Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler programmer problem

Hi, would like to know if my programmer is shot or not. The screen just
went blank today and I can't get it to do anything. It's a Potterton EP
4001 and it's connected to a combi boiler. The hot water works, but no
central heating. I can't seem to see how the face comes off the
programmer either. Can anyone help please as the house is cold and we
have a 8 month old to keep warm?

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec 2006 11:41:30 -0800 someone who may be "Eagleye"
wrote this:-

Hi, would like to know if my programmer is shot or not. The screen just
went blank today and I can't get it to do anything. It's a Potterton EP
4001 and it's connected to a combi boiler.

Does it have a battery? If so, has it gone flat and does that
prevent it working? If not it is probably broken, electronic ones
tend to go like that.

Can anyone help please as the house is cold and we
have a 8 month old to keep warm?

It should be possible to temporarily bypass the programmer by wiring
the appropriate wires to a switch, or even an old mechanical time
clock in your "might be useful sometime" box. If you don't have a
wiring diagram and instructions you should be able to download one
from somewhere.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Eagleye writes
Hi, would like to know if my programmer is shot or not. The screen just
went blank today and I can't get it to do anything. It's a Potterton EP
4001 and it's connected to a combi boiler. The hot water works, but no
central heating. I can't seem to see how the face comes off the
programmer either. Can anyone help please as the house is cold and we
have a 8 month old to keep warm?

Try changing the battery

There is a clip on the underside of the programmer which you push in
with a screwdriver and the programmer rotates upwards and can be removed
from the backplate.

Most of these programmers use a 3.6v NiCd oval button cell which can
just be removed from the spring contacts - some of the new ones are
internal

--
geoff