Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil Stack - Connecting 2 WC's

Hi

Can two 100mm WC branches be connected into the stack at the same
vertical position if they are at 90 degrees to one another ?

I'm aware they have to be offset if connected directly opposite each
other, but what about at right angles ?

E.g., where O represents the stack:-

WC-----O----WC must be vertivcally offset

WC-----O ?
^

WC

Having perused the building regs., I'm none the wiser, so all advice
appreciated.

TIA,
Gareth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Oct 2006 13:02:48 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named
"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Can two 100mm WC branches be connected into the stack at the same
vertical position if they are at 90 degrees to one another ?

Having perused the building regs., I'm none the wiser, so all advice
appreciated.

90° apart is OK. Where they 'oppose' each other (i.e., at 180°), then
they must be 200mm apart vertically.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:29:47 +0000 Hugo Nebula wrote :

Can two 100mm WC branches be connected into the stack at the same
vertical position if they are at 90 degrees to one another ?

Having perused the building regs., I'm none the wiser, so all advice
appreciated.

90° apart is OK. Where they 'oppose' each other (i.e., at 180°), then
they must be 200mm apart vertically.

My reading of H1 Diagram 2 is that two WC branches can be opposite each
other as they are swept junctions, i.e. the flow will follow the radius
into the stack. What wouldn't be acceptable is a bath waste (boss type)
opposite a WC as this would tend to project the bath flow up the WC
branch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:16:00 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named Tony
Bryer randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

My reading of H1 Diagram 2 is that two WC branches can be opposite each
other as they are swept junctions, i.e. the flow will follow the radius
into the stack. What wouldn't be acceptable is a bath waste (boss type)
opposite a WC as this would tend to project the bath flow up the WC
branch.

It does say, "Opposed connections larger than 65mm (with swept
entries) should be offset at least 200mm irrespective of stack
diameter. Unopposed connections may be at any position." That
'larger than 65mm with swept entries' suggests that two WC branches
should be offset. Is there a typo, do you think, and it should say,
"without swept entries"?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
[...]

At http://www.polypipe.com/POLYPIPE/pp_html/soil/soiltech_frameset_07.html
diagrams of the allowable connections are shown. There is a note "No
connections may be made within the shaded areas. However, connections whose
centre lines are on the boundary of the zones are acceptable" I read that as
making opposite connections allowable (the vertical zone starts at the
centre line of the branch) and you can buy double branch fittings!

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:11:40 +0000 Hugo Nebula wrote :
It does say, "Opposed connections larger than 65mm (with swept
entries) should be offset at least 200mm irrespective of stack
diameter. Unopposed connections may be at any position." That
'larger than 65mm with swept entries' suggests that two WC branches
should be offset. Is there a typo, do you think, and it should say,
"without swept entries"?

On re-reading it I think your interpretation is right. It certain was
the rule in my BCO days (which is now admittedly going back 22 years)
that WC connections could be directly opposite or a minimum of 200mm
apart, nothing in between. Unfortunately a quick Google merely throws
up reworks of the AD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tony Bryer
writes
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:11:40 +0000 Hugo Nebula wrote :
It does say, "Opposed connections larger than 65mm (with swept
entries) should be offset at least 200mm irrespective of stack
diameter. Unopposed connections may be at any position." That
'larger than 65mm with swept entries' suggests that two WC branches
should be offset. Is there a typo, do you think, and it should say,
"without swept entries"?

On re-reading it I think your interpretation is right. It certain was
the rule in my BCO days (which is now admittedly going back 22 years)
that WC connections could be directly opposite or a minimum of 200mm
apart, nothing in between. Unfortunately a quick Google merely throws
up reworks of the AD.

BES appear to stock a double (opposed) branch in 110mm 92 1/2 & 112
1/2 degree versions (codes 13017 & 13018), looks like I have to look for
another design bible, I would have seen it there and assumed it was ok to
use.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:11:44 GMT someone who may be
wrote this:-

90° apart is OK. Where they 'oppose' each other (i.e., at 180°), then
they must be 200mm apart vertically.

So how are all the local new houses getting away with it, with two entering
at the same level on opposite sides via a proprietry fitting?

The last four words in your sentence are the important ones. Marley
did one at least a decade ago that allowed bath wastes to be
connected to the stack at the same level as a toilet connection,
which is very useful in many houses as it avoids dropping down into
the floor below.

Something for two toilets could work in a number of ways and this
will have been discussed with the relevant people before it was put
on the market.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh