Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Automatic Shower Pump

I have a 5 year old shower pump which wasn't turning off!
It started to be an intermittent fault but ended up continuously running.

I had a look at it today, put it back together and it is for the moment OK
though I've no idea why.
However, I'm intrigued as to how the automatic switching works; there looked
to be some sort of sensor adjacent to the outlets.
It's a John Sidney (who seem to have disappeared; the support line number
doesn't answer) Cascade Automatic 50 Twin.

If the problem returns, as I suspect it will, what are my options?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Curtis" wrote in message
I have a 5 year old shower pump which wasn't turning off!
It started to be an intermittent fault but ended up continuously running.

I had a look at it today, put it back together and it is for the moment OK
though I've no idea why.
However, I'm intrigued as to how the automatic switching works; there
looked to be some sort of sensor adjacent to the outlets.
It's a John Sidney (who seem to have disappeared; the support line number
doesn't answer) Cascade Automatic 50 Twin.

Flow switch I'd imagine. Start with shower tap off. No flow, so pump is
switched off. Turn on tap and you'll get a small flow due to the pressure
before the pump (ie the head of water), the small flow is detected (probably
an impellor) and switches in the pump. Close the tap, the pump will be
"pumping into a dead end" but the flow stops, flow switch turns off pump.

If the problem returns, as I suspect it will, what are my options?

I'd imagine the weak point is the flow switch. Is it in the pump or else
where? If it is in the pump and can't be repaired, a bit of electical
surgery may allow you to fit an external flow switch.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Curtis" wrote in message
I have a 5 year old shower pump which wasn't turning off!
It started to be an intermittent fault but ended up continuously running.

I had a look at it today, put it back together and it is for the moment OK
though I've no idea why.
However, I'm intrigued as to how the automatic switching works; there
looked to be some sort of sensor adjacent to the outlets.
It's a John Sidney (who seem to have disappeared; the support line number
doesn't answer) Cascade Automatic 50 Twin.

If the problem returns, as I suspect it will, what are my options?

Chris

I have some spare flow switches

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Curtis" wrote in message
I have a 5 year old shower pump which wasn't turning off!
It started to be an intermittent fault but ended up continuously running.

I had a look at it today, put it back together and it is for the moment OK
though I've no idea why.
However, I'm intrigued as to how the automatic switching works; there
looked to be some sort of sensor adjacent to the outlets.
It's a John Sidney (who seem to have disappeared; the support line number
doesn't answer) Cascade Automatic 50 Twin.

If the problem returns, as I suspect it will, what are my options?

Chris

I can't see any sign of what I would consider to be a flow switch.
As I've said, there is a sensor adjacent to both outlet connectors which
goes to a small circuit board but nothing obviously mechanical!
The problem returned this morning!

Chris