Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor paint

Hi,

I am trying to create a garage floor which both looks good and is
water/oil repellant. I did apply a coat of THOMPSONS ONE COAT CONCRETE
SEAL, which contains solvent naphtha, 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene. Now
someone has scared me that I cannot floor paint over this surface as it
may contain sulphur. Is this correct. Please guide and suggest some
good floor paints.

Thanking you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrHoo wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to create a garage floor which both looks good and is
water/oil repellant. I did apply a coat of THOMPSONS ONE COAT CONCRETE
SEAL, which contains solvent naphtha, 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene. Now
someone has scared me that I cannot floor paint over this surface as it
may contain sulphur. Is this correct. Please guide and suggest some
good floor paints.

Thanking you

With respect it is a bit late to ask this question now. Concrete
sealers do just that. They seal the concrete. It is unlikely that you
will be able to overcoat this with any floor paint/Epoxy coating etc.
Whatever you put on will not adhere to the substrate. It is not the
sulphur that is the problem it is the lack of mechanical grip.

Floor paints/coatings on Watco website but check with them first about
the concrete seal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Dec 2006 05:49:25 -0800, "DrHoo" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a garage floor which both looks good and is
water/oil repellant. I did apply a coat of THOMPSONS ONE COAT CONCRETE
SEAL, which contains solvent naphtha, 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene. Now
someone has scared me that I cannot floor paint over this surface as it
may contain sulphur. Is this correct. Please guide and suggest some
good floor paints.

Ring Crown (01254 870189, ask for technical) - the tin of Epimac that
I have in my garage doesn't say anything about not going on sealed
floors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote:
On 6 Dec 2006 05:49:25 -0800, "DrHoo" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a garage floor which both looks good and is
water/oil repellant. I did apply a coat of THOMPSONS ONE COAT CONCRETE
SEAL, which contains solvent naphtha, 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene. Now
someone has scared me that I cannot floor paint over this surface as it
may contain sulphur. Is this correct. Please guide and suggest some
good floor paints.

Ring Crown (01254 870189, ask for technical) - the tin of Epimac that
I have in my garage doesn't say anything about not going on sealed
floors.

Maybe a little off topic, but if anyone needs a cheap, clear sealer for
untreated concrete then PVA glue works quite well. A gallon of PVA is
less than a tenner from a builders supplier, dilute it in a bucket of
water, about 5 to 1 and brush it on with a floor brush.
If you arrive on a motorbike with wet tyres, it's a lot less slippy
than floor paint too. (voice of experience!)
AL

Recommend a floor paint - grotty timber interior floor & stairs. spacky_packy UK diy 2 August 2nd 06 09:01 PM
Floor sanders - can they remove floor paint? [email protected] UK diy 9 August 15th 05 07:21 PM
Garage floor paint ? Dave UK diy 8 June 8th 05 04:53 PM
Garage floor epoxy paint Walter Cohen Home Ownership 13 April 14th 05 02:18 PM
Floor paint neil leslie UK diy 2 September 6th 04 09:45 AM