Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lobster versus the washing machine's heating element

Having spent the best part of the day, or so it seems, removing a stray
bra wire from in between the drum and the outer - which apparently
necessitated demolishing the entire machine - I'm stuck with the
reassembly.

Had to remove the heater element to get at it; I can't get it back in
again though. It's this large rubber bush around the two prongs of the
element - I have to insert it into the hole, then pull it back to seal
the sump from the inside, but at the same time pushing the prongs
*inwards* through the bush. Just can't do it; I've now given up for the
night.

Any tips on how-to-do-it from someone who's been there, done that and
got the t-shirt?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:43:11 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Having spent the best part of the day, or so it seems, removing a stray
bra wire from in between the drum and the outer - which apparently
necessitated demolishing the entire machine - I'm stuck with the
reassembly.

Had to remove the heater element to get at it; I can't get it back in
again though. It's this large rubber bush around the two prongs of the
element - I have to insert it into the hole, then pull it back to seal the
sump from the inside, but at the same time pushing the prongs *inwards*
through the bush. Just can't do it; I've now given up for the night.

Any tips on how-to-do-it from someone who's been there, done that and got
the t-shirt?

Thanks
David

================================
Is there a groove in the rubber bush? If so you might be able to get a
piece of strong string into the groove to serve as a pulling tool rather
like fitting an old-style car windscreen rubber.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

No, unfortunately not: it has a slightly smaller cross-section where it
goes in the hole, ie a slight shoulder bears against the inside face of
the sump.

(I didn't mention that there's another component; a metal plate on the
inside with a bolt which protrudes out through the body of the element,
between the terminals, and a nut is applied to hold the assembly
together - hard to explain but any t-shirt wearers will know what I mean!)

Thanks
David
_

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 23:49:08 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

(I didn't mention that there's another component; a metal plate on the
inside with a bolt which protrudes out through the body of the element,
between the terminals, and a nut is applied to hold the assembly
together - hard to explain but any t-shirt wearers will know what I mean!)

You didn't mention the make....

Some of the elements (e.g. on our Hotpoint) require that nut to be
loose. You fit element, bush and all intto the hole. Then the nut is
tightened to compress the rubber bush, spreading it out on both inside
and outside of hole (mainly the inside). Try loosening the nut, fitting
the bush, inserting all in hole and tightening the nut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having recently discovered a web page explaining how to cook salmon in a
dishwasher, I naturally expected to find further seafood gastronomy ideas in
this thread.

I am very disappointed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

(I didn't mention that there's another component; a metal plate on the
inside with a bolt which protrudes out through the body of the element,
between the terminals, and a nut is applied to hold the assembly
together - hard to explain but any t-shirt wearers will know what I mean!)

You didn't mention the make....

Sorry yes: Hotpoint

Some of the elements (e.g. on our Hotpoint) require that nut to be
loose. You fit element, bush and all intto the hole. Then the nut is
tightened to compress the rubber bush, spreading it out on both inside
and outside of hole (mainly the inside). Try loosening the nut, fitting
the bush, inserting all in hole and tightening the nut.

That's it!!!!

Might seem a bit obvious with hindsight: having had all the components
come out one at a time I'd been trying to reassemble them that way -
positioning the bush first, then introducing the metal plate (from the
back) and finally the nut (from the front).

Machine is now back in business (the main issue was not the bra wire,
but actually a broken suspension strut which required ordering up and
fitting) and starting to process about 2 weeks' worth of washing.

And SWMBO is back on speaking terms with me (although disdainfully
pointing out that if I had taken on my usual paid work for the time
spent repairing the thing, I could have almost bought a brand new
machine. Still trying to thing up a witty retort to that one...)

Many thanks Bob
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes

Machine is now back in business (the main issue was not the bra wire,
but actually a broken suspension strut which required ordering up and
fitting) and starting to process about 2 weeks' worth of washing.

And the underwire is not a suspension strut?

And SWMBO is back on speaking terms with me (although disdainfully
pointing out that if I had taken on my usual paid work for the time
spent repairing the thing, I could have almost bought a brand new
machine. Still trying to thing up a witty retort to that one...)

Try:
1. Shut the f*ck up biatch (my favourite snappy comeback)
2. But darling, think of the environment, I have saved countless energy
resources by resurrecting the faithful machine to it's former glory and
saving further additions to the landfill mountain (not sure whether that
would get you a bigger or smaller slap than the first).
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pyriform wrote:
Having recently discovered a web page explaining how to cook salmon in a
dishwasher, I naturally expected to find further seafood gastronomy ideas in
this thread.

I am very disappointed.

Got a URL for the salmon cooking site?

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Pyriform wrote:
Having recently discovered a web page explaining how to cook salmon
in a dishwasher, I naturally expected to find further seafood
gastronomy ideas in this thread.

I am very disappointed.

Got a URL for the salmon cooking site?

Many and various. Google is your friend.

However, here's a good starting point:

http://www.surrealgourmet.com/html/recipes/salmon.html

I like the idea of leveraging my domestic appliances to increase their
utility. I've recently been looking into combining my pressure washer and
air compressor into a snow-making machine. Damn the lack of cold nights!