Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital electricity meter - red light on constantly!

I have a modern digital (LCD) electricity meter (installed around 2 yrs
ago, replacing the old spinning disc). It has a red light that flashes
so many times per kWh (as stated on the front) but sometimes when I
open the cupboard it shines red for a while (never time it and never
see it turn on anyway).
No significant current being drawn throughout the house, meter never
been fiddled with (before anyone asks!).
Once phoned the regional distribution company and they couldn't really
explain it.
Any ideas? Anything to worry about with regards to inaccuracy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it's the same unit as mine, then when the current draw is really
zero, the led stays on.

As I have a cordless phone base station plugged in, my current draw is
only ever zero when I opne the main switch. Try it an see if the red
led stays on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it's the same unit as mine, then when the current draw is really
zero, the led stays on.

As I have a cordless phone base station plugged in, my current draw is
only ever zero when I opne the main switch. Try it an see if the red
led stays on.

Why can't you just unplug that too?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has a red light that flashes so many times per kWh (as
stated on the front) but sometimes when I open the cupboard
it shines red for a while (never time it and never see it
turn on anyway).
No significant current being drawn throughout the house, meter never
been fiddled with (before anyone asks!).

It is designed to do that. The "on" time, at least on mine, isn't constant,
but also slows down as usage decreases. If you aren't using much leccy, then
both the "on" time and "off" time increase up until infinity (i.e. using no
power at all). When you see it do this again, try turning on a substantial
appliance, like your immersion and it will soon be blinking away like crazy.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/06 12:01, Christian McArdle wrote:
It has a red light that flashes so many times per kWh (as
stated on the front) but sometimes when I open the cupboard
it shines red for a while (never time it and never see it
turn on anyway).
No significant current being drawn throughout the house, meter never
been fiddled with (before anyone asks!).

It is designed to do that. The "on" time, at least on mine, isn't constant,
but also slows down as usage decreases. If you aren't using much leccy, then
both the "on" time and "off" time increase up until infinity (i.e. using no
power at all). When you see it do this again, try turning on a substantial
appliance, like your immersion and it will soon be blinking away like crazy.

As a purely academic question, does the meter draw the power for the
light from the supply side, or does it charge you for the power it uses?

- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
It has a red light that flashes so many times per kWh (as
stated on the front) but sometimes when I open the cupboard
it shines red for a while (never time it and never see it
turn on anyway).
No significant current being drawn throughout the house, meter never
been fiddled with (before anyone asks!).

It is designed to do that. The "on" time, at least on mine, isn't constant,
but also slows down as usage decreases. If you aren't using much leccy, then
both the "on" time and "off" time increase up until infinity (i.e. using no
power at all). When you see it do this again, try turning on a substantial
appliance, like your immersion and it will soon be blinking away like crazy.

Christian.

Who pays for the leccy on the red light?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who pays for the leccy on the red light?

Eventually, you do, whether it is metered or not.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a purely academic question, does the meter draw the power for the
light from the supply side, or does it charge you for the power it uses?

More to the point, does it consume more or less energy than the
spinning disc ?