DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/183117-stainless-steel-what-grit-take-out-scratches.html)

Staffbull November 18th 06 11:13 PM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to all
makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

VisionSet November 18th 06 11:39 PM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to all
makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

I'd have thought 800-1000 wouldn't be too far off the mark for the brushed
effect.

--
Mike W

Staffbull November 19th 06 12:02 AM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

visionset wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to all
makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

I'd have thought 800-1000 wouldn't be too far off the mark for the brushed
effect.

--
Mike W

Cheers, hlafords it is tomorrow :-)

The Medway Handyman November 19th 06 02:16 AM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

visionset wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to
all makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

I'd have thought 800-1000 wouldn't be too far off the mark for the
brushed effect.

Agreed, but the only way to achieve a perfect smear free finish on stainless
steel afterwards is Johnsons Baby Oil. Strange but true.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The Natural Philosopher November 19th 06 02:58 AM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

Staffbull wrote:
visionset wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to all
makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

I'd have thought 800-1000 wouldn't be too far off the mark for the brushed
effect.

--
Mike W

Cheers, hlafords it is tomorrow :-)

T-cut ain't bad either...to get it shiny before you cut back the brushing.

Stuart November 19th 06 12:25 PM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:16:51 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

visionset wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to
all makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

I'd have thought 800-1000 wouldn't be too far off the mark for the
brushed effect.

Agreed, but the only way to achieve a perfect smear free finish on stainless
steel afterwards is Johnsons Baby Oil. Strange but true.

I can second that .A little on cotton wool pad .

Matt November 19th 06 08:31 PM

stainless steel - what grit to take out scratches

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:16:51 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

visionset wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know which grit paper I need to get some scratches out of the
extractor hood we have ? they all seem to have the same "grain" to
all makes used in kitchen bits'n bobs

I'd have thought 800-1000 wouldn't be too far off the mark for the
brushed effect.

Agreed, but the only way to achieve a perfect smear free finish on stainless
steel afterwards is Johnsons Baby Oil. Strange but true.

It might work but saying its the "only way" is the kind of crap Dr
Dribble comes out with!