Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default using polyfilla around a rawlplug

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:23:30 +0000, Bruce
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:53:33 +0000, Bruce
wrote:

Keith Willcocks wrote:
A few years ago we took a train trip across Canada and fell in with a group
of Americans. By the end of the trip I had them calling the railroad: the
railway, switches: points and ties: sleepers. Oh and the engineer was the
engine driver.
And Americans drive on the parkway whereas we park on the driveway.

Except on the Garden State Parkway, where you're actually
parked, just wishing you were driving.

Sounds very much like the M25 around London - often referred to as
largest car park in the UK

Is that the one with the interchange described in
the book _good_omens_ as "a prayer wheel to satan"?
(or maybe that was _sympathy_for_the_devil_..)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 2006-12-20 17:35:04 +0000, The Natural Philosopher said:

Keith Willcocks wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The last of these is regional: in some parts of the USA they are all
"coke," in others all "soda," and in yet others all "pop."
Unless you're in Boston (bah-stun), in which case the generic word is
tonic (tah-nik). Don't ask me why. At least that's how it was 30 years
ago when I lived there.

And when I was in Boston this summer, every time I asked for Scotch and
Tonic they gave me Scotch and Soda (which I dislike intensely).

When I returnee from Johannesburg with a Girlfriend in tow..she went
into the pub and asked for a Gin and Tonic "And can you put a little
arse in that?"

Strange looks all round.

Yiss. Nahdays all the pubs are full of people from Jo'burg - usuallee
working behand the bah and asking
which kahnd of stahch yoo want with your lunch. Is it.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

What is a rawlplug?

Originally a fibre plug, inserted into a drilled hole in brickwork to allow
a screw to be screwed in. Rawlplug is/was a trade name
- but is now used generically for any such plug. Modern plugs are made of
plastic.

Gotcha. We use the same things here, but I have no idea what they're called.

Anchors

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail