Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can he know that?

I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SirBenjamin wrote:
I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

The lamps have scheduled change times.
They should generally not be left till they stop working, as they can
explode.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SirBenjamin" wrote in message
I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

Because some have little integral (mercury?) meters that track usage.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SirBenjamin" wrote in message
I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

Thanks.

Our projectors at work have a lamp timer function in them.
They start to nag you as the expected lifetime comes near.

If you go to the service menu, you can see how may hours they have used, how
many remain, set the
number-of-hours-remaining-before-I-nag-the-hell-out-of-you etc etc.

All depends on the timer being re-set truthfully when the lamp is replaced
with a new one, though! Nothing to stop an unscrupilous seller from
re-seting the lamp timers without changing the lamp.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:09:29 -0000, "Ron Lowe"
wrote:

"SirBenjamin" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

Thanks.

Our projectors at work have a lamp timer function in them.
They start to nag you as the expected lifetime comes near.

If you go to the service menu, you can see how may hours they have used, how
many remain, set the
number-of-hours-remaining-before-I-nag-the-hell-out-of-you etc etc.

All depends on the timer being re-set truthfully when the lamp is replaced
with a new one, though! Nothing to stop an unscrupilous seller from
re-seting the lamp timers without changing the lamp.

Hah! thanks Ron,didn't know that as this is a new field this DP lark.

So basically I could end up with 20 hours? instead of 700. ;-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"SirBenjamin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, yes, in theory you could.

I'd be more suspicious if they all had 2000 hours ( or whatever the nominal
lamp life is ) remaining.
To get the numbers you quote, they'd need to re-set them and then burn them
for some hundreds of hours. I doubt they'd do that just to make the numbers
'more beleivable', at the risk of actually killing the thing stone dead.

I'd be inclined to believe the hours.

However, we often have lamps that fail in one way or another before they are
at their nominal life. Some go so dim they are un-useable. Some melt into
wierd and wonderful shapes, making replacement difficult. It's a bit of a
lottery.

For reference, what I'm using at work is a bunch of approx. 3-yr old Sony
VPL-21 projectors.
( I work as a technical instructor in the training school for an oil service
company. We have several classrooms in the training centre, with these
things ceiling mounted. They get a hard life. )

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SirBenjamin wrote:

I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

Thanks.

I believe the lamps cost an arm and a leg or two to replace. Have you
considered this?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
SirBenjamin wrote:

I bought a Data Projector of ebay last week,the guy had three of them
all secondhand.
He stated individually on each of them that the lamp had 700,850 and
1500 hours to go.

How can he know this?

Thanks.

I believe the lamps cost an arm and a leg or two to replace. Have you
considered this?

Dave

George has many, many arms and legs