Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bungalows vs houses

Hi All,
Ok, I realise this is a bit off topic, but I reckon that you home-loving
guys and girls might have a view on this so I thought I'd ask anyway.

Basically I'm a first time buyer considering buying a 2 bedroom bungalow
property in a pleasant area. [Of course, we could have endless discussion on
the state of the current housing market but let's not go there (unless you
want to)]. Anyway, I would pay a bit of a premium for the bungalow because
of the convenience of the location and the quietness of the area, and I
could probably get a 3 bedroom semi-detached house in a less desirable area
for the same money which would give me more space. The estate is primarily
occupied by pensioners although there are a few young and middle-aged
couples on the estate. I've been getting a bit of a 'ribbing' from my mates
for considering a 'granny-home', although on most practical grounds the
property seems to be well matched although not having lived on my own before
it's a bit difficult to tell how quickly or not I'd use the available space.
Extending into the loft would be a long-term option if required - the
current owners have already had architects plans for this.

What do you think?. What are the pros/cons of purchasing a bungalow vs
buying a traditional 2 storey property for 30-something singleton such as
myself?. Any other comments or suggestions are gratefully received.

Dave