Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rude awakening

Woke by phone ringing at 9AM....tennant: 'water ****ing through my living
room ceiling'
me: 'is it dripping or running'?
- 'it's running'
I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in ten
mins.
putting shoes on and phone goes again, 'I can't turn the tap, it's too
stiff'...
I got there and turned it off, checked the bedroom above nd there was a
likely suspect - a floorboard sunk in below the carpet, 'how long has it
been like that?'
tennant: 'five years'
'hmmmmm' thought I....
I lifted the carpet and board and there were two CH pipes both with 90 deg
bends...I could hear it but couldn't see it...further investigation found a
small leak about a foot away from the bend - the pipes had been bouncing
each time they were walked over and a bent nail in the side of a joist had
sliced a small groove into the hot pipe....one plastic striaght connector
fitted in minutes two and all that needs to be done now is go back in a
weeks time and repaint the ceiling...I'll have to seal it in first with
undercoat then emulsion over the lot because it's badly stained now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

So is that just a generic "I hate landlords" grunt, or does your remark
have some bearing or relevance to the OP's post?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Utter *******s aren't we?, getting up and rushing round there in person,
rather than pacifying them with lies and promising to get it fixed asap
before going back to bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:

Bloody landlords.

Utter *******s aren't we?, getting up and rushing round there in person,
rather than pacifying them with lies and promising to get it fixed asap
before going back to bed.

You give them your house to live in, you're on call 24/7, you put up
with their misuse and abuse of your property, their expectations that
you not only will but OUGHT to give them credit and/or money... yeah,
isnt he a bar steward. What are some people on eh.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Woke by phone ringing at 9AM....tennant: 'water ****ing through my
living room ceiling'
me: 'is it dripping or running'?
- 'it's running'
I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in
ten mins.

How did you get your properties Phillip?

Take out a mortgage and let the council pay it.

Rude awakening indeed...thats what you're there for hail.,rain or snow.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Better one than that !
Got a call from a tennant - " hot water coming through bathroom light "
Turned out tennant in upper flat was washing down the bathroom floor with
the shower.

Also, another one. Tennant " water coming down the kitchen walls" . The
tennant in the upper flat had a leaky washing machine and was 'brushing' the
water to the side of the walls so it 'went away'

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Phil L wrote:
Woke by phone ringing at 9AM....tennant: 'water ****ing through my
living room ceiling'
me: 'is it dripping or running'?
- 'it's running'
I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in
ten mins.

How did you get your properties Phillip?

Take out a mortgage and let the council pay it.

Rude awakening indeed...thats what you're there for hail.,rain or snow.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john wrote:
Better one than that !
Got a call from a tennant - " hot water coming through bathroom light
" Turned out tennant in upper flat was washing down the bathroom
floor with the shower.

Also, another one. Tennant " water coming down the kitchen walls" .
The tennant in the upper flat had a leaky washing machine and was
'brushing' the water to the side of the walls so it 'went away'

Do you normally have beer as tenants?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

You obviously expect a medal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Woke by phone ringing at 9AM....tennant: 'water ****ing through my
living room ceiling'
me: 'is it dripping or running'?
- 'it's running'
I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in
ten mins.

How did you get your properties Phillip?

Take out a mortgage and let the council pay it.

Rude awakening indeed...thats what you're there for hail.,rain or snow.

Though admittedly, it's going to be much, much harder to actually get
internal hail or snow, than rain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Not really, the £500 per month makes up for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Aha - pikey area

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Aha - pikey area

not at all, I could get an extra £50 per week for it, but it means short
tennancies, IE, different people moving in and out every few months, and the
subsequent repairs / decorating / etc...I'd much rather have a long term
tennant and get less for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

How d'you figure that without any info about size and location of the
property?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a house.

But then again he probably guessed by house rent in shrewsbury.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Hardly high class round here and next door (3 bed) is rented out at
£1000 / month

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in ten
mins.
putting shoes on and phone goes again, 'I can't turn the tap, it's too
stiff'...

After several incidents where the main tap could not be turned off in
an emergency I have decided it's a good idea to turn off all taps once
a year to make sure they still work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"Matty F" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil L wrote:

I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in ten
mins.
putting shoes on and phone goes again, 'I can't turn the tap, it's too
stiff'...

After several incidents where the main tap could not be turned off in
an emergency I have decided it's a good idea to turn off all taps once
a year to make sure they still work.

Also don't leave them turned on full, crank them back a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Hardly high class round here and next door (3 bed) is rented out at
£1000 / month

That's hardly high class too.....and how much would those houses have cost 5
years ago? - this one cost 30K and is now worth in excess of 95K, £500 pm is
more than double the mortgage payment

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
raden wrote:
Hardly high class round here and next door (3 bed) is rented out at
£1000 / month

That's hardly high class too.....and how much would those houses have cost 5
years ago? - this one cost 30K and is now worth in excess of 95K, £500 pm is
more than double the mortgage payment

All the more reason not to complain when you have to earn your money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
raden wrote:
Hardly high class round here and next door (3 bed) is rented out at
£1000 / month

That's hardly high class too.....and how much would those houses
have cost 5 years ago? - this one cost 30K and is now worth in
excess of 95K, £500 pm is more than double the mortgage payment

All the more reason not to complain when you have to earn your money.

It wasn't a complaint, it was a warning to others about loose floorboards
and the possible damage they can cause if ignored

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

snip

|Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a house.

No, obviously not.

Especially as £500 per month is NOT £125 per week.

Now, I didn't pass my maths o'level all those years ago. But even
I can work out that it comes to £115.38 per week.

H.
--
Pontins History E-Mail:
Please visit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

It wasn't a complaint, it was a warning to others about loose
floorboards and the possible damage they can cause if ignored

Do you know a property owner/Lanlord with the initials PM Phillip?

Big stocky bloke, slightly over 6ft.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howie wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

snip

Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a
house.

No, obviously not.

Especially as £500 per month is NOT £125 per week.

Now, I didn't pass my maths o'level all those years ago. But even
I can work out that it comes to £115.38 per week.

H.

I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a week.
:-P

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Phil L wrote:

It wasn't a complaint, it was a warning to others about loose
floorboards and the possible damage they can cause if ignored

Do you know a property owner/Lanlord with the initials PM Phillip?

Big stocky bloke, slightly over 6ft.

Not really...where's his properties? - how many does he have?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Phil L wrote:

It wasn't a complaint, it was a warning to others about loose
floorboards and the possible damage they can cause if ignored

Do you know a property owner/Lanlord with the initials PM Phillip?

Big stocky bloke, slightly over 6ft.

Not really...where's his properties? - how many does he have?

Quite a few with a couple of offies as well.

Drives a 4x4.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:15:29 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

|Howie wrote:
| On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
| wrote:
|
| snip
|
| Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a
| house.
|
| No, obviously not.
|
| Especially as £500 per month is NOT £125 per week.
|
| Now, I didn't pass my maths o'level all those years ago. But even
| I can work out that it comes to £115.38 per week.
|
| H.
|
|I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a week.
|:-P

Oh dear. Well, at least we now know why you didn't pass yours.

Just out of interest, are you also in some sort of suspended
animation for four weeks out of every year?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

In message , Lobster
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

Not really, the £500 per month makes up for it.

Aha - pikey area

How d'you figure that without any info about size and location of the
property?

Hardly high class round here and next door (3 bed) is rented out at
£1000 / month

South of Watford then. Here oop int' North you'd get an extremely nice
2-bedder for less than £500 in a good area (but then I suppose anywhere
North of Watford is a pikey area, eh?!)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Howie wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

snip

Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a
house.

No, obviously not.

Especially as £500 per month is NOT £125 per week.

Now, I didn't pass my maths o'level all those years ago. But even
I can work out that it comes to £115.38 per week.

H.

I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a
week. :-P

Did you work that out using a torque wrench by any chance?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Matty F writes
Phil L wrote:

I told her to turn the water of at the main and I would be there in ten
mins.
putting shoes on and phone goes again, 'I can't turn the tap, it's too
stiff'...

After several incidents where the main tap could not be turned off in
an emergency I have decided it's a good idea to turn off all taps once
a year to make sure they still work.

It's also a good idea not to leave the tap turned fully on

always turn it back a quarter turn

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Howie wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

snip

Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a
house.

No, obviously not.

Especially as £500 per month is NOT £125 per week.

Now, I didn't pass my maths o'level all those years ago. But even
I can work out that it comes to £115.38 per week.

H.

I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a week.

Nor English, presumably ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:29:55 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Quite so.
Nevertheless, it's a good idea to have a look around each time you go to do
some work. A stitch in 9 etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:07:22 +0000, Howie wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

snip

|Doesn't take a genius to work that one out ie £125 a week rent on a house.

No, obviously not.

Especially as £500 per month is NOT £125 per week.

Now, I didn't pass my maths o'level all those years ago. But even
I can work out that it comes to £115.38 per week.

H.

You get quite adept at your 4 1/3 times tables in this game.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a
week. :-P

Did you work that out using a torque wrench by any chance?

Now THAT made me laugh!!

Cheers

John

P.S. To The 3rd Earl, £500 x 12 (months) = £6000 divided by 52 (Weeks) =
£115.38 per week. Using your weekly amount (£125) x 52 = £6500 divided by
12 (months) = £541.67 per month. Look at your calender only ONE month a
year has exact 4 weeks (February) and that is only for three out of every
four years!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a
week. :-P

Did you work that out using a torque wrench by any chance?

Now THAT made me laugh!!

Cheers

John

P.S. To The 3rd Earl, £500 x 12 (months) = £6000 divided by 52
(Weeks) = £115.38 per week. Using your weekly amount (£125) x 52 =
£6500 divided by 12 (months) = £541.67 per month. Look at your
calender only ONE month a year has exact 4 weeks (February) and that
is only for three out of every four years!

Good job I'm not a landlord then ain't it I'd charge by the week rather
than the calender month, and gain nearly a full months rent.

Almost all tenancy agreements state...
£xxx per calender month

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a
week. :-P

Did you work that out using a torque wrench by any chance?

Now THAT made me laugh!!

Cheers

John

P.S. To The 3rd Earl, £500 x 12 (months) = £6000 divided by 52
(Weeks) = £115.38 per week. Using your weekly amount (£125) x 52 =
£6500 divided by 12 (months) = £541.67 per month. Look at your
calender only ONE month a year has exact 4 weeks (February) and that
is only for three out of every four years!

Good job I'm not a landlord then ain't it I'd charge by the week rather
than the calender month, and gain nearly a full months rent.

Almost all tenancy agreements state...
£xxx per calender month

YES and a calendAr (check your spelling!) month is 4.33333333333 weeks long
(52 divided by 12) , becsause, as I stated in my previous posting only ONE
month is 4 weeks (28 days) long. FFS DO THE CALCUlATION.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" typed

YES and a calendAr (check your spelling!) month is 4.33333333333
weeks long
(52 divided by 12) , becsause, as I stated in my previous posting only ONE
month is 4 weeks (28 days) long. FFS DO THE CALCUlATION.

I thought there were more than 364 days in a year, but my 'O' Levels
were over 3 decades ago...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I didn't pass my maths o'level neither...but I still make it £125 a
week. :-P

Did you work that out using a torque wrench by any chance?

Now THAT made me laugh!!

Cheers

John

P.S. To The 3rd Earl, £500 x 12 (months) = £6000 divided by 52
(Weeks) = £115.38 per week. Using your weekly amount (£125) x 52 =
£6500 divided by 12 (months) = £541.67 per month. Look at your
calender only ONE month a year has exact 4 weeks (February) and that
is only for three out of every four years!

This is the scam the van leasing people use "Contract Hire This Van For £43
Per Week. So you think "Hmmm £172 a month"

First it's + VAT so that £43 becomes £50.53 (that b*st*rd Brown gets
£7.53). Multiply that by 52 and divide by 12 and suddenly that £43 a
week/£172 a month is now £219 a month.

This 52/12 + VAT scam is also used by advertising sales cretins.

Sorry - thats unfair to cretins.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:04:48 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|This is the scam the van leasing people use "Contract Hire This Van For £43
|Per Week. So you think "Hmmm £172 a month"

Erm.. I wouldn't. So, not a scam. Where's the deceit?

|First it's + VAT so that £43 becomes £50.53 (that b*st*rd Brown gets
|£7.53).

No he doesn't. Only if you contract-hire a van and don't register
for VAT. Then he does. Well, _he_ doesn't, - the country does.
But why would you choose NOT to be VAT registered?

|Multiply that by 52 and divide by 12 and suddenly that £43 a
|week/£172 a month is now £219 a month.

£186.33 (because you claim the VAT back).

|This 52/12 + VAT scam is also used by advertising sales cretins.

'Cretin' implies stupidity. And I can't see any.

'Scam' implies deceit. Where's the deceit?

|Sorry - thats unfair to cretins.
Let's not discuss cretins ;-)