from Poundland; they sell Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Maxell,
etc... Such batteries have now a 5 year shelf life.
£1.00 buys a pack of 4.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:09:13 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

I have 3 smoke alarms bought from Screwfix. I use good alkaline batteries
(not Duracell), and find that they last little more than 1 year. If
Duracell's "blurb" is genuine, their batteries still won't last more than 18
months.
Perhaps other smoke alarms are more economical?

I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them once a
year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can be fairly
sure it's done.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Dec 2006 00:11:05 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them once a
year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can be fairly
sure it's done.

Those born on the 29th February and following your advice are well and
truly knackered though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

I have 3 smoke alarms bought from Screwfix. I use good alkaline batteries
(not Duracell), and find that they last little more than 1 year. If
Duracell's "blurb" is genuine, their batteries still won't last more than
18
months.
Perhaps other smoke alarms are more economical?

I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them once a
year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can be fairly
sure it's done.

Use more than one smoke alarm and change them at different times of the
year.
You don't want them all going flat at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:47:43 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

|"Bob Eager" wrote in message
| On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:09:13 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
| wrote:
|
| Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
| smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?
|
| I have 3 smoke alarms bought from Screwfix. I use good alkaline batteries
| (not Duracell), and find that they last little more than 1 year. If
| Duracell's "blurb" is genuine, their batteries still won't last more than
| 18
| months.
| Perhaps other smoke alarms are more economical?
|
| I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
| work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them once a
| year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can be fairly
| sure it's done.
|
|Use more than one smoke alarm and change them at different times of the
|year.
|You don't want them all going flat at the same time.

They have an irritating beep when the battery is nearly flat.
Also I check mine every time the local BBC news says "if this house had
been fitted with smoke alarms ??? people would not have died. I also have
a stock of at least one PP9 battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes writes:
In uk.d-i-y, Paul S wrote:
Need a new battery (PP3) and saw in Aldi, a choice of;

Alkaline £1.49
Rechargeable £1.99

Are rechargeable's NOT to be used in Smoke Alarms.

Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in a
smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?

Personally I find the nuisance of being woken in the middle of the night
by a failing battery more of a problem than the cost of a new one. So I
go for the 10-year lithium battery type of detector (£14.18 from CPC).

I run mine each through one of these from the 12V alarm supply:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?sku=SR00543
which I just noticed is no longer stocked, although you might find
it somewhere else. Also has a set of relay contacts which you can
connect up to one of the alarm zones.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|"Bob Eager" wrote in message
| On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:09:13 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
| wrote:
|
| Also, read somewhere that a Duracell Ultra PP3 will last 4 years in
| smoke alarm, and might be cheapest in the long run. Opinions ?
|
| I have 3 smoke alarms bought from Screwfix. I use good alkaline
batteries
| (not Duracell), and find that they last little more than 1 year. If
| Duracell's "blurb" is genuine, their batteries still won't last more
than
| 18
| months.
| Perhaps other smoke alarms are more economical?
|
| I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
| work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them once
| year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can be fairly
| sure it's done.
|
|Use more than one smoke alarm and change them at different times of the
|year.
|You don't want them all going flat at the same time.

They have an irritating beep when the battery is nearly flat.

A damn nuisance, but a very essential one.

Also I check mine every time the local BBC news says "if this house had
been fitted with smoke alarms ??? people would not have died.

Why are so many people so damn stupid. Why won't they spend a little time
and money on something that may one day save their lives?

I also have a stock of at least one PP9 battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
| work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them
| once a year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can
| be fairly sure it's done.
|
|Use more than one smoke alarm and change them at different times of the
| year. You don't want them all going flat at the same time.

They have an irritating beep when the battery is nearly flat. Also I
check mine every time the local BBC news says "if this house had been
fitted with smoke alarms ??? people would not have died. I also have a
stock of at least one PP9 battery.

And a hammer to make it fit?

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:40:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

|In article ,
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
| | work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them
| | once a year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can
| | be fairly sure it's done.
| |
| |Use more than one smoke alarm and change them at different times of the
| | year. You don't want them all going flat at the same time.
|
| They have an irritating beep when the battery is nearly flat. Also I
| check mine every time the local BBC news says "if this house had been
| fitted with smoke alarms ??? people would not have died. I also have a
| stock of at least one PP9 battery.
|
|And a hammer to make it fit?

Que? My three all run on PP9s no problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:47:43 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them once a
year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can be fairly
sure it's done.

Use more than one smoke alarm and change them at different times of the
year.
You don't want them all going flat at the same time.

Agreed. I use batteries with a rated life well in excess of a year. It's
worth it.

(every smoke alarm is important, even if I do use more than one)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:16:59 UTC, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Que? My three all run on PP9s no problems.

Doesn't the battery weight pull them off the ceiling? :-)
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|In article ,
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| | I don't want my smoke alarm to be economical as much as I want it to
| | work! Duracell ProCells are about a pound each, and I change them
| | once a year; old tip, change them on your birthday and then you can
| | be fairly sure it's done.
| |

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_pp9.htm

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| They have an irritating beep when the battery is nearly flat. Also I
| check mine every time the local BBC news says "if this house had been
| fitted with smoke alarms ??? people would not have died. I also have a
| stock of at least one PP9 battery.
|
|And a hammer to make it fit?

Que? My three all run on PP9s no problems.

I presume you mean a PP3? A PP9 is the 'half brick' sized type once common
on portable radios. It would be silly for smoke alarm use as it would just
last its shelf life.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *