Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workshop renovation

I've just moved in to a new workshop and I clearly have a spot of
'renovation' to do.
The building ( aka shed ) is 40' x40', of wooden construction on a
concrete floor, corrugated aluminium sloping roof.
The south wall is fitted with lapped planks - half of the wall is
lined externally with 1/2" ply, the rest is just lapped planks -
there's a 7'x4' window in it.
The west wall is just 3/4" compressed chipboard, but the roof extends
over it to form an open shed.
The east wall is 1/2"ply, lined internally with thin fibreboard - and
the north wall is compressed chipboard again, with the roof extending
over it.

My main priority is keeping moisture out - condensation is a big
problem at the moment, especially with the roof.

I intend to remove the lapped planks on the south wall and make good
with 1/2" exterior ply before replacing the planks, and lining the
interior with 1/2"ply. Building on the existing frame will leave a 3"
air gap between the boards.
The east wall, also framed, will get the same treatment internally.
The west wall I hoped I could get away with simply cladding over with
1/2"ply - and the north wall will have to be lined externally as
there's no access to in internally.

As regards the roof, I've sealed up the holes where the rainwater was
getting in, but it obviously needs boxing in and insulating.

Any comments, suggestions?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:02:20 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

Any comments, suggestions?

Regards,

It may be a totally stupid suggestion but what about getting those
people that spray foam onto roofs from the inside of the loft to seal
and insulate the tiles/slates?

It seems similar to the orange foam that comes from sheds in large
spray cans. It seals and insulates and is a quick process for large
flattish areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

It may be a totally stupid suggestion

Spot on.

but what about getting those
people that spray foam onto roofs from the inside of the loft to seal
and insulate the tiles/slates?

You're a bad man. A BAD man!

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any comments, suggestions?

Regards,

It may be a totally stupid suggestion but what about getting those
people that spray foam onto roofs from the inside of the loft to seal
and insulate the tiles/slates?

It seems similar to the orange foam that comes from sheds in large
spray cans. It seals and insulates and is a quick process for large
flattish areas.

Easier to glue polystyrene sheets I would think
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

[...]

Build a proper block workshop inside it incorporating all the
insulation that you need.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:27:19 +0000, Grunff wrote:

EricP wrote:

It may be a totally stupid suggestion

Spot on.

but what about getting those
people that spray foam onto roofs from the inside of the loft to seal
and insulate the tiles/slates?

You're a bad man. A BAD man!

/me slinks orf to find a stone to get under!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

Build a proper block workshop inside it incorporating all the
insulation that you need.

Single skin metal roofing and a frosty night is a recipe for internal
rain:-)

I have not tried this myself but I have been told that trapping a layer
of air under the sheeting with fine mesh plastic netting helps. Others
may know different. Fire risk might be an issue.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Tim Lamb contains these words:

Single skin metal roofing and a frosty night is a recipe for internal
rain:-)

Likewise with corrugated plastic.

--
Skipweasel