Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unreliable Worcester Bosch Highflow 400's x 2

Hi there

I have 2 Worcester Bosch Higflow 400's in 2 rented houses which have
been an absolute nightmare. Both boilers were new about 4 years ago
and in that time I have had perhaps 10 breakdowns on each boiler.

Research on "the net" reveals reliability problems with that model and
it seems they are very sensitive to any rubbish at all in the central
heating system. My boilers were installed on clean (new) systems of
HEP2O pipe and new radiators and the system was well flushed proir to
installation

It seems the diverter valve often goes wrong and there is a little 1
way non return valve which often sticks. The plate heat exchanger has
been removed and descaled at least once on one boiler and the high
temperature trips have often "popped out" even when brand new on both
(these trips are not counted as a breakdown in my statistics!!)

There is also little plastic filter (on the heatbank?) which clogs and
even the electronic timer clocks have gone wrong once on each boiler.
Why should an electronic timer go wrong for goodness sake?

I'd apprecaire replies on 2 things

1. Any experiences you have had on this Worcester model (only) I know
Worcester generally are supposed to be good for reliability

2. Comments on my plan is to install a stainless steel Megaflo (or
similar pressurised tank like the Telford stainless tanks) asap to
supply hot water and junk the Highflows for a system boiler when the
tenants move out next summer. I know this "stored water solution" is a
better solution for me purposes as I have used it in other properties.
One huge advantage is that the immersion heater can be turned on as a
"back up" as boilers will always break down every so often.

Ideally I would like to convert the Highflows to a boiler which is
stuck in "heating mode" but the electronics apparently go into a
routine (even if the hot water is off) which instructs the boiler to
fill up the storage tank with hot water when first turned on.

I'll install an external 2 port valve and S plan or Y plan to heat the
megaflo

Can anybody suggest a clever way to rewire or fool the boiler to think
the hot water tank is up to temperature so it could be used as a
conventional boiler? (ie change the sensing thermister for a fixed
value resisitor or something?)

Thanks for any help - Lightman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 03:35:35 -0800, Lightman wrote:

1. Any experiences you have had on this Worcester model (only) I know
Worcester generally are supposed to be good for reliability

2. Comments on my plan is to install a stainless steel Megaflo (or
similar

Sorry can't help with 1, but if you're DIYing remember unvented are
notifiable and need annual servicing to ensure safety so I'd suggest
thermal store/heat banks instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had one of these highflow 400's fitted 3 1/2 years ago. Worked fine
until 2 weeks ago, until I noticed water coming through the kitchen
ceiling.
the Highflow upstairs had sprung a leak on the plate exchanger. Called
a service engineer out from Worcester Bosch (no one else would touch
it(not even the company who installed it) on one of their repair
plans.
Cost a set fee of £245 due to a new plate exchanger being fitted. Also
changed were a diverter valve (supposedly sticking), a braided hose to
the pressure vessel and a pressure valve.
The fault I was told was caused by the braided hose becoming blocked
with sludge, which in turn caused the other problems.
On checking the braided hose later, looks more as though it has
collapsed internally as there seems to be a kink in it.

The system had been cleaned prior to fitting the boiler

I currently have Fernox super concentrate restorer circulting around
the system, due to be drained out later this week..

On 26 Nov 2006 03:35:35 -0800, "Lightman"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:00:12 GMT Jack wrote :
The fault I was told was caused by the braided hose becoming
blocked with sludge, which in turn caused the other problems.
On checking the braided hose later, looks more as though it has
collapsed internally as there seems to be a kink in it.

The system had been cleaned prior to fitting the boiler

I currently have Fernox super concentrate restorer circulting
around the system, due to be drained out later this week..

You might consider installing a Magnaclean - traps a lot of crud
but unlike a filter doesn't clog up

Worcester Bosch Combi Pete UK diy 7 November 13th 06 08:36 PM
Worcester Highflow 4.5 Boiler Dave Long UK diy 0 March 19th 06 10:41 AM
Worcester Highflow 400, pressure Steve7474 UK diy 0 October 15th 05 09:43 PM
Which Worcester-Bosch Combi? Lobster UK diy 12 August 18th 05 10:07 AM
Worcester-Bosch Controllers Stattman UK diy 0 August 17th 05 10:57 PM