DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thermostat only kicks in over 25 degrees??? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/181122-thermostat-only-kicks-over-25-degrees.html)

ascension November 1st 06 08:35 AM

Thermostat only kicks in over 25 degrees???

I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over 25
and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is cold
these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Cheers
Ascension

The Natural Philosopher November 1st 06 09:04 AM

ascension wrote:
I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over 25
and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is cold
these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Cheers
Ascension

Either the stat is mis calibrated (sometimes you can pull the knob off
and reposition it) or your house is in fact at 25 degrees.

other than that it seems to be working.

[email protected] November 1st 06 09:06 AM

ascension wrote:

I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over 25
and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is cold
these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Cheers
Ascension

Sounds like youve connected to the wrong connection on the stat, so its
working in a/c mode. Apart from the neutral, there will be 3
connections, common, heating and ac, and you need common and heating
not ac.( Whether theyll be marked as that is another matter)

NT

The Wanderer November 1st 06 09:42 AM

On 1 Nov 2006 01:06:54 -0800, wrote:

ascension wrote:

I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over 25
and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is cold
these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Cheers
Ascension

Sounds like youve connected to the wrong connection on the stat, so its
working in a/c mode. Apart from the neutral, there will be 3
connections, common, heating and ac, and you need common and heating
not ac.( Whether theyll be marked as that is another matter)

..... quite often one is 'demand' and the other is 'satisfied' or similar.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Roger Mills November 1st 06 09:42 AM

ascension wrote:

I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over
25 and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is
cold these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Cheers
Ascension

Sounds like youve connected to the wrong connection on the stat, so
its working in a/c mode. Apart from the neutral, there will be 3
connections, common, heating and ac, and you need common and heating
not ac.( Whether theyll be marked as that is another matter)

I don't think that's the problem. Surely if it's wired for cooling rather
than heating, it would switch on when you turn the setting *down* rather
than up?
--
Cheers,
Roger

The Natural Philosopher November 1st 06 10:40 AM

Roger Mills wrote:

ascension wrote:

I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over
25 and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is
cold these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Cheers
Ascension

Sounds like youve connected to the wrong connection on the stat, so
its working in a/c mode. Apart from the neutral, there will be 3
connections, common, heating and ac, and you need common and heating
not ac.( Whether theyll be marked as that is another matter)

I don't think that's the problem. Surely if it's wired for cooling rather
than heating, it would switch on when you turn the setting *down* rather
than up?

That was my thought too.

I have had stats that come on at 17 degrees when set to 22..

Never bothered to **** with them

Just turned em up or down till the room felt right.

like Spinal tap's amp, 'this one goes up to eleven'

6 November 1st 06 06:02 PM

Thermostat only kicks in over 25 degrees???

"ascension" wrote in message
oups.com...
I fitted a thermostat and it works just as a thermostat should except
that it will only click (led lights up) when dial is turned to over 25
and it fires up the boiler (0-25 - nothing at all). The house is cold
these days and i need this sorting ASAP. can anyone advise?

Get a digital one.
Press to set