Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor Boards On Concrete

Righto, here we go:

We are going to install 65 Sq Yards of Floor boards in our house. The
existing floor is concrete, so I plan on putting in battens (Tanellised, as
per previous suggestion) as "joists" to support the floorboards.

These battens or joists will 18 inches apart.

Question is how do I fix the battens to the concrete floor ?

I don't fancy drilling lots of holes, filling with Rawl Plugs and screwing
down the battens. So I've seen Concrete Screws, sold as Tapcon Screws. Any
one had experience of using these ? Or any other suggestions ?

Cheers

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Rees MW1LCR wrote:

Question is how do I fix the battens to the concrete floor ?

Drill, plug, screw.

I don't fancy drilling lots of holes, filling with Rawl Plugs and screwing
down the battens. So I've seen Concrete Screws, sold as Tapcon Screws. Any
one had experience of using these ? Or any other suggestions ?

For something like battens, which will be subjected to millions of load
cycles over their lifetime (people walking on the boards), you need
something between the screw metal and the concrete. If you don't have
this, the holes will slowly widen, and the screws will come out.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
Adrian Rees MW1LCR wrote:

Question is how do I fix the battens to the concrete floor ?

I don't fancy drilling lots of holes, filling with Rawl Plugs and screwing
down the battens. So I've seen Concrete Screws, sold as Tapcon Screws. Any
one had experience of using these ? Or any other suggestions ?

For something like battens, which will be subjected to millions of load
cycles over their lifetime (people walking on the boards), you need
something between the screw metal and the concrete. If you don't have
this, the holes will slowly widen, and the screws will come out.

Put some lead under them to deaden sound and put a layer of tar between
the concrete and the lead and the lead and the 3 x 2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Rees MW1LCR" wrote in message
Righto, here we go:

We are going to install 65 Sq Yards of Floor boards in our house. The
existing floor is concrete, so I plan on putting in battens (Tanellised,
as
per previous suggestion) as "joists" to support the floorboards.

These battens or joists will 18 inches apart.

Question is how do I fix the battens to the concrete floor ?

I don't fancy drilling lots of holes, filling with Rawl Plugs and screwing
down the battens. So I've seen Concrete Screws, sold as Tapcon Screws. Any
one had experience of using these ? Or any other suggestions ?

Cheers

Adrian

Do you need to fasten the battens down? If properly packed and with
furniture on top is it necessary?

While you are at it install some insulation between the battens if you can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hire a hilti gun or equivalent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

your batten spacing needs to be 14" min

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Grunff wrote:
Adrian Rees MW1LCR wrote:

Question is how do I fix the battens to the concrete floor ?

I don't fancy drilling lots of holes, filling with Rawl Plugs and screwing
down the battens. So I've seen Concrete Screws, sold as Tapcon Screws. Any
one had experience of using these ? Or any other suggestions ?

For something like battens, which will be subjected to millions of load
cycles over their lifetime (people walking on the boards), you need
something between the screw metal and the concrete. If you don't have
this, the holes will slowly widen, and the screws will come out.

Put some lead under them to deaden sound and put a layer of tar between
the concrete and the lead and the lead and the 3 x 2.

I was going to do this in my living room extension by taking up the
screed and putting batons on the slab until I discovered that it was
built without a dpc. I finished up digging out the concrete and putting
joists in , hopefully you will be ok.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Rees MW1LCR wrote:
Righto, here we go:

We are going to install 65 Sq Yards of Floor boards in our house. The
existing floor is concrete, so I plan on putting in battens (Tanellised, as
per previous suggestion) as "joists" to support the floorboards.

These battens or joists will 18 inches apart.

Question is how do I fix the battens to the concrete floor ?

Mm.
Tile cement?
(No) More ********?
Car body filler?
Hilti gun and big nails?
lay them down and in fill with screed?

I don't fancy drilling lots of holes, filling with Rawl Plugs and screwing
down the battens. So I've seen Concrete Screws, sold as Tapcon Screws. Any
one had experience of using these ? Or any other suggestions ?

Houses are not responsive to what you do or don't like doing: Only to
what actually works.

Cheers

Adrian