Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Is this typical under floorboards ?

I've just had to cut out and replace a section of chipboard type
floorboarding that had started cracking up and pulling away the T&G (for
some reason the join line was not ON the joists, but just off them. On
cutting out the failing section I found that the floorjoists had a crossed
couple of battens between them.
http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Is this typical for upstairs in a 1980's house?

OG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , OG
writes
I've just had to cut out and replace a section of chipboard type
floorboarding that had started cracking up and pulling away the T&G (for
some reason the join line was not ON the joists, but just off them. On
cutting out the failing section I found that the floorjoists had a crossed
couple of battens between them.
http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Is this typical for upstairs in a 1980's house?

Yep! I've got similar in my 1985 house.

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
OG wrote:
I've just had to cut out and replace a section of chipboard type
floorboarding that had started cracking up and pulling away the T&G (for
some reason the join line was not ON the joists, but just off them. On
cutting out the failing section I found that the floorjoists had a
crossed couple of battens between them.
http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Is this typical for upstairs in a 1980's house?

Typical full stop. They're called twisters. They help prevent the joists
warping.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:51:37 -0000, OG wrote:

Is this typical for upstairs in a 1980's house?

Yes, they are to stop the long, deep but relatively thin joists
waving/moving about.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message
I've just had to cut out and replace a section of chipboard type
floorboarding that had started cracking up and pulling away the T&G (for
some reason the join line was not ON the joists, but just off them. On
cutting out the failing section I found that the floorjoists had a crossed
couple of battens between them.
http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Difficult to judge the scale but that looks like a heck of a deep void. Mine
are only 4". I suppose it is dependent on the spans, my max is ~11ft in a
1930's house.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
In message , OG
writes
I've just had to cut out and replace a section of chipboard type
floorboarding that had started cracking up and pulling away the T&G (for
some reason the join line was not ON the joists, but just off them. On
cutting out the failing section I found that the floorjoists had a
crossed
couple of battens between them.
http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Is this typical for upstairs in a 1980's house?

Yep! I've got similar in my 1985 house.

One hopes so, as it leads to a substantially stiffer floor.

Did the chip get damp or what? Unusual to have it go...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"visionset" wrote in message

"OG" wrote in message
I've just had to cut out and replace a section of chipboard type
floorboarding that had started cracking up and pulling away the T&G (for
some reason the join line was not ON the joists, but just off them. On
cutting out the failing section I found that the floorjoists had a
crossed couple of battens between them.
http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Difficult to judge the scale but that looks like a heck of a deep void.
Mine are only 4". I suppose it is dependent on the spans, my max is ~11ft
in a 1930's house.

Are you sure its a house and not a bungalow that someone has converted the
attic?
4" is not deep enough for floor joists over 11' imho

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
.uk...

http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Difficult to judge the scale but that looks like a heck of a deep void.
Mine are only 4". I suppose it is dependent on the spans, my max is
~11ft in a 1930's house.

Are you sure its a house and not a bungalow that someone has converted the
attic?
4" is not deep enough for floor joists over 11' imho

Well 70 odd years must say something, that and the other identical 100 odd
houses built the same way.
Obviously building standards have come on some but I'd say it was adequate.
The one real design flaw is the cold bridge concrete sills downstairs.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Paul Giverin wrote:

Did the chip get damp or what? Unusual to have it go...

I think its a combination of
[1] 'over bed cupboards' that means we step down off the bed more often
[2] significantly increased weight for both mr and mrs over last 20 years
(esp mr!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

40 years in the trade ,have seen some crap building but never seen a 4x2
floor joist,loft joist yes , floor would be like a spring board and over 70
years would expect it to fail by now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
.uk...

http://www.astd60.dsl.pipex.com/UnderFloor.jpg

Difficult to judge the scale but that looks like a heck of a deep void.
Mine are only 4". I suppose it is dependent on the spans, my max is
~11ft in a 1930's house.

Are you sure its a house and not a bungalow that someone has converted the
attic?
4" is not deep enough for floor joists over 11' imho

Well 70 odd years must say something, that and the other identical 100 odd
houses built the same way.
Obviously building standards have come on some but I'd say it was adequate.
The one real design flaw is the cold bridge concrete sills downstairs.

4x2 over 11ft is workable, though only just. Just dont ever get a piano
or waterbed in there! And dont do jumping exercises. Should never have
been built that light, but there ya go. For all we know the 2x4 may
have been stiffened a bit by noggins.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:53:25 -0000, Alex wrote:

40 years in the trade ,have seen some crap building but never seen a
4x2 floor joist,loft joist yes , floor would be like a spring board and
over 70 years would expect it to fail by now

Depends a bit on the spacing and the tickness of the, not doubt, real
floor boards attached to the top. 4x2 at 9" spacing with good solid 1"
thick T&G floorboards, double angle nailed at every crossing would make a
fairly firm floor.

4x2 at modern 18" spacing with thick cornflake packet sheets for flooring
attached on an 18" grid would be just a tad springy... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:53:25 -0000, Alex wrote:

40 years in the trade ,have seen some crap building but never seen a
4x2 floor joist,loft joist yes , floor would be like a spring board and
over 70 years would expect it to fail by now

Depends a bit on the spacing and the tickness of the, not doubt, real
floor boards attached to the top. 4x2 at 9" spacing with good solid 1"
thick T&G floorboards, double angle nailed at every crossing would make a
fairly firm floor.

4x2 at modern 18" spacing with thick cornflake packet sheets for flooring
attached on an 18" grid would be just a tad springy... B-)

Ah. I have 8x2 oak on its SIDE here..and yes, over 3 meters its springy
all right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alex" wrote in message
40 years in the trade ,have seen some crap building but never seen a 4x2
floor joist,loft joist yes , floor would be like a spring board and over
70 years would expect it to fail by now

Ho ho ho, my mistake it is 7" - amazing how you (I) misremember dimensions,
and by nearly 100%

7" on the 1st floor
4" on the ground with soldier walls making max span ~6ft

Good to keep you on your toes!
--
Mike W

Solid wood floor on top of floorboards JustMe UK diy 6 September 17th 06 02:03 PM
Laying new floorboards Sean UK diy 10 April 5th 06 10:37 PM
Sanding floorboards - how to replace damaged boards [email protected] UK diy 7 January 25th 06 10:09 AM
lifting and relaying old floorboards jack UK diy 4 August 21st 04 11:30 AM