Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator fault

Hi

I have two radiators in my house that stop heating up after the first
few uses of the winter, which has happened for the last couple of
years.

We started using our central heating again about a month ago after not
using for approx 4 months during the summer. All radiatiors were
perfect on the first few uses but now our hall and dining room radiator
have no heat at all.

They are not directly connected and the pipe to the hall radiator is
hot until half way down when it turns cold.

I`ve tried bleeding them but it makes no difference.

Every other radiator in the house is working perfectly and all are
running from a Ferroli combi-boiler which is about 4 years old.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Regards

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi

I have two radiators in my house that stop heating up after the first
few uses of the winter, which has happened for the last couple of
years.

We started using our central heating again about a month ago after not
using for approx 4 months during the summer. All radiatiors were
perfect on the first few uses but now our hall and dining room radiator
have no heat at all.

They are not directly connected and the pipe to the hall radiator is
hot until half way down when it turns cold.

I`ve tried bleeding them but it makes no difference.

Every other radiator in the house is working perfectly and all are
running from a Ferroli combi-boiler which is about 4 years old.

I don't know about pressurised systems, so this might not all apply. Sludge
in the rads or pipes might cause these problems but assuming the system was
re-filled and inhibitor added 4 years ago then this seems unlikely. Have any
of the lock shield valves been turned off or on; this might unbalance the
whole system. Have the 2 non-working rads got TRVs? Sometimes the pins
stick. You could try turning all the rad control valves off, then turn the
control valve on for one of the non-working rads, then the other, to see if
they both get hot on their own. This might clear trapped air and confirm
they are not blocked. If the 2 troublesome rads get hot on their own, turn
the rest of the control valves on and see if all the rads get hot. If you
still have problems it might be worth getting an infrared thermometer (you
can get one for about 20GBP) and balancing the rads. That would confirm or
exclude that as the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for that. I will try all you mentioned and hopefully get
to the rrot of the problems.

Thanks again.

Regards

Phil