Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

Default Baxi Bermuda central heating problem.

Baxi Bermuda back boiler
Servowarm valve(?) for switching HW/Radiators to H/w only.

The Servowarm valve has been knackered for a few years, we switch the
radiators off manually in the Spring, it all used to work wonderfully
until recently when the boiler would fire up to heat the HW as normal,
but then shut down after 2-3 minutes. The central heating pump (
Grundfos UPS 15-50x ) also started making a low whining noise, we could
hear it clearly. Normally it is very difficult to hear the pump in
operation.

I assume the pump is knackered ( must be 20 years old ) Is it
advisable to replace this pump with a Wickes 'own brand' central heating
pump? We have 6 radiators.

The Servowarm switch needs to be replaced, but what with?

Servowarm installed this system 15 years ago and I'm unable to find a
drain point, is it easy to drain the system by taking a radiator off? If
so, what's the best way of doing this as I can visualize a water based
disaster ahead.

Also, before I do this, would it be sensible to drain the H/W cylinder
and put Soda crystals in the header tank to descale the H/W system, or am
I about to destroy my central heating system, marriage and life.

I have had a quote from a local heating engineers to fix it all for me,
but to be honest, even after a lay down in a darkened room, I still don't
feel well.

Any advice welcome

Gel.
--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by".
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gel wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what a 'Servowarm' valve is - but presume it's just a motorised
valve. How many pipes are directly connected to it? Does it also have an
electrical connection? When the system is working properly, does the pump
run when the HW is being heated without the CH being on, or does it only
come on for the CH?

If you answer these questions, we'll be able to understand your system
better, and give more sensible advice. If you can take some photos of this
valve, and the pump, and your HW cylinder - and upload them somewhere and
post a link here - even better!

Meanwhile the pump almost certainly needs replacing. A Wickes pump will
probably do if you want a cheaper one than another Grunfos. I don't see any
need to touch the HW cylinder - the HW system is separate from the primary
circuit - which is the bit giving you grief at the moment. [That's all
assuming that you haven't got an 'orrible Primatic cylinder - but that will
be clearer if you can provide some piccis].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gel" wrote in message

[...]

I've come across a couple of Servowarm installations. Check your header
tank hasn't run dry. Believe it or not, Servowarm user to install header
tanks without cold mains feed (i.e. filled it up before they left by way of
a bucket, then scarpered). Unbelievable.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in
:

"Gel" wrote in message

Baxi Bermuda back boiler
Servowarm valve(?) for switching HW/Radiators to H/w only.

I've come across a couple of Servowarm installations. Check your
header tank hasn't run dry. Believe it or not, Servowarm user to
install header tanks without cold mains feed (i.e. filled it up before
they left by way of a bucket, then scarpered). Unbelievable.

Angus

Thanks for all the help everyone, I shall post pics of valve etc.
ASAP.

Gel.

--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by".
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

Gel wrote in
:

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in
:

Thanks for all the help everyone, I shall post pics of valve etc.
ASAP.

Gel.

I've taken some pics of pump and valve;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gels23/...tch/index.html

The switch does not have an electrical connection, the pump comes on
whenever the boiler is on.

I shall not touch the HW cylinder, I will fit a drain point somewhere
suitable and drain. Then replace the servowarm switch and pump ( with new
valves, I have been warned ) then Fournox.

thanks again.

Gel.

--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by".
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gel wrote:

I've taken some pics of pump and valve;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gels23/...tch/index.html

The switch does not have an electrical connection, the pump comes on
whenever the boiler is on.

This so called "Servowarm" valve is clearly a mechanical valve. My best
guess is that all it does is to apportion how much of the boiler/pump flow
goes to the HW coil and how much to the CH. I certainly wouldn't replace it
like for like - even if a replacement were available. A far better solution
would be to install a motorised 3-port mid-position valve in place of this
crude device, and convert the system into a half-way decent Y-Plan system.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in
:

Gel wrote:

I've taken some pics of pump and valve;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gels23/...tch/index.html

The switch does not have an electrical connection, the pump comes on
whenever the boiler is on.

This so called "Servowarm" valve is clearly a mechanical valve. My
best guess is that all it does is to apportion how much of the
boiler/pump flow goes to the HW coil and how much to the CH. I
certainly wouldn't replace it like for like - even if a replacement
were available. A far better solution would be to install a motorised
3-port mid-position valve in place of this crude device, and convert
the system into a half-way decent Y-Plan system.

Thanks Roger, I have changed the pump ( Grundfos UPS 15 50 ) and the
system works again. I shall look into a 3 port mid position valve very
soon.

Thanks for all the comments,

Gel.