Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default brick bolts

Has anyone used these?
Most impressed with the simplicity of them, they are simply a bolt with a
wide thread, you drill the hole through the timber and into the masonry and
then knock it in and tighten with a spanner or socket, you can hear the
timber splintering and crunching as it tightens, ideal for anything you
would normally use a rawlbolt, for or things like gateposts where screws
tend to fail due to the plug disintegrating.
The main advantage over rawlbolts is that they are only one piece, with RB's
they tend not to tighten and you can't get them back out once the steel
sleeving has expanded behind the timber

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used these

Very happy with them, with the caveat that the masonry drilling must be
exactly right and not accidently enlarged in any way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've used these

Very happy with them, with the caveat that the masonry drilling must
be exactly right and not accidently enlarged in any way.

They are the ones, although I wouldn't buy them from Screwfix...they are
available single at a local hardware store for about 40p...WRT drilling,
it's easier to drill straight through wood and brick with the same bit, this
stops 'shake' or misalignement of holes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default brick bolts: Multi Monti

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
wrote:
I've used these

Very happy with them, with the caveat that the masonry drilling must
be exactly right and not accidently enlarged in any way.

They are the ones, although I wouldn't buy them from Screwfix...they are
available single at a local hardware store for about 40p...WRT drilling,
it's easier to drill straight through wood and brick with the same bit,
this stops 'shake' or misalignement of holes

Yeah, pricey but worth it in time saved, I havn't found anywhere cheaper
than Screwfix, I see Machine Mart had them at similar prices when I was in
for the sale. Not just for brick, either. They are fine into various grades
of concrete block (wouldn't hold that well in lightweight) and into
limestone.Also you can put them pretty close to the edge of brick or block.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:44:05 GMT, Phil L wrote:

They are the ones, although I wouldn't buy them from Screwfix...they are
available single at a local hardware store for about 40p

I used hundreds of these things on a building project. Suitably impressive,
and I would use them again but at present all my building projects involve
either rubble walls or terracotta anti-seismic blocks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Has anyone used these?
Most impressed with the simplicity of them, they are simply a bolt
with a wide thread, you drill the hole through the timber and into
the masonry and then knock it in and tighten with a spanner or
socket, you can hear the timber splintering and crunching as it
tightens, ideal for anything you would normally use a rawlbolt, for
or things like gateposts where screws tend to fail due to the plug
disintegrating. The main advantage over rawlbolts is that they are only
one piece,
with RB's they tend not to tighten and you can't get them back out
once the steel sleeving has expanded behind the timber

Do you mean like these?

I've never used them but often wondered if they were as good as they seem.

Any experience appreciated.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are the ones, although I wouldn't buy them from Screwfix...they are
available single at a local hardware store for about 40p...WRT drilling,
it's easier to drill straight through wood and brick with the same bit, this
stops 'shake' or misalignement of holes

Yes, that's how I installed all the window frames (using 6*140 t-star
countersunk) and a doorframe for some very heavy doors (10*140 hex
head). I'm about to fit a lot of steel joist hangars with 4 of 10*140
per hangar - a wooden drilling guide will help with consistant
positioning - good thinking that man.Whacking the 10mm ones in with a
cordless impact driver with a socket on the front works well (cordless
drill can easily handle 6mm). Dead useful cheap accessory:

Which hardware store did you see them in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Has anyone used these?
Most impressed with the simplicity of them, they are simply a bolt
with a wide thread, you drill the hole through the timber and into
the masonry and then knock it in and tighten with a spanner or
socket, you can hear the timber splintering and crunching as it
tightens, ideal for anything you would normally use a rawlbolt, for
or things like gateposts where screws tend to fail due to the plug
disintegrating. The main advantage over rawlbolts is that they are
only one piece,
with RB's they tend not to tighten and you can't get them back out
once the steel sleeving has expanded behind the timber

Do you mean like these?

I've never used them but often wondered if they were as good as they
seem.
Any experience appreciated.

They are good, also cheap, quicker, easier and stronger than other
fixings...they may be a bit OTT for door/window frames etc, but I believe
there's also self tapping screws long the same lines, the end of the thread
is made of something which cuts a thread into the actual brick/stone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Phil L wrote:
Has anyone used these?
Most impressed with the simplicity of them, they are simply a bolt
with a wide thread, you drill the hole through the timber and into
the masonry and then knock it in and tighten with a spanner or
socket, you can hear the timber splintering and crunching as it
tightens, ideal for anything you would normally use a rawlbolt, for
or things like gateposts where screws tend to fail due to the plug
disintegrating. The main advantage over rawlbolts is that they are only
one piece,
with RB's they tend not to tighten and you can't get them back out
once the steel sleeving has expanded behind the timber

Do you mean like these?

I've never used them but often wondered if they were as good as they seem.

Any experience appreciated.

--

I once fixed the top timber of a lean-to shed to a concrete block wall with
similar fixings. Very easy to fix and apparently very very strong.

I was under the impression I had got them from Wickes, in fact I remember
the packet and it mentioning how they were suitable for use close to the
edge of the material to be fixed to. Can't find them on their web site
though, so perhaps they don't do them, strange if they if so because they
were very good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Phil L wrote:
Has anyone used these?
Most impressed with the simplicity of them, they are simply a bolt with a
wide thread, you drill the hole through the timber and into the masonry and
then knock it in and tighten with a spanner or socket, you can hear the
timber splintering and crunching as it tightens, ideal for anything you
would normally use a rawlbolt, for or things like gateposts where screws
tend to fail due to the plug disintegrating.
The main advantage over rawlbolts is that they are only one piece, with RB's
they tend not to tighten and you can't get them back out once the steel
sleeving has expanded behind the timber

I cant see the advantage of these in comparison to a typical hammerfix
fixing. In fact the hammerfix would be cheaper,quicker to use,
removable and just as secure.

dg